UK Government drug Policy

Walsingham

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is alcohol isn't necessarily used to get drunk. It's actually considered a good thing to have a glass of wine with dinner, in fact it's beneficial. I personally don't believe in mood enhancing chemicals, whatever they might be. I don't see how you won't eventually come to rely on them as a crutch, even assuming no long term effect from moderate use. Even if that's not the case, I don't see how inhaling all that smoke can be good for the lungs.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

You seem to have learned what you know about cannabis from american college movies.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is alcohol isn't necessarily used to get drunk. It's actually considered a good thing to have a glass of wine with dinner, in fact it's beneficial. I personally don't believe in mood enhancing chemicals, whatever they might be.

Alright, so you don't "get" people who occasionally get drunk or high. Fine, but what has that got to do with weed being bad for the user? Or my right to get ****ed up every now and then as long as it doesn't hurt anyone (and weed doesn't).

I don't see how you won't eventually come to rely on them as a crutch, even assuming no long term effect from moderate use.

Again this is your bias against drugs. Most people do not agree with you, and think getting drunk or high now and then is relaxing and fun. Just like chocolate or excersize or even sex.

Even if that's not the case, I don't see how inhaling all that smoke can be good for the lungs.

I forgive you your ignorance, but cannabis (THC) can be used mixed with food or drink or vaporized, none of which damage the lungs.

Some people are genetically predisposed to substance abuse, and in the other end of the scale we have people who don't feel much in the way of withdrawal symptoms, be they physical or psychological. Cannabis is probably the easiest of them all to kick. Smoking is bad for your health, cigarettes or joints both, but that's not what we are discussing.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Why not, there's a campaign to stop the use of tobacco, eventually they'd probably like to make it illegal, yet we're trying to legalize pot at the same time.

Because cannabis has a lot of legitimate pros to it, cigarettes do not. I don't understand why you're even comparing the two, they have nothing in common besides that you can smoke both.

Nicotine is insanely addicting. It also smells horrid, stains everything yellow, and kills people just for being in the vicinity of a smoker. I'd be perfectly happy seeing pot and cigarettes exchange places on the "what is illegal" list.

Why not, there's a campaign to stop the use of tobacco, eventually they'd probably like to make it illegal, yet we're trying to legalize pot at the same time.

Because cannabis has a lot of legitimate pros to it, cigarettes do not. I don't understand why you're even comparing the two, they have nothing in common besides that you can smoke both.

What pros does cannabis have that tobacco doesn't? I'm comparing them because they're both mind altering drugs, and they're both normally smoked.

@hurlshot : I don't think nicotine is insanely addicting. I don't think it's any more difficult to quit tobacco than it is to stop overeating.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

What pros does cannabis have that tobacco doesn't? I'm comparing them because they're both mind altering drugs, and they're both normally smoked.

Read what I posted before: its really good for chronic pain and treating multiple diseases. Also it's the least harmful of all recreational drugs including alcohol and tobacco.

@hurlshot : I don't think nicotine is insanely addicting. I don't think it's any more difficult to quit tobacco than it is to stop overeating.

There's been studies that say that nicotine is as addicting as heroin. Either way it's really hard to quit, I haven't smoked in four months now but it was hell to get over the first few weeks. Much harder than not smoking a joint in a few months.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is alcohol isn't necessarily used to get drunk. It's actually considered a good thing to have a glass of wine with dinner, in fact it's beneficial. I personally don't believe in mood enhancing chemicals, whatever they might be. I don't see how you won't eventually come to rely on them as a crutch, even assuming no long term effect from moderate use. Even if that's not the case, I don't see how inhaling all that smoke can be good for the lungs.

Wine is good only if it's red wine, because the tannin from the grape skin is good for your heart. You can get tannin from other sources (such as tomatoes, my favourite! nom nom nom)

Edited by alanschu

Did you just step out of a time machine from the 50's? There are dozens of scientific studies on nicotine and they all say the same thing, it is insanely addicting. True story. Here is a link: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4753

Did you just step out of a time machine from the 50's? There are dozens of scientific studies on nicotine and they all say the same thing, it is insanely addicting. True story. Here is a link: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4753

Is insanely addicting a scientific term? All I know is people can quit smoking without any kind of rehab, and anecdottally people have just as much trouble not overeating as quitting smoking.

@alanschu : tannins are good, but apparently small amounts of alcohol also are good for cardiovascular system as it expands blood vessels. It's not recommended to start drinking for that reason though.

Is insanely addicting a scientific term? All I know is people can quit smoking without any kind of rehab, and anecdottally people have just as much trouble not overeating as quitting smoking.

Heh, you're precious. How do you think people stopped using heroin in the 19th century? You know, before rehab. Nicotine addiction is comparable to heroin (according to some studies) but the withdrawal symptons aren't. Watch Trainspotting, it's supposedly pretty accurate :)

@alanschu : tannins are good, but apparently small amounts of alcohol also are good for cardiovascular system as it expands blood vessels. It's not recommended to start drinking for that reason though.

And cannabis can be used to treat depression. Your point?

My point is alcohol might be good for the heart, not everything is about your precious weed. And how does supposed treatment of diseases justify the use of a drug by perfectly healthy people? Quite powerful and addictive narcotics are available for prescription when justified by the medical condition.

My point is alcohol might be good for the heart, not everything is about your precious weed. And how does supposed treatment of diseases justify the use of a drug by perfectly healthy people? Quite powerful and addictive narcotics are available for prescription when justified by the medical condition.

Because as I've said ten times already, cannabis has been proven to be the least dangerous of all recreational drugs. Do you think we should have total prohibition of all drugs? No coffein, no excess sugar? Weed is about as dangerous as the aforementioned two.

Banning weed is retarded since it has clear health benefits and can be used to treat illnesses or symptoms other drugs can't. Plus it's real fun to get high with little to no bad effects.

Plus it's real fun to get high with little to no bad effects.
Never had a bad trip?

Pot is cool and all... but MDMA is no joking matter.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Plus it's real fun to get high with little to no bad effects.
Never had a bad trip?

Pot is cool and all... but MDMA is no joking matter.

You can't get a bad trip with weed. I've smoked too much yeah and it hasn't always been that pleasant but as long as you know what you're smoking and your limits (both of which would be a thousand times easier if cannabis was legal) you can't really have a bad high. Sure there's some people who just don't like it but I don't think they'd smoke more than once or twice.

Yeah E's are different. I don't really get why they'd need to be legalized. Then again I've never done any. But IIRC they're really not that dangerous. Lethality rate is nowhere near alcohol levels. To each their own, it's not a heavy drug. Better than getting wasted.

The major health problems with pot comes from its tar levels, which are, if I remember right, about 25 times higher than tobacco. Aside from that, its not a big deal. Unless of course you're a dumbass. I have a friend who used his inheritance to buy a house, then all his friends moved in and started paying rent. At one point he decided that he would just raise everyone's rent, and quit his job so he had more time to smoke pot. Dumbass.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Just as an aside, I get suspicious whenever people say things like 'studies show' or 'statistics indicate'. Although I agree with the general sentiment Lare (is that a name) is conveying. There have been some attempts to link cannabis with depression and psychosis, but I think the point here is that cannabis can in some cases aggravate an existing condition. It depends on the individual. Anyway if you experience those effects, simply stop.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I don't like pot just because everyone I know that smokes it has higher than average levels of pathetic loser. I'm sure it's not as bad as they make it seem but that doesn't change my experiences with them.

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

Just as an aside, I get suspicious whenever people say things like 'studies show' or 'statistics indicate'. Although I agree with the general sentiment Lare (is that a name) is conveying. There have been some attempts to link cannabis with depression and psychosis, but I think the point here is that cannabis can in some cases aggravate an existing condition. It depends on the individual. Anyway if you experience those effects, simply stop.

I only refer to studies because there's never been any before and because most of the studies have been so overwhelmingly positive. Cannabis can be used to treat so many different illnesses and symptons that it's really retarded it's been illegal for so long.

Also cannabis can worsen or trigger psychosis or depression, but it's not really any different from any drug. People somehow think that just because something is legal you don't have to use common sense. Just like people with diabetes or high cholesterol who have to abstain from certain things people with psychosis, bipolar(ity?) or depression in their family should think twice before doing ANY drugs, including alcohol and tobacco.

I don't like pot just because everyone I know that smokes it has higher than average levels of pathetic loser. I'm sure it's not as bad as they make it seem but that doesn't change my experiences with them.

They'd probably be pathetic losers without pot.

Edited by Lare Kikkeli

If there were really credible studies that cannabis is an effective treatment for medical conditions, it would be available for prescription in fixed dosages just like every other controlled substance that's illegal without a prescription.