Playstation Version

The original Rainbow Six Vegas was a pretty bad port, and the whole Orange Box as mentioned was really bad in many ways. When I started playing HL2 on the PS3 the loading was every few minutes . . . literally.

My concern however was that perhaps the PS3 version may not be up to snuff in comparison and I would find that disheartening, because yes it has happened before.

Some more I can think of would be F.E.A.R., early iterations of EA sports titles like Madden 08 or the really bad port of Pro Evolution Soccer 08. I had heard the Lost Planet version for PS3 was real bad but it seemed fine to me =/

Oh and something a bit more recent would be the release of C&C Red Alert 3 : Ultimate Edition

I know what you mean. The PS3 version always gets the short end of the stick. For some reason 3rd party developers always do a halfhearted port. Another example would be Fallout 3, where there are so many bugs and hiccups that I stayed away from the PS3 version and got the PC version instead.

I really hope that Alpha Protocol will be pretty much equal across all platforms because I am very much looking forward to it. I just think the concept is very fresh and unique and it would be a shame if the PS3 version turns out to be less than stellar in comparison to the X360 version.

I know what you mean. The PS3 version always gets the short end of the stick. For some reason 3rd party developers always do a halfhearted port. Another example would be Fallout 3, where there are so many bugs and hiccups that I stayed away from the PS3 version and got the PC version instead.

Keep fingers crossed. It took a full year afterall for Bioshock which is also based on Unreal 3 engine to be released for the PS3. Though I don't know of its quality port in comparison to 360.

Regardless, if you feel concerned of the PS3 game quality, I will simply suggest you play it on the PC instead.

A product is a product. I highly doubt that the 360 and PC versions will be great and the PS3 version will suck. Do you have any examples to cite of such a game?

All the Valve ports. Bioshock. A few others I am forgetting of the top of my head. :)

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

The PS3 version always gets the short end of the stick. For some reason 3rd party developers always do a halfhearted port.

It's because of the system, it's hard to port PC/360 games over to the PS3.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

• 4 months later...
Keep fingers crossed. It took a full year afterall for Bioshock which is also based on Unreal 3 engine to be released for the PS3. Though I don't know of its quality port in comparison to 360.

Regardless, if you feel concerned of the PS3 game quality, I will simply suggest you play it on the PC instead.

If the PC version has intrusive DRM of any kind I will not buy it. That is why I am pleading to the devs that they please, please don't gimp the PS3 version. I very much want to be able to play this game and enjoy it. Otherwise I'm going to be very, very annoyed.

If the PC version has intrusive DRM of any kind I will not buy it. That is why I am pleading to the devs that they please, please don't gimp the PS3 version. I very much want to be able to play this game and enjoy it. Otherwise I'm going to be very, very annoyed.

Unfortunately the PS3 does seem to require quite an effort from the developers. As far as I know, games that look good on the PS3 generally use some techniques that are especially well suited for it (deferred shading). Apparently some fairly serious code-branching from the X360 version is required to fully get the most out of the PS3 - as was seen with the PS3 version of Red Alert 3, to my knowledge the multiplatform game that is supposed to look better on the PS3 than on the X360 (and the PS3 version came out ~4 months later).

I seriously doubt anybody is intentionally 'gimping' the PS3 versions; I guess those versions just need that extra work that is often unavailable, come crunch time. The fact that the PS3 versions often get farmed to external studios (apparently due to the fact that special skills are required) probably contributes to the situation.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif