Need Computer Help

Darth Sithari

Howdy, I'm trying to get help with a computer problem, but I can't seem to get an answer from "official" sources, so I thought I would try here.

My computer is this: http://www.clearanceclub.com/depot/quelle_...?sku=3515#specs

The game I want to play has these system requirements:

Edited by Darth Sithari

Opinions are the root of all evil.

I used to have no luck whatever trying to run 3d games on a built-in chip. What is the game, anyway?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I used to have no luck whatever trying to run 3d games on a built-in chip. What is the game, anyway?

VTM: Bloodlines.

Ouch...

That game is horribly unoptimised. I used to have a P4 2.8Ghz / Nvidia FX5900 Ultra / 2Gb ram desktop, and it was sluggish on that one. It might be possible to get it to run, but I doubt that it will run at a playable speed, i.e. it might not be fun.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I would tend to agree with Gorth, the Source build Bloodlines uses is an older beta -blame Valve for not wanting to overshadow Half Life 2- and thus is more buggy than other games that use the engine. Still, it's worth a shot. :aiee:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

You can play games in the 8-10 year old range. Those are pretty low specs. I haven't seen a Pentium 3 chip in a long time. Does XP run well on it?

Nah, you could get a way with a few 5 year old games on it quite easily (E.g. Bloodlines, HL2). But it won't be running anything new.

Edit: And I just realised Bloodlines is exactly what you're trying to play. lol

Edited by Krezack

VTM: Bloodlines.

Ouch...

That game is horribly unoptimised. I used to have a P4 2.8Ghz / Nvidia FX5900 Ultra / 2Gb ram desktop, and it was sluggish on that one. It might be possible to get it to run, but I doubt that it will run at a playable speed, i.e. it might not be fun.

Something tells me it was a conflict with an individual component or driver on that machine because, while I accept that Bloodlines isn't terrific at optimisation, I got by fine with it on my Tablet PC which was a 1.4 Ghz Intel Centrino M with a Geforce 5200 @ 32 mb, with 256mb of CPU RAM. Framerate became sluggish at times but it was always more than playable and generally smooth.

You can run lots of older 3d stuff on a netbook with an atom processor and an intel graphics chip. For example AvP 2, Max Payne, NOLF2, Age of Mythology etc.

Ok, went ahead and installed it. Ran a test to see if everything was compatible, game opened fine, but frame rate stuttered horribly and then stalled during the opening movie. However, I'm hopeful this was due to the 256mb RAM and the game running almost entirely on Virtual Memory (the entire computer was sluggish after I boosted it, and it never actualy crashed) rather than a hardware issue. My 1GB stick is supposed to arrive on Friday, so I'm keeping fingers crossed that the stick does the trick.

Edited by Darth Sithari

If the graphics chip can't push the pixels, it won't ever no matter how much ram you give it.

Started her up again, and let her run all the way through the movie this time, after it was over the game ran very smoothly. Loading times were horrible and the frame rate needed time to "catch up" once a level was loaded, but I'm pretty confident those were due to the Virtual Memory since I could hear the hard disk spinning and chugging, and once it stopped it was smooth sailing.

Found out I made a mistake, but it was a good mistake: the RAM I ordered was a package deal, I'm getting two 1GB sticks so I'll have 2GB of memory, all free! :p

Final update tommorow!!!

If the graphics chip can't push the pixels, it won't ever no matter how much ram you give it.

Started her up again, and let her run all the way through the movie this time, after it was over the game ran very smoothly. Loading times were horrible and the frame rate needed time to "catch up" once a level was loaded, but I'm pretty confident those were due to the Virtual Memory since I could hear the hard disk spinning and chugging, and once it stopped it was smooth sailing.

Found out I made a mistake, but it was a good mistake: the RAM I ordered was a package deal, I'm getting two 1GB sticks so I'll have 2GB of memory, all free! :p

Final update tommorow!!!

That's interesting.

Enjoy the awesomeness that is Bloodlines then!

I believe it was a wise man that once said "#$@#$@#$% SON OF A #$@#%@#& #$@#$@#$$ING #$%#@&%@#% #@#$@!$!@ PIECE OF @#$@#$ #%@%@#%@%%"

When I ordered my RAM, I made sure to match the type, speed, and number of pins. Unfortunately, I missed the damn DDR number!!! So I ended up with a stick of DDR2 which didn't fit. Now I had to reorder a different stick and will have to wait another day for it to arrive! Plus, I'm going to have to ship back the other stick for a refund!

Damn! :(

Ok, got a correct 1GB stick in today. Game is running pretty good. Cutscenes still slug, but nowhere near as bad as before. Loading times are great, and only occaissonal framerate drops in certain areas. Not bad for a laptop I bought on sale for school.

Thanks everyone for your help!

:)