The Reviews

1UP - B+

"Finally, it's probably worth mentioning that Alpha Protocol isn't a terribly long game. You could probably blow through the main plot in about a dozen hours, depending on how sidetracked you want to get with optional missions. That's not actually a bad thing, though. So much of the dialogue and story changes depend on your choices that it's absolutely worth revisiting at least once after the credits roll."

GamesRadar US - 7/10

"While its story, characters and conversations are interesting and fun to play around with, Alpha

Edited by funcroc

3 stars from GiantBomb (Out of 5) for PS3 and X360 versions.

Gerstmann reviewed it.

If you decide to play Alpha Protocol, just know that your main enemies over the course of its 15-or-so hours will be its collection of misery-inducing technical issues and the clash between its action and role-playing elements. There are parts of Alpha Protocol that I feel are totally amazing and absolutely worth seeing, but you'll have to trudge through a lot of very disappointing stuff just to see it.
Edited by MysterD

This game is good. I enjoyed it to the end, but come on, anyone saying it's better than Mass Effect 2 is clearly mental.

As an RPG yes it is. ME2 had pretty much no roleplaying left in the game. But as games in general they are pretty equal.

Hate the living, love the dead.

I have to admit, I was really worried when I read the reviews and was considering cancelling my preorder/shifting the money to another game... but I decided to go for it and pick the game up today.

I'm glad I did! While I don't want to call great game just yet, as I'm in Moscow (haven't visited Rome or Teipei yet) and I'm not sure how far into the game I'm in, I'm loving how the game reacts to choices and how events play out based on my choices.

The combat isn't nearly as awful as described by reviewers and while I've seen the AI do some dumb things (I don't get the tactical decision to break from combat and go try and climb a ladder) it hasn't been anything game breaking. I've found AP's combat much more exciting than either Deus Ex or Vampire: Bloodlines yet both games seemed to get a pass as far as combat goes. I really think Mass Effect 2 set a new standard for reviewers as far as combat in a RPG and anything less 'just doesn't cut it these days'. They seem to forget about good story telling and meaningful choices which AP seems to have. I do admit I'm not crazy about where the story seems to be heading

evil corporation... how original

but the missions have been fun and there is enough intrigue going on that its easy to overlook so far.

Really thought IGN would give it at least a 7 while watching the review.

I must admit, AP's AI doesn't seem anymore stupid than most games this gen. He complains of enemies rushing in, but they've did this in FO3 and ME too. ME2 had a decent cover system. So, I suppose one would expect a "spy" rpg to be more of a everyone takes cover and pops off some shots type of experience.

As much as I Am enjoying AP, it cannot hold a candle to Either Mass Effect 1 or 2. It's just the plain truth. Anyone saying otherwise is a pure fanboy of epic proportions.
ME 1 may be better on the technical side, but the AI is nonexistent (enemies running around between two points - except the geth snipers and Final Saren, who jump around between four points!, totally random ability usage), Mako controls are a sin against humanity, combat utterly imbalanced, cover unneeded (and useless anyway) after the first two missions, exploration...palette swapped planets, side missions taking place in all of two kinds of warehouses, some (and IMO the best) exposition delivered in text only in a pop-up at the mission's end, bugs which I thankfully did not encounter..

Ignoring the crapload of faults ME 1 had, and you call others epic fanboys? Pfft. applaudit.gif

You registered just so you could say that you love Mass Effect and anyone that disagrees is a fanboy Alphaboy48? :D

I think you are the fanboy. ;)

Mass Effect 1 & 2 are great games in their own right, but that is Sci-fi. It is completely different genre, those that like sci-fi will always like Mass Effect more, those that like fantasy will always go for things like Dragon Age, to compare Alpha Protocol to other genres is not exactly a good idea.

it has a similar gameplay style, but many action games do these days. If forced to compare, I would not say it is better, but just as good as Mass Effect 1, with less bugs, but as pretty as Mass Effect 2.

~R.I.P. Adam aka "Ild

As much as I Am enjoying AP, it cannot hold a candle to Either Mass Effect 1 or 2. It's just the plain truth. Anyone saying otherwise is a pure fanboy of epic proportions.
ME 1 may be better on the technical side, but the AI is nonexistent (enemies running around between two points - except the geth snipers and Final Saren, who jump around between four points!, totally random ability usage), Mako controls are a sin against humanity, combat utterly imbalanced, cover unneeded (and useless anyway) after the first two missions, exploration...palette swapped planets, side missions taking place in all of two kinds of warehouses, some (and IMO the best) exposition delivered in text only in a pop-up at the mission's end, bugs which I thankfully did not encounter..

Ignoring the crapload of faults ME 1 had, and you call others epic fanboys? Pfft. applaudit.gif

Everything you said had no explanation, just your blind opinion. good job with that argument /sarcasm

You registered just so you could say that you love Mass Effect and anyone that disagrees is a fanboy Alphaboy48? :D

I think you are the fanboy. ;)

Mass Effect 1 & 2 are great games in their own right, but that is Sci-fi. It is completely different genre, those that like sci-fi will always like Mass Effect more, those that like fantasy will always go for things like Dragon Age, to compare Alpha Protocol to other genres is not exactly a good idea.

it has a similar gameplay style, but many action games do these days. If forced to compare, I would not say it is better, but just as good as Mass Effect 1, with less bugs, but as pretty as Mass Effect 2.

Wow, I state an opinion as a simple matter of fact that is pretty plain to see by the main stream and the non-mainstream. I like AP okay!!!

My point is still true and I am no fanboy, fantasy or not, sci-fi or not, Mass Effect 1 and 2 are better in almost every category. Ap suffers from a lot of negatives. Massively buggy, no open world to play with. unless I'm mistaken, no vehicles. Also no squadmates, yes relationships but no squaddies, unless I'm mistaken again. This game suffers hugely, yet it is fun and has a very good story.

Everything you said had no explanation, just your blind opinion.
As much as I Am enjoying AP, it cannot hold a candle to Either Mass Effect 1 or 2. It's just the plain truth.

Uh-huh uh-huh. Unlike you I "at least" managed to list reasons, but feel free to ignore them, you're opinion-that's-fact is clearly superior to anyone's. o:)

Edited by Oner

Everything you said had no explanation, just your blind opinion.
As much as I Am enjoying AP, it cannot hold a candle to Either Mass Effect 1 or 2. It's just the plain truth.

Uh-huh uh-huh. Unlike you I "at least" managed to list reasons, but feel free to ignore them, you're opinion-that's-fact is clearly superior to anyone's. o:)

I never said that, but it seems we both are suffering from the same issue so it's like throwing stones that have your own name on it.

Either way AP is fun, I like it, but obviously ME is on a whole different level.

Sorry, a troll is only successful if he makes the target(s) angry, I was laughing. o:)

me too, hehe.

That is such a fanboy statement, whenever someone says something that is against what they believe, it becomes a automatic response - TROLL!!!

Trolls love to call other people trolls

Fanboys love to conTROLL everything don't they?

Edited by Alphaboy48

Troll and Fanboy aside for the moment.

Like or hate the game, their is no wrong. I hate Halo, does not make it a bad game, many people love it. AP's roleplay action mix hit the nail on the head for me, it plays well and has a great story. If you do not like it, or find it just acceptable, that is fine, but what does complaining achieve? Nothing.

~R.I.P. Adam aka "Ild

but what does complaining achieve? Nothing.

Complaining helps, to learn from faults. It's sometimes better than a lot of praise to improve a game.

Of course, complaining without reason and detail is worthless.

Sorry, a troll is only successful if he makes the target(s) angry, I was laughing. o:)

me too, hehe.

That is such a fanboy statement, whenever someone says something that is against what they believe, it becomes a automatic response - TROLL!!!

Since I'm one of the few people to criticize AP on this forums, calling me a fanboy is a joke. The fact you think ME is better does not make you a troll.

This does:

Either way AP is fun, I like it, but obviously ME is on a whole different level.
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Sorry, a troll is only successful if he makes the target(s) angry, I was laughing. :sorcerer:

me too, hehe.

Since I'm one of the few people to criticize AP on this forums, calling me a fanboy is a joke. The fact you think ME is better does not make you a troll.

This does:

Well I personally like ME better, does that make me a troll??? I think not. I never said I hated AP, in fact I like it.

I call this a serious case of fanboyism because when a person is so tight to the point of not being able to accept other people's opinion, they are butthurt over something and it is plain to see that the poor reviews this game has recieved is making more than a few people in need a butt pillow...with a lot of cusion., lol

I'll agree that ME is on a whole other level. In that it's a different style game :sorcerer:

It's more of a shooter (especially ME2). I prefer AP over both of the ME games so far though. (And I really liked both of the ME games, as evidenced by my posts on this forum that show me considering the comparisons to ME prior to release as being a good thing).

Edited by Thorton_AP

Sorry, a troll is only successful if he makes the target(s) angry, I was laughing. :lol:

me too, hehe.

This does:

Well I personally like ME better, does that make me a troll??? I think not. I never said I hated AP, in fact I like it.

I call this a serious case of fanboyism because when a person is so tight to the point of not being able to accept other people's opinion, they are butthurt over something and it is plain to see that the poor reviews this game has recieved is making more than a few people in need a butt pillow...with a lot of cusion., lol

Have you ever thought about the way you put it?

Honestly it came across as condescending and smug. Not exactly the way I'd like to present myself on a new forum. :sorcerer: