Hats

Trenitay

It must be a generational thing, because when I see hats like that I simply think of old war movies or pure, unaldulterated evil.

An observation only, not a criticism. A UK magazine editor was once sacked for suggesting that Erwin Rommel* was a style icon. Which was a tad unfair, but goes to show the strong feelings the iconography of Nazism still provokes.

* And remember, Rommel was the model 'Good German.'

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

Irrefutable evidence: do a google imagesearch on Cary Grant, Ive looked 5 pages down and there is not a single photo in which he is wearing a hat.

It all depends on the search, as this was on the first page for me.. :ermm:

Not even Humphrey Bogart wore hats privately, only when he played Sam Spade.

The thing to remember about hats back when they were worn regularly is that hats weren't (just) style accessories, they were worn for a reason (to keep sun off the head and out of the eyes, to keep the rain away). While there were certain elements of style involved (Like top hat and tails anyone?), they were like coats. A coat (or overcoat, if you prefer) could fit in with a look but once you went indoors, it was dispensed with until you went back out.

Which is something most modern-day hat wearers (and coat wearers) have trouble with as there aren't very many places a person can put a hat anymore and not lose it.

If I wear a hat, its typicaly a baseball cap and its to keep the sun out of my eyes and from beating down on the top of my head where my hair is thinner and more prone to the sun's rays. But I've been looking into getting some other hat to wear as baseball caps don't work with a tie.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I always wear hats.. usually the first kind (can't remember it's name though), but I also have a more fedora'ish hat (second pic).

Is Ernest Hemingway telling you the story of the time he caught a giant swordfish in that picture?

How about the thing in your avatar? Would certainly draw some attention :ermm:

It is really only for special occasions. :(

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I wear this hat when it is cold or rainy outside, but it comes off when I get to where I'm going. Pairs well with the topcoat and scarf I'm usually wearing in said situations, and folds neatly into the coat's pocket.

DSCN0118.jpg

Otherwise, I've got a couple old baseball caps I wear for some outdoor activities (e.g., office league softball)

That is called a "gubbkeps" in Sweden and its illegal to wear one if you're born before 1925.

trans: 'gaffer cap' as in old man

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I always wear hats.. usually the first kind (can't remember it's name though), but I also have a more fedora'ish hat (second pic).

Is Ernest Hemingway telling you the story of the time he caught a giant swordfish in that picture?

Close enough :( he was a Danish professor I met in Tranquebar (a former colony) and he was talking about the history of the area.

Fortune favors the bald.