Mass Effect question

ramza

Ok, here's two more technical questions:

1) Does anyone know how much intrusive is the DRM used by Mass Effect? I have read that the version of Securom that is being installed acts like some sort of spyware. On the other hand, the version of Securom that comes with NWN2 seems lighter and less intrusive. I am no expert and I am just relaying what I have read on the web.

2) Let's suppose I have both NWN2 and Mass effect installed on my pc. At some point, I wish to uninstall Mass Effect along with Securom. Will this affect NWN2?

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Let's suppose I have both NWN2 and Mass effect installed on my pc. At some point, I wish to uninstall Mass Effect along with Securom. Will this affect NWN2?

Well, the SecuROM driver might need to be re-installed by NWN 2, something that would likely happen the next time you inserted the disc and ran the game, but other then that nothing that I can think of.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Hmm, to be honest I think Mass Effect has the least intrusive DRM out of EA's recent releases. I don't even remember entering an activation code, and I can start the game up offline without the disc in the drive. Was the DRM patched out of the game?

Was the DRM patched out of the game?

No. :ermm:

Strange then unless it only authenticates behind the scenes on your first use. Since the only time I had to use the key was to register it onto my Bioware community account, I seriously doubt ME has limited installs. How are they going to tell your copy of the game from someone else's? I haven't tried running the game pre-patched, so they had to have removed the limited installs.

Edited by Talonfire

I seriously doubt ME has limited installs.

It does. You have to enter your DVD-key when you install the game and then it will "call home" the first time it is run. However, there might be an explanation for your lack of DRM - are you, perhaps, from Russia or the owner of a Russian copy?

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

It does. You have to enter your DVD-key when you install the game and then it will "call home" the first time it is run. However, there might be an explanation for your lack of DRM - are you, perhaps, from Russia or the owner of a Russian copy?

No, I'm from the US and have a US copy. I wasn't asked for the key at install, all I did was set the directory and clicked next. Maybe I just forgot, but I don't remember it asking for the key.

Maybe I just forgot, but I don't remember it asking for the key.

You forgot. Either that or you have a unique copy that, sadly, doesn't exist for anyone else. :ermm:

-Hurlshot

No, I'm from the US and have a US copy. I wasn't asked for the key at install, all I did was set the directory and clicked next. Maybe I just forgot, but I don't remember it asking for the key.

Are you sure you didn't get a Swedish copy by accident? :ermm:

j/k, no offense to anyone. :)

2008_fundraiser_banner_button-en.png

What happens if, after installing the game, I use the Securom removal tool available at the official Securom website? Will I still be able to run the game?

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Was the DRM patched out of the game?

No. :(

Strange then unless it only authenticates behind the scenes on your first use. Since the only time I had to use the key was to register it onto my Bioware community account, I seriously doubt ME has limited installs. How are they going to tell your copy of the game from someone else's? I haven't tried running the game pre-patched, so they had to have removed the limited installs.

And this is exactly how the game does it - according to the developers at the Bioware forums.

I don't know technically they're going to tell your copy from anyole else's, but I do know that the game attaches itself to your computer's HWID identification (something that apparently is tied to your motherboard?) Securom only, as I understand it, looks at this number? - and tries to figure out if this number has changed more than three times or five times. That might be the reason why the game can be un-installed and installed again and again on the same computer or be installed on three different computers.

And EA has actully released a de-activation tool for the game, Mass Effect.

Please support http://www.maternityworldwide.org/ - and save a mother giving birth to a child.

Please support, Andrew Bub, the gamerdad - at http://gamingwithchildren.com/