Obsidian would like to work on Chrono Trigger

funcroc

It won't happen. Luckily, if you want my opinion.

While I very much enjoy Obsidian games :

1) When it comes to Chrono I only trust the original team... it's not so much the quality of the writing (it was a SNES JRPG with a very lighthearted plot all things considered) but it's a very japanese production.. and that makes me go to...

2) The audiences don't overlap in the slightest.

Note that Feargus just talked about it in a very 'I'd like to work on that one day' not a 'we're discussing it' or such. I don't think there's anything to read in that.

Even if the stars aligned and they got the okay to pursue something like that, I doubt that it'd really be a Chrono Trigger 2 since the original team didn't want to make Chrono Trigger 2 when they had a chance. I'd imagine it'd be much more like Chrono Cross in terms of relation to the earlier title (or not relation at all; a side story?)

That said, since Square-Enix seem to be intent on bringing a bigger presence in the Americas and Europe, I imagine that there are a number of currently defunct properties if they were going to mine their library that they could consider, in terms of getting something with some recognition amid long term gamers but that could also be freely updated.

Whether they'd want to is another matter, but some titles - cult appeal games like Quest's Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre, old popular arcade titles like Taito's Cadash or something from Enix's past (I'm blanking on a title though, as the only Enix titles I can think of - Dragon Warrior, Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile they're using. I know Enix published The 7th Saga (developed by Produce) and ActRaiser (developed by Quintet) but I'm not sure they own those IPs) - did make some headway into the US markets back in their day.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yea, it's just a casual chat. That said, Chrono Trigger is an oddball for JRPGs. Choice and consequences with time travel factor were interesting. Also, NPCs had their own issues and, if the players care enough to solve them with sub quests, they are reflected to the "ending." To me, why not Obsidian? Except that...style. Characters may appear too anime for Western audiences. That said, I cannot think of CT without those cute characters. They are drawn by the same artist, Akira Toriyama, who are infamous of his Dragon Ball and Dragon Quest series (yea, that spiked hair "style"). Can you imagine Brian Menze drawing like this. :shifty:

059dd_chrono_trigger.jpg

The below is my favorite. I like the style of Toriyama in slapstick comedy (Yea...Dragon Ball is a slapstick comedy if you look at it in that way :)).dr_slump_002.jpg

vault-boy-childkiller.jpg

Maybe, a different type of humor?

Another thing is, as Feargus pointed out, Western RPGamers tend to like choices in building characters with a through rule-set. While the players can choose which characters they can take I Chrono Trigger, there are no choices in character advancements.

If CT is too light-hearted, how about Tactics Ogres, which involves some serious themes such as ethnic conflicts? The story has some choice and consequences, which severely affect on the endings. Also, the game-play is turn-based tactical combat.

I haven' t played many JRPGs but, I think, these works have some factors which Obsidian designers may like to play with.

Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warriors are Dragon Quest. Enix couldn't use the name for American market since there was a PnP RPG classic called Dragon Quest.

If CT is too light-hearted, how about Tactics Ogres, which involves some serious themes such as ethnic conflicts? The story has some choice and consequences, which severely affect on the endings. Also, the game-play is turn-based tactical combat.

I haven' t played many JRPGs but, I think, these works have some factors which Obsidian designers may like to play with.

The nice thing about Tactics Ogre is it has alignment (Chaos, Law, Neutral) and already has a class system, so from the standpoint of being able to create your character you'd have sort of a setup already. Characters can choose from Soldiers, Ninjas, Archers, Wizards, Clerics, Knights, Swordmasters & Valkyries, Dragoons & Sirens, Warlocks & Witches, Beast Tamers & Dragon Tamers, Priests, excorcist, gunner, Terror Knight, Amazon, Berzerker, etc.. You could develop racial types based on those seen in the games - Human, Hawkmen, Fairies, Mermaids, Giants - as well and you've got the beginnings of a character creation system I think and choice and consequences.

It wouldn't really be the same as the original series, but the original series - as is - will probably never be revisited by Square-Enix.

Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warriors are Dragon Quest. Enix couldn't use the name for American market since there was a PnP RPG classic called Dragon Quest.

Indeed.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The nice thing about Tactics Ogre is it has alignment (Chaos, Law, Neutral) and already has a class system, so from the standpoint of being able to create your character you'd have sort of a setup already. Characters can choose from Soldiers, Ninjas, Archers, Wizards, Clerics, Knights, Swordmasters & Valkyries, Dragoons & Sirens, Warlocks & Witches, Beast Tamers & Dragon Tamers, Priests. You could develop racial types based on those seen in the games - Human, Hawkmen, Fairies, Mermaids, Giants - as well and you've got the beginnings of a character creation system I think and choice and consequences.
You are right about TO. I meant CT in that passage.

It wouldn't really be the same as the original series, but the original series - as is - will probably never be revisited by Square-Enix.
Yea, I'd like to see Obsidian's version although this is just a light chat among designers.

You are right about TO. I meant CT in that passage.

Yeah, CT and CC both are really built more around already designed characters - although even that can be filtered a bit through Western development but I don't think there's a clear path to take in terms of what do you give the Player control of.

Yea, I'd like to see Obsidian's version although this is just a light chat among designers.

Yeah sure, I think its a total hypothetical situation.

Tactics Ogre > Final Fantasy Tactics.

Oooo, yeah, went there!

Tactics Ogre > Final Fantasy Tactics.

Oooo, yeah, went there!

Tears to Tiara, the real original PC game was quite good, if you like fantasy, you are an adult, and don't hate anime style you should play it, awesome story setting based on roman/christian/arthurian history

IB1OsQq.png

I don't get it. How does Obsidian have the resources and manpower to make all these games? They're an independent developer for one. None of their game have been very successful commercially. Their most recent game completely bombed both critically and commercially. Wouldn't they be better off concentrating on one game at a time?