What you did today

Gorth

I have had 6 operations this past year and woke in the middle of two of them. First one I could feel the surgeon cutting my leg open. When I ask my

doctor about this after the operation he it happens more than people think.

Was your diastolic so low that you were clinically dead?

I have had 6 operations this past year and woke in the middle of two of them. First one I could feel the surgeon cutting my leg open. When I ask my

doctor about this after the operation he it happens more than people think.

Was your diastolic so low that you were clinically dead?

On one they brought a heart doctor in because my blood pressure when really low, but I also have a heart condition so it wasn't a big surprise

either.

Fair enough, maybe I am wrong.

I am more just basing my opinion on an assumption that if your diastolic is so low that you are clinically dead, you probably aren't getting the oxygen to your brain that you need to remain conscious.

Whats weird is the second time I woke up I was having a stent insert in my leg for a blocked femoral artery and I got a back spasm about

half way though the surgery. My back hurt worse than the operation after I woke up. Avoid any surgeries if you can.

Just jealous of how awesome I am and that I'm potentially almost reeling in a girl while you guys are busy being haters and losers. :down:

*wonders where Shryke is*

hey man, i've just had a couple of days off work, so i've been too busy drinking to go on the intarwebs ;)

monday night i bumped into friends after work and we went to the pub

tuesday during the day i met up with a girl when she finished work and we went drinking

wednesday we woke up to my phone going off. was a txt saying come to the pub (for a friend's birthday drinks)

and now it's thursday, and is another friends birthday, so i'm going round to his place after work for more drinks

and then tomorrow it's the first friends birthday party, and then the following day i'm meeting another friend after work for a catch up and drinks, and then going to the second friends birthday party

my liver is gonna hate me.... :ermm:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

i have many years of doing that sort of thing behind me and my liver is perfectly happy. every other part of my torso, however... ahem. ;)

man i miss being young enough to drink every day. we have to plan ahead now (my friends and i) if we're going to drink more than a few beers only two days in a row. it takes effort, skill, and lots of morning-after drugs (read: advil) to accomplish this feat these days. hangovers don't make underlying anxiety problems any better, either.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

You are saying that because you found out that 1 in 300,000 people die, you are certain you weren't hearing things while under anesthetic. If your diastolic is that low and you're experiencing lung failure, you probably aren't conscious. For reference sake, you have a worse chance of dying due to anesthetic, then you do of flipping a coin 18 times and having it be the same thing every time.

No, I'm saying I found that stat out later, and it was interesting. I definitely heard those things when I was out.

I wasn't conscious. But you can still often hear things when you're unconscious. When I eventually woke up, I remembered them talking about my diastolic pressure. 15 diastolic is 'normal' when you're been under propofol. But certainly, it's entirely possible to still hear things when you're not breathing, too. Not for long, granted, but I was obviously revived straight away or I wouldn't be here now. Anyway, I don't overly care. It was just an amusing anecdote.

And dude, I can't believe you actually bothered to work out the binomial probability of rolling 18 heads or tails in a row. Kudos. Although technically, you should have said "18 heads in a row" since "18 of the same thing" is twice the probability of 18 heads. :lol: It's immaterial, though; my calculation of how many people die each year under GA seems far more relevant. ;)

@Krezack

Any reason that you were put under general anaesthetic? I seem to remember that when my dad had his wisdom tooth removed he was only put under local anaesthetic.

It was a choice of all 4 out at once under general, or 2 out at a time under local (2 trips). Not only was the 4 at once option less hassle, less pain, and less worrisome, but it was also half the price. Heh.

Edited by Krezack

And dude, I can't believe you actually bothered to work out the binomial probability of rolling 18 heads or tails in a row.

not really much to work out... largest power of 2 less than 300000 is 18 (but you do need the "odds i flip heads 18 times in a row" qualification as you note).

taks

uh, 1/2^18 doesn't require logs to know that it is larger than 1/300,000.

taks

No, really? But 2^x < 300,000 does require logs, man.

Do you honestly think alanschu just knew 2^18 was the closest power of two less than 300,000 off the top of his head, taks?

Guest The Architect
True, it's a trivial binomial case. But he still would've had to of used logs or a bunch of guesswork. It's a commendable application of mathematics (assuming logs) to an otherwise fairly mundane topic. :)

Your face is mundane.

Today I'm bullying Krezack, just like any other day!

True, it's a trivial binomial case. But he still would've had to of used logs or a bunch of guesswork. It's a commendable application of mathematics (assuming logs) to an otherwise fairly mundane topic. :)

Your face is mundane.

Don't worry, Shryke will be back again :)

No doubt with plenty of stories of booze and girls :)

Too busy working this week. Not much else gets done :(

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Your face is mundane.

Tough words coming from somebody who won't even man up and come drinking with me!

2^18 = 262,144 < 300,000.

no logs required.

Do you honestly think alanschu just knew 2^18 was the closest power of two less than 300,000 off the top of his head, taks?

yes, at least, i do and i kinda got the impression that alanschu does something with programming, which means he probably does too. most people that work with numbers know their powers of 2 pretty far out.

taks

Guest The Architect
Don't worry, Shryke will be back again :)

So? And your point is? I've only ever had nice things to say about Shryke. Really. Just ask him. :)

Tough words coming from somebody who won't even man up and come drinking with me!

Oh, I didn't realise you were living in Perth now. :(

Edited by The Architect

2^18 = 262,144 < 300,000.

no logs required.

Oh really? Where did you get x=18 from if you didn't use logs?

alanschu wouldn't have known that x=18 was the solution to 2^x < 300000. Do you understand?

yes, at least, i do and i kinda got the impression that alanschu does something with programming, which means he probably does too. most people that work with numbers know their powers of 2 pretty far out.

taks

No. People who work in programming (like myself) know their powers of 2 up to about 12, and then the rest only if they themselves are powers of 2: e.g. 16 and 32. And even that's only by rote - but 2^18 almost never pops up (2^24 does sometimes), so there's zero chance of learning it by exposure.

Let me put it this way: the only architectures to use 18 bit words were last used in 1975.

Edited by Krezack

I could see an awesome slap fight breaking out over this.

also Architect is a mongoloid fattie. :)

Edited by Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I could see an awesome slap fight breaking out over this.

I'll pass; my cheeks are still puffing out after my operation. It's like I've been botox'd.

also Architect is a mongoloid fattie. :)

Wise words, wise words.

Edited by Krezack

How so, what intrigues you about my hands? Is it that they don't look like five bratwurst stapled to a ribeye like your hands do?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Oh really? Where did you get x=18 from if you didn't use logs?

did you read what i said? most people that work with numbers, like programmers, engineers, etc., know all their powers of two out pretty far*. a benchmark is 2^20, for example, which is ~1e6. to get <300000, simply divide by 4, or 2^18.

alanschu wouldn't have known that x=18 was the solution to 2^x < 300000. Do you understand?

nonsense. i do, and i'm guessing he does too.

No. People who work in programming (like myself) know their powers of 2 up to about 12, and then the rest only if they themselves are powers of 2: e.g. 16 and 32. And even that's only by rote - but 2^18 almost never pops up (2^24 does sometimes), so there's zero chance of learning it by exposure.

i'm sorry that you aren't as knowledgeable as i am, or even alanschu. i hope your company isn't overpaying you.

hate to tell you but i work with 32-bit and 64-bit numbers every day. my A/D converter is 14-bit, and after going through the downconverter, the numbers are all 16-bit, which i immediately convert to 32-bit.

it is also pretty easy to figure out in your head the two powers of 2 that bound 300,000. again, i'm sorry you can't do that without a calculator (i don't own one, btw).

Let me put it this way: the only architectures to use 18 bit words were last used in 1975.

gee, even my desktop is 64-bit.

taks

* obviously not you.

Edited by taks