BREAKING NEWS: BIOWARE AND MYTHIC MERGE

Llyranor

"For example, Michael bay makes bad movies that really sell, but he has not sacrificed his creativity, since he has been pretty consequent in his vision (= special effects, explosions, teenheroes and female boobage). The minute Bay will start talking about "reaching out", "expanding the base" and "making a movie that anyone can enjoy", then he has sold out by the very definition that i provided."

No. People change.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"For example, Michael bay makes bad movies that really sell, but he has not sacrificed his creativity, since he has been pretty consequent in his vision (= special effects, explosions, teenheroes and female boobage). The minute Bay will start talking about "reaching out", "expanding the base" and "making a movie that anyone can enjoy", then he has sold out by the very definition that i provided."

No. People change.

Of course, and when they prioritize money (sell as much as possible) over the art itself (make the best thing ever!), they hereby sell out.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

No. People change.

Of course, and when they prioritize money (sell as much as possible) over the art itself (make the best thing ever!), they hereby sell out.

This !!! :p

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

"As far as I know, the doctors have never worked on any of the games. There have always been, and still are, people who are passionate about making RPGs at Bioware, but the company wasn't founded by two eager young game developers, was it? "

Eh? Why else would they have gone into game development? There's no way they could have known for sure that BIO would ahve been this successful. And, they no doubt have played a development role in each of their games. At least when it comes to general design. I believe they had games like ME and JE in the back of their mind long before they actively started working on it. They were also rather upfront in their interest to make a MMO well before theirs was officially announced.

To try to take away theirtheir credit for BIO's success is silly. No doctors, no BG. Period.

As far the first quote (the one about the doctors not having worked on any games) this is simply not TRUE! Sorry for the yelling and all, but I know for a fact that both Ray and Greg (and the third doctor with whom they founded Bioware) worked on both Shattered Steel and Baldur's Gate, MDK and possibly MDK2 as well, I think?

I remember an interview (either in text or spoken) when they've stated that for Shattered Steel (and maybe BG1?) they wrote the story, the third doctor (dr. Chu?) coded the game - and one of them, either Ray or Greg (or both) did the level designs.

I always wanted what the secret behind Bioware supporting their games many years after they've been released was or is - it seems to be that Ray and Greg themselves have knowledge of the techology and design decisions etc. that goes into making a game. I remember 10 years ago or so when Ray and Greg themselves would post on Interplay or Black Isle's BG forums... Good times :p

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/

No. Selling out is a myth that people like to use to bash people needlessly when they do something said person dissaproves of.

Yes, you call it "change". While "change" by itself can be a good thing, but in this particular case, I call it "despicable behaviour".

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Especially when considering such subjective things as "the best thing ever."

You misunderstand me. When i meant "the best thing ever", it was in the context of the artist wishing to do the best creation that he wishes for himself. Not by doing something in order to satisfy focus group results and maximizing of profit according your linear programming charts. The first(art) can have higher priority than the latter(profit), without sacrificing creative integrity. If it is the other way around, then it is "selling out".

According to these statements, Bioware has not sold out at all. It is true that one can interpret some of their design choices as a result of satisfying their base, but they are still true to what they try to do:

1) Make RPGs

2) Make the very games that they want to do

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

Mythic will help out with SW:TOR

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/bioware-...p-star-wars-mmo

hopefuly not as they did help themselves with WAR ;)

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Is there any chance Obsidian Entertainment could merge with Jack Daniels? Two of my favourite companies in perfect harmony and all that. :)

Have you no shame, you half baked Brit? You're English, for crying out loud. You should be drinking gin. ...Or at least Irish whiskey or Scotch. Good Lord, and do you complain as much about your favorite booze as you do about Bioware? :o

I don't have a lot of hope for the MMORPG, but I don't have time to play it even if I liked it, so no biggie to me. WAR was super buggy for me, but Mythic might have learned their trade by now, I guess.

Indeed, I am English, not even remotely half-baked and I enjoy a gin and tonic occasionally (actually several times a week). OTOH, whisky is Scottish and Irish (Bushmills, distilled in Northern Ireland, is technically British). Nothing against my Celtic and Gaelic brethren but I have never got on with those, for me it's no competition with bourbon - an American confection.

Of all the bourbons I've tried (for example, the language-filter mangling Fighting C0ck is particularly good; Maker's Mark is sublime) none have the durable and satisfying consistency as J.D.

Gaming is symbiotic (well, to me anyway) with alcohol and pizza. Budwieser (OK, it's not really beer), EA and Domino's make sense, for example. You may now continue back on-topic, whatever it was.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG