Call of Cthulhu now on steam for $11.19

One of the best games ever so far as I'm concerned. Some people had very serious bugs with the PC version though, so beware. Also can be very hard to figure out what to do next, you may need a guide, there's one on gamefaqs.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Excellent adventure game with survival/horror elements. I liked the nightmarish chase scenes in this game. Just like in a nightmare, one moves literally at a snail's pace. Also, similar to nightmares enemies always break through doors just as one is about to finish shoving a closet in front of it.

This game should not be played in the dark, unless one has a bucket of clonazepam at hand.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Bah! The beginning stuff is good, but half-way through it pretty much falls of the rails and goes straight into sucky town. It's just not scary anymore when your blowing eldritch horrors and

Great Old Ones

away with shotguns and cannons. The story is pretty much in the Lovecraft spirit, but the gameplay parts are atrocious near the end.

"Excellent" is not a word I would put in the same sentence with this game.

Edited by Purkake

A very athmospheric game, but it ultimately fails on it's flawed design. Especially towards the end you noticed that it was rushed. I'm not so fond about the chase scenes either, because they're neithr creepy, nor fun.

The chase ended up being the great search for the right bookcase that is actually usable.

I'd say the game was an interesting experiment, the sanity system is pretty cool, as is the health system. There was tons of potential, but all the interesting stuff just doesn't make up for the horrible repetitious gameplay and unpolished-ness. Also bonus points for (mostly)not messing up the Mythos stuff.

I wouldn't call the gameplay repetitious, it has some great environments and great story telling, and mixes combat and stealth. The rifle is one of my favorite video game weapons, it actually feels like shooting a real rifle, only Brothers in Arms: Rdh30 had a more realistic rifle.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I wouldn't call the gameplay repetitious, it has some great environments and great story telling, and mixes combat and stealth. The rifle is one of my favorite video game weapons, it actually feels like shooting a real rifle, only Brothers in Arms: Rdh30 had a more realistic rifle.

The rifle was great, yes. Stealth pretty much goes out the window once you get a weapon. The repetition comes from having to shoot a bazillion Lovecraftian horrors which pretty much ruins the horror element.

Mythos creatures are killed all the time in Lovecraft's stories. Only certain ones, like a Shoggoth, you can't fight at all, which is all depicted properly. I agree it wasn't very scary, but it had a great atmosphere, and it was an adventure game more than a horror game.

Mythos creatures are killed all the time in Lovecraft's stories. Only certain ones, like a Shoggoth, you can't fight at all, which is all depicted properly. I agree it wasn't very scary, but it had a great atmosphere, and it was an adventure game more than a horror game.

It would have had a bunch more atmosphere if there were only a few deep ones and they wouldn't just go down from a few shots. Imagine a single deep one stalking you on the ship, dropping in and killing a few people and then retreating once you had a chance to shoot it. In the later parts of the game you were killing dozens upon dozens of deep ones and it just cheapened them. At least the Star-Spawn of Cthulhu needed special stuff to take it down.

It tried too hard to be a shooter, when the adventure parts alone were enough.

Edited by Purkake

OK, may be you'd design the game differently, that doesn't mean the design is bad though. There's no reason the Deep Ones should be that hard to kill, especially

since you find the electric weapon from the Greatest Race towards the end

I had a hell of a time getting through the last battle, took me hours literally.

That cover is terrible marketing, btw, they should've put Jack and Rebecca there, probably would've sold at least twice as much.

OK, may be you'd design the game differently, that doesn't mean the design is bad though. There's no reason the Deep Ones should be that hard to kill, especially

since you find the electric weapon from the Greatest Race towards the end

I had a hell of a time getting through the last battle, took me hours literally.

That cover is terrible marketing, btw, they should've put Jack and Rebecca there, probably would've sold at least twice as much.

You find the

Yithian lightning gun very late (also Yithians are the Great Race not the greatest)

. My point is that the game tries very hard to be a shooter in the second half, but the mechanics are lacking. The parts where you don't have a gun are much better than the parts where you do. Also the

end with Mother Hydra was hard because it was horribly designed and not because it actually required skill

If anyone is interested there is a (full) playthough of this on youtube and some good discussion in the Rebel FM game club

Edited by Purkake

No, they're the greatest because they alone can travel through time, look it up (Shadow out of Time, http://www.templeofdagon.com/lovecraft-arc...w-out-of-time/) I disagree about the shooter, it was actually stealth which wasn't strong enough to carry the whole game, so I thought there was about the right amount of it. I did enjoy the early Innsmouth sections the most, but I also liked taking my revenge against the fishmen later. I thought combat conveyed the fact that you were a vulnerable human being instead of an invincible super-hero very well, and afterwards I didn't want to play another game with an aiming reticle. And I don't think the end was horribly designed, you just had to acquire enough skill to kill the enemies before they got within melee range, at which point it became fairly easy.

No, they're the greatest because they alone can travel through time, look it up (Shadow out of Time, http://www.templeofdagon.com/lovecraft-arc...w-out-of-time/) I disagree about the shooter, it was actually stealth which wasn't strong enough to carry the whole game, so I thought there was about the right amount of it. I did enjoy the early Innsmouth sections the most, but I also liked taking my revenge against the fishmen later. I thought combat conveyed the fact that you were a vulnerable human being instead of an invincible super-hero very well, and afterwards I didn't want to play another game with an aiming reticle. And I don't think the end was horribly designed, you just had to acquire enough skill to kill the enemies before they got within melee range, at which point it became fairly easy.

I meant the name

The Great Race of Yith(but you probably know that already), also weren't they wiped out by the Flying Polyps? And I meant the ending puzzle where you had to figure out that you can control the deep ones and that you had to flip the switch while controlling them without any indication.

Edited by Purkake

They were physically wiped out, but their minds travelled through time to find another host race. As far as puzzle design, I agree, like I said I had a lot of trouble figuring out what to do throughout the game, and trial and error wasn't very viable because you could only save at save points, thus I mostly used a guide :lol:

They were physically wiped out, but their minds travelled through time to find another host race. As far as puzzle design, I agree, like I said I had a lot of trouble figuring out what to do throughout the game, and trial and error wasn't very viable because you could only save at save points, thus I mostly used a guide :lol:

Maybe they'll find something less trumpet-y :p

I must admit I cheated towards the end of the game because it became so ridiculously hard.

Lulwut?

I'd call it challenging, but not hard. :)

One of the best games I've ever played. :brows:

They were physically wiped out, but their minds travelled through time to find another host race. As far as puzzle design, I agree, like I said I had a lot of trouble figuring out what to do throughout the game, and trial and error wasn't very viable because you could only save at save points, thus I mostly used a guide :)

Maybe they'll find something less trumpet-y :brows:

Swarms of bugs, actually.

They were physically wiped out, but their minds travelled through time to find another host race. As far as puzzle design, I agree, like I said I had a lot of trouble figuring out what to do throughout the game, and trial and error wasn't very viable because you could only save at save points, thus I mostly used a guide :nuke:

Maybe they'll find something less trumpet-y :)

Swarms of bugs, actually.

I guess anything's an improvement over gigantic trumpets...