Why it's important to stop Al Qaeda

Walsingham

I'm going to go out on a limb and label rape as bad under every circumstance.

Prehistoric procreation? I'm not sure the human race would exist today without rape. Dating would have been so hard back 200,000 years ago.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

I will point out that no-one has, as yet, presented an argument as to why there is/is not any such thing as absolute good or absolute evil.

Furthermore, the first person to seriously put forward non-cognitivism gets fed to the hounds. That's not evil, incidentally; just a way of expressing the mood, "Boo to non-cognitivism!", or "Hooray to cognitivism!"

Yeah, but you're a fan of Aquinas, so naturally you don't take non-cognitivism seriously. That doesn't mean I do either, but I think non-cognitivism shows (or at least hints) that human beings are emotional as well as rational, and so it follows that approaching the question from a purely rational perspective is bound to fail. The problem of universals is old, and opinions abound, anyway.

Personally, I think that Kant's perspective is quite elegant, and avoids operating from direct definitions of good and evil. Conversely, it could be said that he simply sidestepped the issue. Again, opinions abound. Why can't we have mathematical demonstrations for everything? :(

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

If anybody here actually thinks Osama Bin Laden is a good, moral person, say it, I dare you.

I don't think that, but those who follow him obviously think differently and, according to his moral system, he would be. -_-

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

If anybody here actually thinks Osama Bin Laden is a good, moral person, say it, I dare you.

I don't think that, but those who follow him obviously think differently and, according to his moral system, he would be. :)

Well, yeah.....

Hey, are religious threads allowed, if they don't get too....."fighty"?

They are allowed, of course. We'll watch them closely, though. Like hawks. Like hawks on pogo sticks.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat: