So who's watching Formula 1 this year?

Kaftan Barlast

Ive been watching F1 off and on since I was a kid, but this year I thought id really get into it because everything if complete chaos with the new rules, so anything could happen. So Ive intentionally gotten myself all worked up by reading up on aerodynamics, playing loads of racing games and carefully chosing the right beer for each event.

So, is anyone else watching it? I know americans tend to be confused when a racetrack actually has turns, but we do have a more sensible euro presence here. :yucky:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yup, I'll be following the season closely for sure, as I did every year since 1998. I haven't read detailed analysis on the tech changes, but I know they reintroduced slicks, simplified aerodynamics (by a lot), and introduced the KERS system. Honestly, it's really good to see the rules changed to reduce costs, because the smaller teams were drowning slowly. It was clearly not the way to go. And even so, the cars are about as fast as they were last year (although now they are really ugly). Which just goes to show you how cutting edge and innovative this sport is.

Anyway, the debut race today was pretty good. I expected the Brawn GP cars to win, since they were way faster than anyone else in practice and qualifying. What I didn't expect is Lewis Hamilton coming back from 18th on the grid to 4th (3rd actually, cause the 3rd place guy got a 25 second penalty after the race) in the end. He fought like a true champion. Good stuff, can't wait for the Malaysian GP next weekend.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

If it happens to be on the telly while i am channelsurfing, then i might see it. Otherwise, i watch/read the results later in the evening, in order to have some insight on the whole Formula 1 season.

Speaking of which, what is this "Brawn"-team? I have never heard about them until thursday.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

If it happens to be on the telly while i am channelsurfing, then i might see it. Otherwise, i watch/read the results later in the evening, in order to have some insight on the whole Formula 1 season.

Speaking of which, what is this "Brawn"-team? I have never heard about them until thursday.

It's basically a team built by Ross Brawn (ex-Ferrari lead engineer in the Schumacher era) on the remnants of the Honda F1 team, which called it quits at the end of last year.

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Apparently Honda spent all their money on developing the 2009 car, only to bugger off in the last minute leaving Ross Brawn with the golden goose.

What I dont like is Renaults less-than-stellar performance. Fernando Alonso is the best driver out there and its such an idiotic waste to have him rot away for years in a team that has no chance of winning the championship. I hope Im wrong, but the RS29 seems to drive like a block of wet soap on ice.

The problem for us Swedes is that it only runs on Viasat Motor. I couldnt get that channel if I tried so Im watching the BBC coverage, which is probably much better anyway. We need another Ronny Petterson to reawaken the interest again, the finns have ruled for far too long.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Apparently Honda spent all their money on developing the 2009 car, only to bugger off in the last minute leaving Ross Brawn with the golden goose.

It's not like he got it for free though. As I'm sure you know, Ross Brawn was at Honda last year. And the 2009 car is basically his creation anyway. As I understand it, he received the money he needed to make a team from various sources. Honda being number one of course, but I also heard that Bernie Ecclestone himself has a share in the team.

What I dont like is Renaults less-than-stellar performance. Fernando Alonso is the best driver out there and its such an idiotic waste to have him rot away for years in a team that has no chance of winning the championship. I hope Im wrong, but the RS29 seems to drive like a block of wet soap on ice.

Fernando himself said during winter testing that the car isn't what he expected. But they can improve. It's been pretty hard for everybody to adapt to the new rules, so I wouldn't say it's a lost cause. It all depends on how much margin for improvement there is.

It's a shame though, Fernando's an excellent driver and deserves better. I wouldn't say he's the best, there's so much talent in F1 it's really hard to make out who is the best. I'd say Hamilton and Vettel are easily just as talented, though obviously not as experienced. A Kimi Raikkonen on a good day is virtually unstoppable, though he's had few of those lately. And there are a few really hard working drivers like Kubica and Massa that could easily steal the championship, despite not being quite as good. Oh, and Rosberg is among the best as well.

Formula 1 was awesome in the late 80s and early 90s. Now, it's awfully predictable and boring. Of course, it's still better than hillbillies turning left.

Edit: Stuff like this just doesn't happen anymore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im70dqUQfUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cegEkKId5-U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb8UFso1nyM

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Formula 1 was awesome in the late 80s and early 90s. Now, it's awfully predictable and boring. Of course, it's still better than hillbillies turning left.

Edit: Stuff like this just doesn't happen anymore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im70dqUQfUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cegEkKId5-U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb8UFso1nyM

Ah, great stuff. But you didn't even include some of the Senna vs Prost duels. Or probably my favorite of them all, the 92 Monaco GP duel between Senna and Mansell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC5AWV8wV_Y

Not trying to downplay how awesome some of those moments were, but there have been plenty of superb battles in F1 in the late 90s and afterward as well. True, overtaking became increasingly harder and during the 2001-2004 era, when Shumi and Ferrari were dominating things got very boring. But hey, I will never forget some of the duel between Hakkinen and Schumi, specially Spa 2000. Or pretty much the entire season of 2005, when Raikkonen constantly provided us with awesome races. He used to get relegated to the back of the grid because of engine problems and such, but then he'd always make his way up the field during the race. I will not forget the Japanese GP that year, with Raikkonen coming from 13th or something, to take the win on the last lap. Can't forget some of the Alonso vs Shumi duels in 2006 either. Or Hamilton vs Alonso in 2007. Or the heart pounding season finals of 2007 and 2008. In 2008, Hamilton basically won the championship in the last corner of the last lap of the last race. It doesn't get any more better than that. If you ask me, there's plenty of excitement left in this sport. True, there are boring races too, probably more than before, but it's moments like the ones mentioned above that make it worth the watch.

F1 was low on excitement during the Schumacher years 2000-2004, I stopped watching it. But that was a while ago and F1 has hanged completely since then. Apart from the table being turned on the old dominance of ferrari/mclaren, you also had lots and lots going on in the actual race.

We Swedes had nothing but rotten luck in our F1 days. First Gunnar Nilsson died of cancer, then Ronny Petterson dies from complications from a broken leg. That was 30 years ago and no Swede has ever gotten close to the higher echelons of open-wheel racing since. The Finns like to believe its because they are superior drivers, but in reality its mostly gas and motor-related taxes... atleast in my mind. Parents can barely afford to drive to work, how are they supposed to fund a kids karting career?

I'm more of an Indycar fan (prediction: one of the Andretti Green drivers will win it all this season!) but I do follow F1 a little, particularly the Jaguar/Red Bull Renault team. Ever since they dropped the Ferrari engine for the Renault RS27 they have been fading.

What does everyone think of the rule changes this season? Restricting RPMs to save fuel (I guess), increasing downforce to open up passing? I think speed is the attraction here. Detracting from it seems wrong.

BTW, I've only attended one NASCAR race in my life, it was the Die Hard 500 in Talladega in 1993. We had infield tickets and I was wearing a Florida Gators ballcap which apperently is a crime ranking above spitting on the rebel flag and just below murder in Alabama. We got into a fight with the good ole boys in the next spot because I wouldn't take it off. We were almost all kicked out. I find that sport boring, like someone else said, one endless left turn.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The Renault engine has been upgraded over the winter, because Renault were too strict regarding the rules of the engine freeze and so they were allowed to make a few changes to keep up with the others. And Red Bull are faster than ever this year it seems.

The RPM restriction is to increase engine life, and thereby reducing cost for the teams. You now have 8 engines for the whole season, thats it. And the aerodynamic changes were made mainly to decrease turbulence in the wake of cars, because it made following cars lose downforce which made it very difficult to follow a car through corners because youd lose grip. The new aero rules, slick tyres, adjustable front wing and KERS boost are all there to increase the chances of overtaking and making the races more exciting.

And F1 has never been about raw speed really. Sure, the cars do go very fast, but its always been more about the driving. Manouvering, cornering and overtaking is what its about. There's the safety issue aswell; if the audience cant tell the differance between 280kmh and 320kmh, whats the point of going that fast? Its just an unnescessary risk.

So, did anyone watch the Malasyian debacle? Bernie Ecclestone moved the race time in order for a better broadcast time in Europe, forgetting that the monsoon usually sets in in the late afternoon this time of year. Thus, halfway through, the racetrack gets absolutely drenched in rain and the race is aborted.

Bernie wasnt the only one taking a mad gamble with the rain, Ferrari had a momentary lapse of reason and sent R

Yeah, i watched what little there was left of the race. Seems like there was a collective "whut?! can it rain this much?!" from all the contestants. It was a borderlining to become a travesty.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Damn rain, it looked like the race was going to have a good finish, with Glock about to put Button under pressure, and both Red Bulls storming through the field. Lesson learnt though, you can't start the Malasyian race that late next year.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif