Dead Space

This falls into the category of bad PC port. You can't aim properly either. I had to turn mouse sensitivity all the way up in both the mouse applet in windows and in the game, just to get it so I could look around at the turn of the wrist instead of requiring several feet of free space. The superior aiming operation of a mouse seems to have been deliberately sabotaged as well.

Whenever you enter aim mode, pointing slows down so much you can either flail the mouse spastically to try to bring your gun to bear faster, or simply contend with a constant speed handicap. I realise this gap between intention and finding your aim on a console is larger, but it's not supposed to be a factor on a pc.

I can't recommend this at all unless you use a controller, and it's not really the kind of game that benefits from a controller either. Well, possible maneuvering in space, I haven't gotten that far yet.

What keeps me at it is the sound mixing and the atmosphere. The baddies themselves look, I dunno, a little too over the top to be scary.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Notable scary moment in the game:

-First appearance of the twitcher. Holy ****e.

Notable disturbing moment in the game:

-When the octopus head thing kills your character. What it does with it later, it looks bloody unnerving.

So after downloading a logitech applet for my mouse, I was able to boost the mouse speed even further, so now I can actually aim without slowdowns, it's a mite choppy though probably because it wasn't intended for actual 'real time aiming'. Now I have another problem, just the smallest touch of the mouse will turn me 180 degrees, which can be a problem when a nasty pops up and you turn your back to him.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

What else is there to do in the game besides blow appendages off? Any character development? Puzzle-type things? Research?

How's the "story"? Is it all interesting or just an excuse to blow appendages off?

There is no level system, instead you find upgrade canisters a la Deus Ex and upgrade your suits or your weapons, the weapons all have special abilities, overall it's much the same effect as a leveling system, albeit more primitive.

There's no jumping except in zero grav where you get to walk on the walls, which is pretty cool. Otherwise you get the same feeling of wishing you could do more with the environment as in the witcher.

There is no quicksave, but save stations, and a ATMs where you buy upgrades a la System Shock. The baddies are like something out of a Warhammer Chaos army.

If you have seen the movie Event Horizon, it captures the mood pretty well, so far not that much character interaction.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Random spawns would've upped the scare factor a lot more. As it stands you only fight enemies when you first enter an area or when you come through an area again after completing a mission objective. Once you clear a room you can run around with impunity, though out of habit from Resident Evil 4 I always had my gun up and I backed away whenever I opened a door.

That's good to hear, Maria. I'm worried about the mouse issue with Far Cry 2 and Dead Space. Since you complained about the sluggish control in Far Cry 2, I expect that you're a good source to judge Dead Space. It's close to Christmas at this point, so I don't want to go hog wild with the game purchases. Okay, you've tried both Dead Space and Far Cry 2. What's the word? Which one do you recommend for my shooter experience?

I dunno, the baddies just don't seem that scary design wise, it's just too much, had they looked more human on the other hand...

Although there was this one time where I had no ammo left and had to get to an elevator with only a few shots in the 'time warp gun'. they were blocking my path so I had to beat them to death, one swing that misses and one of them would have latched on to me. That was pretty intense.

By the way, is there any way you can break free once one of them has clasped onto you and is chewing your arms off.

I kept pressing the mele button, but it didn't seem to do anything.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Random spawns would've upped the scare factor a lot more. As it stands you only fight enemies when you first enter an area or when you come through an area again after completing a mission objective. Once you clear a room you can run around with impunity, though out of habit from Resident Evil 4 I always had my gun up and I backed away whenever I opened a door.

Yeah, I did the same thing in doom3. I'd leave my character on rails and just run forward and backwards out whenever entering a new area just to spawn out the enemies and get some room to find and shoot them.

I've hit a bit of a snag.

I have to attach a distress beacon to an asteroid. The asteroid is held in place by a machine you can knock out using the time gun. Next step is to jump to the asteroid and place the beacon. However, the asteroid is encircled by two giant arms of death, I can only guess at their functions. The above mentioned arms can't be targeted by the time gun, it hits the asteroid instead, and there isn't time enough to jump back to safety after placing the beacon, you get sliced in half just as it says 'objective completed'

Anyone.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Jump onto astroid. Run forward so you get the "Entering Vacuum" message, you should be in space at this point. The arms cannot hit you here. Place the beaon (and watch for Necromorphs) and wait for the arms to move out of your way. Then run forward and Zero-G jump to back into the room. I had some problems with this also -- It's all about timing.

Krookie thinks this game is terrifying.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

At least I already have five STDs.

How many do YOU have?

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Yeah, that was like the ultimate comeback for the situation right there. I've got nothing.