Need help to complete an online transaction

ramza

Well, there is some very beautiful art on many MtG cards...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Well, the guy doesn't seem that much eager to get my money so it may not be a scam after all. I have decided to give it a go and see what happens. I have made an extensive search on the net and I can always order a chargeback to my bank if things go wrong. I have asked the guy to create a verified paypal account (so that he may not run away) and here's what he answered:

"OK, i'll let you know when I get things going. I've been meaning to set one up anyhow. But things have been busy for us lately. Anyways, i'll let you know!

Thanks my man"

What can I say? Seems genuine enough despite the overall weird writing style... I bet it will take him over 2 weeks to set up an account though. I will wait and see... Besides, I can always change my mind later on if he doesn't show enough seriousness...

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

The trick is to never buy expensive stuff on ebay (electronics, etc). I always put a cap of 50 euros/dollars whenever I buy something from ebay, so that I may not lose much money if the inevitable had to happen. So far, I have made around 30 purchases over 2 years and I never had a single problem. I have even bought some d&d books from the USA and got them shipped at my cousin's address in Boston.

The trick is to never buy expensive stuff on ebay (electronics, etc). I always put a cap of 50 euros/dollars whenever I buy something from ebay, so that I may not lose much money if the inevitable had to happen. So far, I have made around 30 purchases over 2 years and I never had a single problem. I have even bought some d&d books from the USA and got them shipped at my cousin's address in Boston.

As I said before I do hand to hand transactions here in Estonia, but I don't really buy second hand stuff all that often.

I will just wait and see how serious the guy is. If he isn't, I will cancel the deal.

Should I send him the pic? :)

It was just for the fun of it...

The plot thickens, I wrote to him once more to check on his seriousness and asked him if he could send me some pics and if the box was 100% complete and in what condition. Here's his reply:

"Yeah man, i'll get you some pics tonight. The box is complete, all the books, dice, cards and packaging is all there. I didn't play this set much, really I would say no more than 2-4 times. We all used custom built decks mostly."

Wait and see...

PS: what's with the "hey man" this, "yeah man" that? weird fella...

Edited by ramza

You do realize a lot of people actually use those words in conversation...at least in my part of the world. And a lot of people also type similar to the way they speak...that is, they're not formal about writing and all the "rules" of English idiom. Could just be the way the guy writes casual notes.

As to whether it's a scam...it's always possible. That's just the way it goes. If you want the cards bad enough, you take the risk. The limiting yourself to a certain monetary number is a sensible idea...and you seem to be taking all the precautions you can in this situation...imo you may as well go for it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Well it seems this guy is reliable after all: he sent me a dozen older and newer pictures of the box' contents and of the extra cards that he will be adding.

Here's what he wrote as well:

"I set up the PayPal earlier as well as took more pictures that I've attached. The PayPal account will take 2-3 days to verify it said. But as soon as it is I will let you know."

post-727-1253861819_thumb.jpg

You do realize a lot of people actually use those words in conversation...at least in my part of the world. And a lot of people also type similar to the way they speak...that is, they're not formal about writing and all the "rules" of English idiom. Could just be the way the guy writes casual notes.

As to whether it's a scam...it's always possible. That's just the way it goes. If you want the cards bad enough, you take the risk. The limiting yourself to a certain monetary number is a sensible idea...and you seem to be taking all the precautions you can in this situation...imo you may as well go for it.

Well, I have never been to the US, so that may explain things.

Now to check if those pics come from another ad for the same sort of stuff!

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

All of the newer pics depict the same stuff but on a different table. The cards and decks are displayed in a different way that the original pic (the one I just posted) and they all have 24-09-09 as the date.

@My buddy Ramza:

Just pay the measly 50 squid you stingy, paranoid, ****er! Jeez, all this musterbating over a nerd toy that's not even going to get you laid anyway.

But if this obscure artifact of geekdom means that much to you then just escow the funds via PayPal, and if he pullies his wullie, then bitch to PayPal and they'll set you straight.

manthing2.jpg

*deleted for political correctness*

Edited by ramza

I simply don't trust Paypal. They've had umpteen frauds and are apparently unregulated. Bastards.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, there are some ways to limit risks:

1) Deal with people who have verified paypal accounts.

2) Don't spend much money on your online purchases.

3) Be ready to ask your bank to make a chargeback if things go wrong. Paypal will never say no to your bank.

4) Be wary of the dispute resolution system as it's pretty much arbitrary.

As I said, I never had problems and I hope I will never have. I don't buy things very often though. I made something like 30-35 purchases over the span of 2 years and most of them were small sums of money (between 10 and 20, no matter the currency).