So... how do I play?

'GM'

I've always been interested in the pen and paper dnd, but honestly am not sure how to begin. Can just 2 people play? Do I have to buy a lot of stuff or can I d/l it or make it? I'm not the smartest when it comes to the rules... I've been playing BG 1 & 2, and NWN 1 & 2 and still don't really understand all the rules. I just know it is fun and would love to learn the pen and paper version.

I've always been interested in the pen and paper dnd, but honestly am not sure how to begin.

Player's handbook would be a good start, or maybe a dndwiki.

Can just 2 people play?

Yes, although the saying "the more the merrier" reflects this perfectly.

Do I have to buy a lot of stuff or can I d/l it or make it?

Either or, though it would be a lot easier to have a physical copy by your side while playing. As for making... not sure.

Oh man, this is going to take a lot of studying I see. Boggling. This is kind of like living a whole different life nearly full-time, isn't it? Would you actually study all of the contents? That chocobo stuff seems out of place for some reason.

D&D is quite easy, actually. Just move to your mom's basement and stop caring for personal hygiene and you're halfway there!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Oh man, this is going to take a lot of studying I see. Boggling. This is kind of like living a whole different life nearly full-time, isn't it? Would you actually study all of the contents? That chocobo stuff seems out of place for some reason.

Yeah, most pen and paper role playing games take a lot of investment of time and energy. D&D requires a lot of memorization of charts, how far you can move etc. Personally i cannot stand games that force you to constantly refer to charts during play until you memorize them.

You might want to look around at different systems and try to find one that suits your personal taste. Perhaps visit a gaming store and talk to the employees about different systems and what they think about them. Also there are gaming stores that have areas where they demo games for people, I find that those are quite useful for experiencing different systems.

I just checked out a couple stores today, looking in the phonebook. Turns out there is one not too far from us that carries a lot of the dnd stuff. I guess I can at least get an idea of what is involved, including expense.

Very informative. I did a search for stores near me and came up with 3 more. Thanks!

That is great, I would definitely recommend checking out those stores and finding out if they do demo games for beginners, if they do it would be the best way to get into it. Sure you can read all about gaming but a lot of gaming is the social interaction with people. Also don't get discouraged if the game master isn't that friendly or good, or if the other players are bratty, finding the right group of people to play with is the biggest issue, the game system in my opinion is secondary. The right people can make even the worst system playable and bad people can make even the best system crappy.

The basic rules for 4th Edition can also be found on Wizards site http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/QuickStartRules.pdf

Another option is playing online. My group plays 4th edition with Fantasy Grounds 2 software, and it is not too difficult to find a group online to join. The only drawback is that you do have to buy the software, but the price for the lite license is reasonable (you only need the Full license if you want to DM) and if a group of friends buys together you can get a discount.

Fantasy Grounds supports 3.5, and you can download user made rulesets for 4e as well as for other non-D&D rule systems. There is a video guide of an older version of the 4e ruleset here . I have been very impressed with it.

As a DM you can create maps and adventures of any D&D module ever made, and the in game tools for tracking initiative, effects, saving throws, and doing the book keeping aspects are top notch. You can make tokens of all the monsters and players pretty easily using tutorials on the forums, and the 4e ruleset which is being developed by players is constantly being improved on.

For players, it is easy to make characters and there is even a new tool for 4e where you can transfer a character made on the wizards DDI character creator into fantasy grounds.

Screen Shot 1

Screen Shot 2

Edited by Karazax

comic book stores. call and/or visit a comic book store that also sells d&d stuff. ask clerk/owner if he knows where/when d&d gaming sessions is being held. chances are that somewhere in the shop is a bulletin board with tacked-up 3x5 cards and flyers related to gamers and gaming sessions. if no gaming is done at the comic book shop you call or visit, it is still probable that whomever you talk to will know where such gaming sessions is occurring.

don't buy any d&d books. heck, don't even bother reading d&d books. sit in on a gaming session... or two. if you is still genuine interested in d&d pnp, then is likely that somebody will let you borrow their books as needed. nerdlings and geeks may be socially retarded little dweebs, but they love showing off just as much as does any cliche high school jock. is no doubt that somebody you meet will happily share with you their encyclopedic knowledge of d&d.

the d&d books is expensive. don't buy nothing 'til you see what pnp is actually 'bout. ultimately, pen and paper role-playing is only as good as the group of folks you role-play with. find a good group through trial and error can be tough, but once you gets in touch with the local gaming community it should not be hard to meet folks you would enjoy gaming with.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Don't listen to any of these silly bastards. If you don't understand the mechanics, then **** the mechanics. PnP RPGing is about the storytelling and the ability to do anything the GM can understand. If you feel you have to have mechanics you could always do your own, like throwing bits of scrunched up paper at things. If the GM thinks it's tricky then he/she simply says to throw it at something tricky to hit or far away.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.