I'm sorry I almost didn't buy this game!

I read all the mixed reviews for it and kept going back and forth between getting it but I'm glad I bought it! the game is alot of fun to play through and I'm working on my second playthrough now trying things differently. The first time I played more of a suave and professional character this time I'm playing him more aggressive and hardened. I'm kind of mixing things up I put points into sneaking, AR, Pistol and health. Last time I was a commando guy but I wanted to be able to sneak around more but I thought being good with an AR would help with the boss characters. This is one game I will be enjoying for years to come!

Yeah it's apparently not a game for everyone (peeps who love shooters) but I agree. It's a great game! I hope that it catches more attention once Fall Out 3 comes out........ Obsidian deserves props!

Oh almost forgot:

Sneak builds for a run through are TOTALLY FUN. I'm just starting a 2nd play through as a commando guy. Was it fun? I can forsee some parts of the game being easier (in terms of murdering) and some parts harder (where with the spy build you could sneak around folks) but might have to confront them despite wanting to not kill any one. Just curious!

Edited by macrocarl

Yeah it's apparently not a game for everyone (peeps who love shooters) but I agree. It's a great game! I hope that it catches more attention once Fall Out 3 comes out........ Obsidian deserves props!

Oh almost forgot:

Sneak builds for a run through are TOTALLY FUN. I'm just starting a 2nd play through as a commando guy. Was it fun? I can forsee some parts of the game being easier (in terms of murdering) and some parts harder (where with the spy build you could sneak around folks) but might have to confront them despite wanting to not kill any one. Just curious!

yeah playing a more action oriented character is lots of fun to. It was rather fun going in guns a blazing although I did try to limit my casualties in certain levels I'm having fun trying to play more sneaky it can be kind of tricky sometimes but it's cool silently taking down guards

Yes that was my first reaction too.....what's all the negativity about this is great. However the longer you play the harder the game becomes to defend as you star slamming head first into the bad parts of the game. Ultimately while I enjoy it I can definitely see why it got the poor reviews and why it shouldn't have better ratings.

Yes that was my first reaction too.....what's all the negativity about this is great. However the longer you play the harder the game becomes to defend as you star slamming head first into the bad parts of the game. Ultimately while I enjoy it I can definitely see why it got the poor reviews and why it shouldn't have better ratings.

what do you think are the bad parts of the game? the only weird thing I noticed is sometimes the enemies accidently shoot each other I saw it happen twice during the saudia arabia mission and on my first playthrough I saw an enemy fist fighting the air. Other than that I haven't noticed anything wrong with it to tell you the truth

what do you think are the bad parts of the game? the only weird thing I noticed is sometimes the enemies accidently shoot each other I saw it happen twice during the saudia arabia mission and on my first playthrough I saw an enemy fist fighting the air. Other than that I haven't noticed anything wrong with it to tell you the truth

Let's see....

Broken achievements that you can't unlock by doing what they tell you to do like.....letting your gun do the talking.

Bypass minigame in way of mission critical point required 12 nodes to be bypassed in 20 secs where no other similar bypass required more than 6 nodes to be cut.

Tutorial lets you use EMP grenades to open a door without any sabotage skill and without telling you that in order to ever use one again you'll need one point in sabotage.

Poorly unbalanced economy......AP has enough funds to throw on luxurious safehouses and a zillion TVs and computers without ever leaving a money trail(since nobody knows of them there's no money trail hence they don't answer for where the funds went) but you have to scavange and pickpocket the dead to start hoping that at the end-game you can afford one good weapon without hope of better stealth armor or upgrades as gadgets and intel cost a lot.

Most missions insist on forcing you into fights even though the game clearly reprimands you many times for not going stealth and the major emphasis is on stealth. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/v...-Bullet-Massage

Poor AI......often stands looking at walls....I entered a few rooms surrounded by enemies all around and none saw me because they were literally watching the walls. Saw enemies glitching trying to run into a turret already occupied by another.....stuck half way down between a high point they jumped from and the ground and so on.

Horrible pop-in textures.

Ultimately the game is too happy to let you sink your points in skills that will be useless in a few key situations effectively leaving you stuck.

One time when I was at the train station in Moscow I entered this short dark tunnel, interacted with a switch that closed the door behind me and didn't open the one in front of me forcing me to restart the mission.

And so on......I'm sure there's at least a dozen things I'm forgetting about right now.

Man, why does every thread become the same with the same people making the same complaints? But then, I probably do it too... :p

I think there's a good lesson to be learnt though - make up your own mind, not from the reviews.

I sat on the fence for a while when AP came out and the reviews were all over the place. I had been looking forward to AP but then I wasn't so sure about it, given Obsidian's two previous titles that are a bit of a mixed bag I was very cyinal. In the end I caved and bought a copy.

And so far I've enjoyed myself playing AP though like KotOR II and NWN2 before it, it has it's share of faults that I'll learn to live with.

@Faust

Couldn't agree more! I was in the exact same boat. So glad I picked this game up, Im really enjoying playing. About to finish playthorugh one, number 2 to commence directly.

Oh and Fallen ghost, this is probably the stupidest thing I have ever heard anybody say to crack a game. Ever. And I look at a lot of game forums. Seriously, you need to edit your post to take this line out before anybody else reads it.

"Tutorial lets you use EMP grenades to open a door without any sabotage skill and without telling you that in order to ever use one again you'll need one point in sabotage."

Really? You actually typed that out after it popped into your head? Wow. FallenGhost FTL

@Faust

Couldn't agree more! I was in the exact same boat. So glad I picked this game up, Im really enjoying playing. About to finish playthorugh one, number 2 to commence directly.

Oh and Fallen ghost, this is probably the stupidest thing I have ever heard anybody say to crack a game. Ever. And I look at a lot of game forums. Seriously, you need to edit your post to take this line out before anybody else reads it.

"Tutorial lets you use EMP grenades to open a door without any sabotage skill and without telling you that in order to ever use one again you'll need one point in sabotage."

Really? You actually typed that out after it popped into your head? Wow. FallenGhost FTL

No that got me stuck on my first playthrough. It's a perfectly legitimate bug and proof the tutorial is broken. The tutorial should give you 3 advancement points and tell you to purchase one skill in Sabotage and ONLY then it should tell you to use an EMP grenade on the door or alternatively it shouldn't let the door be opened by the EMP grenade unless you have one point in sabotage. Letting me continue thinking that I'm fine as long as I have a couple EMPs on back-up for 80% of the game only suddenly and without reason have me need an EMP only to notice that it's useless is simply a bad design choice.

So if you think for one second I will or should delete that complaint then you're the most stupid person I've seen post around here.

You can't throw an EMP at the lock, and open it up?

I can understand how "using" an EMP to open the lock doesn't work, but can't you throw it onto the lock?

EMPs will not work at all in any way shape or form without 1 point in sabotage after the broken tutorial.

When you put in 1 point in sabotage, as the skill description states, you can now use the E (Use) key to automatically use an EMP. My guess is that the ability to simply 'throw' EMPs was removed late in game and the tutorial wasn't updated. So the functionality is fine - just sucks for the few people that get fooled by incorrect tutorial.

I'm finding that playing as a stealthy character is so satisfying? don't get me wrong being a commando is fun but so is sneaking around and taking out guards when they least expect it. I've been playing the missions in a different order to than in my first game and finding that you get a few new scenes and stuff like that.