CANADA MAY NO LONGER BE A DEMOCRACY!

Volourn

He. Her. it. Irrelevant. Shouldn't have ultimate say in our supposed Democratic country.

Oh, please. The Westminster system isn't democratic. That's one of its few redeeming features.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Canada and Australia are de facto republics anyway.

Perhaps the one real change that has some validity is making the Governor General elected by a 2/3rds majority of parliament rather than appointed by the Queen on the advice of the Prime Minister.

But until a crisis arises where the Governor General acts undemocratically, a change like that isn't going to happen. Canadians and Australians like their status quo.

He. Her. it. Irrelevant. Shouldn't have ultimate say in our supposed Democratic country.

Oh, please. The Westminster system isn't democratic. That's one of its few redeeming features.

:lol: I'd like to remind readers that it was the unelected House of Lords who defended our right to avoid imprisonment without trial when the elected assembly did not. Go, go, those crazy old buffers! :)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

"The Governor General might not be democratically elected"

'Nough said. Yte he has more pwoer than the elected officials in this country. The very hall mark of a Dictatorship.

Monarchy, not dictatorship. That's how the country works. Get over it or work to change it.

:o I'd like to remind readers that it was the unelected House of Lords who defended our right to avoid imprisonment without trial when the elected assembly did not. Go, go, those crazy old buffers! :lol:

Precisely! Now if only we could get rid of the damned Parliament Act, we could kill off democracy in this country once and for all!

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/abc/home/...ction_AM_081204

R00fles!

"We are determined to fulfill our mandate and get rid of Stephen Harper and his government," Duceppe said."

WOW! Talk about sptting in the face of Kanadians!

"The coalition's prospects weren't helped by an embarrassing episode on Wednesday night, when the Liberals were late to deliver a taped address to the nation featuring Liberal Leader Stephane Dion."

This is what happens when you choose a leader whose own party no longer wants him to lead them.

"In fact, they chose to play politics"

L0L The PM wans't the only one playing politics.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I actually don't mind the coalition, since it makes more sense than Harper staying in control.

What I do mind however, is Dion. Dion as a Prime Minister would be not only embarassing but disastrous for Canada. For those who don't know, just look at any video of his speeches.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

There's also the fact that Dion's own party don't want him leading them so why do they all seem to think he's the right chocie to lead the country? The logic there does not compute.

On top of this, ther majority of Kanadiens don't want the Coaltion to win this political battle. In fact, they'd prefer a whole new election than that kind of garbage. Yet, the Coaltion claims they're doing this for the Kanadian populace? I call BALONY. And, so do my fellow Kanadians.

Edited by Volourn

Dion was pledged to resign in the middle of next year anyway (or be ejected by his party), so that point is moot.

If Canadians want another election, then good. Call one. Don't let Harper get in the way of democracy. The fact is, though, the Coalition can call a no confidence vote to call an election right now because they have enough seats to do so - given to them at the last election by the Canadian people.

Tell me, Volourn, is it democratic for the GG to suspend parliament for over a month because the PM asked her to?

"Tell me, Volourn, is it democratic for the GG to suspend parliament for over a month because the PM asked her to?"

No, it isn't. No more undemocratic than the GG giving the power to the Coalition. imo, The GG should be ABOLISHED.

"The fact is, though, the Coalition can call a no confidence vote to call an election right now because they have enough seats to do so - given to them at the last election by the Canadian people."

Absolutely, and they should. And, a new election should be held. But, that's not what they're trying to do. They're seeking the power that the Kanadian people voted to give to the Conservatives.

If the other parties want to vote no cofidence, be my guest. We get a new election. AS IT SHOULD BE.

Edited by Volourn

Um, what? "The other parties" (representing about 60% of Canadians) were planning to vote no confidence, and the most likely outcome would have been the GG calling a new election where those "other parties" formed a Coalition and won or lost by their combined vote. The only complicating factor is that you guys just had an election, so she may simply go by the results of that instead.

Now Harper has over a month to whisper lies in peoples' ears and try to vilify a quarter of Canadians (Quebec) even more to save his job. That won't help him much, though, because even if they call off the no confidence vote, he still faces a hostile majority for the rest of his term. One which could call another no confidence vote at any time.

Either way it's good for the Canadian people. An election gets called? The matter is settled with finality. The confidence vote is cancelled? Harper has to actually listen to other parties. The Coalition is given government? The conglomerate backed by 60% of Canada at the last election governs, with Dion resigning in mid-2009 because he acknowledges he does not have popular support.

Edited by Krezack

They're seeking the power that the Kanadian people voted to give to the Conservatives.

Last I checked 60% of Canadians didn't vote to give power to the Conservatives, 30% did.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

The only part that isn't democratic about this crisis is the fact the General Governor has any sort of power.

Other than that, the Coalition would be much more democratic than the Conservatives, if only because the combined parties have way more votes than the Conservative Parties alone. Dion would make a terrible leader, but he'll resign in May so its only temporary, and Harper is already spreading propaganda.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

"Harper is already spreading propaganda."

L0L They all are. Seems silly just to accuse one of this.

How cna anyone support the Coalition when they chose a pathetic leader.

"if only because the combined parties have way more votes than the Conservative Parties alone."

Way more? IIRC, Any talk of a Coaltion in power can be stopped simply by the Conservatives convincing 12 of the opposition to side with them. I know it's some realtively lowe number.

I agree about the GG. That position should be abolished as long we any legal ties we have Britian when it comes to actually running our country.

It's simple. They do a no confidence vote, there should be a new election.

Edited by Volourn