AP cinematic teaser trailer

not free roaming in the sense of say Oblivion but there will still probably be areas where you wander around, that's standard for an RPG of any type.

I'm pretty sure the safehouse is a condensed version of all the typical between-mission faffing about. My impression is that you might be able to take side-missions from there and be transported directly to the site. That said, I've only really heard side-missions mentioned secondhand in early previews.

Edited by Cl_Flushentityhero

genrally I find factions to fall into two catagories when put in a game:

Several factions which are tertiary to your gaming experiance. not necessary to complete the game but might give you an ok bonus if you did the right seven quests and keep them happy by having money thrown their way every chance you get.

or

Factions that are required for gameplay purposes which at some point or another will end up making you do a repetative quest to grind out rep with said faction until you are loved enough they will open the way for you to proceed down the main story.

This isn't WOW. I'm sure that if there are factions, your allegiance will be determined through a few very specific, heavily plot-driven events. In a good RPG you don't have any grinding, period.

genrally I find factions to fall into two catagories when put in a game:

Several factions which are tertiary to your gaming experiance. not necessary to complete the game but might give you an ok bonus if you did the right seven quests and keep them happy by having money thrown their way every chance you get.

or

Factions that are required for gameplay purposes which at some point or another will end up making you do a repetative quest to grind out rep with said faction until you are loved enough they will open the way for you to proceed down the main story.

This isn't WOW. I'm sure that if there are factions, your allegiance will be determined through a few very specific, heavily plot-driven events. In a good RPG you don't have any grinding, period.

have you met fable2?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Anybody who says good RPGs don't involve grinding has pretty high standards. I don't usually like it, but I can appreciate games despite it.

My impression is that the emphasis will be on the plot missions and their optional secondary objectives, but we don't have too much to go on either way at this point.

Grinding is only called grinding if combat is boring.

Then grinding is just a matter of opinion.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Then grinding is just a matter of opinion.

What isn't?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Which is why just stating that something is an opinion is pointless and not constructive in any way.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I'm going to argue that grinding is any repetitive action nonessential to the main plot that you have to perform to gain something necessary to proceed in the main plot. If there is no main plot, it's done for its own sake or for PvP advantage.

IMO, this sort of definition is more useful for talking about games because it doesn't have a viewpoint built into it. As such, it's more versatile and allows you to describe the way a game is designed concisely without the subtext that the game is also bad. If you see no use for that sort of terminology . . . *shrug* I doubt I'll convince you otherwise.

I always thought grinding meant doing stuff to gain XP instead of doing it because it was fun. Lots of repetitive combat would be an example of grinding.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I always thought grinding meant doing stuff to gain XP instead of doing it because it was fun. Lots of repetitive combat would be an example of grinding.

I think the general view of grinding is small repetative tasks with a low reward level. I believe it come from the adage "putting your nose to the grindstone" but am not sure about that. It's generally associated with MMO's because there it's used as a way to lengthen the amount of time a person must put in before getting an item. In single player games generally the only Grinding ever seen is the grind for XP. but with the introduction of factions to anything I fear for the grinding of faction rep.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

RPG Vault interview coming soon

Coming Soon

Alpha Protocol Interview - Part 1

Obsidian's intriguing RPG casting you as an elite operative tasked with clandestine assignments around the world

Funcroc, how the hell do you find all this stuff so fast?
I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

ROFL

As far as factions, I don't think they have anything to do with grinding, I think how you approach the mission is what will affect your reputation. The example they gave is if you kill the Marine guard guarding the embassy to get in, you will be on the Marines' crap list, and they will fight you once you get inside, otherwise they help you. In another example, if you don't kill the arms dealer, you probably lose rep with whoever gave you the assignment.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan