CPUs

CoM_Solaufein

Guess I'm now in the market for a new CPU. Hows those quad? This one here caught my eye.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Guest Slinky
Guess I'm now in the market for a new CPU. Hows those quad? This one here caught my eye.

If you aren't interested in the intel i5-series, then I can recommend that one, I have that myself. Cheap, powerful and overclocks REALLY easily even if you haven't done that before. I'm running my Q9550 @ 3.4GHz and it would probably go to near 4GHz, if there would be any need to raise it that high.

I just placed an order for it. The CPU had to be a LGA 775 since I have no intention in replacing the motherboard for an I5 or I7.

I'll be putting this in the computer I am on right now, since this is what I intend to update to Windows 7, and take the CPU from this computer and put it in the other.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

I have been thinking about getting a Q9550 too, but there are apparently two stepping versions: E0 and C1. Not sure about the number, but the letters are that. The E-version should be a better OC'er than the C-version, but getting that info about which stepping the CPU is from the vendor could be a problem. OC is pretty much, what has protected my aging E6600 from the flow of time.

I've been looking at both the E8400 and the E5400, but the latter mostly out of curiosity, because the combination of a high multiplier and a low FSB rating means that there should be a lof of headroom for OC, but it seems as cursed as the Q9550, because there is only one of these Pentium Dual Cores of the E5000 series, which have the virtualisation needed for XP mode in Win7 and the rest dont. Or some such.

While the price of the i5-750 and i7-860 are both lower than the Q9550 and even the i7-920 isn't that much more than the Q9550 the cost of change of socket and memory just adds more cost, than I'm really willing to pay for what seems like only a marginal increase of processing power to me.. But still is feels a teensy bit like wetting your pants on a cold day to keep warm for a short while, before the yellow ice makes it less desirable. Sometimes I forget that I'm not really in a race.. I try really hard not to be caught up in the consumer wake of ever changing technology, but the lure of new toys makes it really hard to think straight..

(Signatures: disabled) 

Guest Slinky

I think the chances of getting a C1 is next to nothing, unless you buy it from some really small store. As far I know they are all pretty much sold out, and every major vendor should have only E0 in stock.

And E0 clocks like a monster. I lowered CPU Vcore a lot lower from it's reference and still I could raise clocks from 2.8GHz to 3.4Gzh. So it's running 600Mhz higher than stock speed and it's 5-10

The E8400 is a good CPU with good overclocking abilities, so I heard. I never overclocked mine.

Just got my Q9550 today. I'll have to install in the next time I have a day off from work since it will take a few hours to do. I have to take the motherboard out of the computer so I can take out and then reinstall the stupid aftermarket CPU fan. I may just install the stock CPU fan so I can avoid the hassle in the future.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

The E8400 is a good CPU with good overclocking abilities, so I heard. I never overclocked mine.

Just got my Q9550 today. I'll have to install in the next time I have a day off from work since it will take a few hours to do. I have to take the motherboard out of the computer so I can take out and then reinstall the stupid aftermarket CPU fan. I may just install the stock CPU fan so I can avoid the hassle in the future.

Your upgrading from a E8400 to a Q9550? Let me know if you see any differences in programs and games. I have a E6600 and I've been thinking of doing the exact same upgrade when Black Friday arrives.

I am not replacing the CPU in this computer again. Finally installed my Q9550. Bad enough I had to take the whole motherboard out in order to get the after market CPU cooler off but on top of that, my BIOS was outdated and didn't recognize my quad, then my keyboard stopped working and then my mouse. Well the mouse stopped working permanently after it got slammed on the desk. Went through the pain in the ass process of getting my BIOS updated and finally got my system to recognize the CPU as a Quad and not a P3 Xeon.

Now to get another motherboard for the other computer and call it good.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

Well the mouse stopped working permanently after it got slammed on the desk.

Maybe try meditative techniques next time :banghead:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein