Places you'd like to see

In another thread we were discussing something which made me write up a short list of places we'll most likely be able to visit in the game. But since Obsidian haven't revealed all the places we're actually going to be able to travel to in-game, I thought it could be fun to speculate or suggest places we want our spy to visit.

For example, we've been in New York a billion times in a billion different games. Some games have even let us visit London, Paris, Moscow, Hong Kong and Tokyo, among others. But what about all the thousands of interesting cities in the world which we never hear about in any game?

What cities would you love to see represented in a game?

Personally, I'd love to see more smaller cities being virtualized in games. For one, you could probably fit most of the town's real architecture and map in one level without having to add the entire Blizzard team of world builders to do it. Second, it'd give people a feeling of real exploration knowing a place like this actually exist. I remember recognizing streets in London from all the games I've played there, for example!

Kiruna, Sweden: Small mining town in the most northern parts of Sweden. The town only has around 18,000 inhabitants and it was founded only 120 years ago, but the actual town size is almost 20,000 square kilometers of tundra, ice covered mountains and tree-less landscapes. Incredible vistas, unique architecture and exotic nature would make it an interesting place to hide a super criminal in. Oh, and in the winter it's night 24/7 and the temperatures go below -30 degrees Celsius.. Would probably make a great place for survival horror games too.

L283_109.JPG

Bruges, Belgium: Small harbour town in central Europe and a Unesco World Heritage Site! The old town centre is small enough to fit in a game and features canals and fantastic architecture and town planning from the 12-13'th century. Absolutely stunning buildings, a harbour, narrow, winding streets and beautiful canals. What more could a super villain ask for? It even features a creepy 13'th century belfry!

250px-Brugge-CanalRozenhoedkaai.JPG

These are just two examples of a little more inspired choices from around our fantastic world. Feel free to add your own.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yes, I realize the locations have been decided upon ages ago. Still, I thought it would be fun to read about what people would like to see in a game set in contemporary times.

Taipei (or did you mean Taipan?) sounds cool (and will probably revolve around the Taipei 101), but Moscow and Rome aren't very inspired choices. Would much rather explore Riga or Nagasaki.

Locations only really interest me if they're actually modelled after the actual real life places. Walking through, say, Stockholm's Gamla stan, in AP would be awesome.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Locations only really interest me if they're actually modelled after the actual real life places. Walking through, say, Stockholm's Gamla stan, in AP would be awesome.

Yes, that would truly be amazing, but here's something wrong about that approach. How much of the city will be used? How long would it take to get measurements and recreate the actual city? Don't get me wrong, I'd love it and one of the reasons I wanna play a mindless little game like "Wheelman", starring Vin Diesel, is because they've actually recreated a large part of Barcelona in the game. If OE could deliver such high detail as in actually recreating real areas of the cities Mike visits, it's gonna be huge! I don't think they've mentioned anything like that though.

Oh, I realize why actual real life locations aren't really feasible to implement, it's just that, to me, a generic Asian metropolis called "Hong Kong", has about the same effect as a generic Asian metropolis called "Pingpongyinyang."

Heja Sverige!!

One of the biggest draws, for me, with STALKER was the promise that they had recreated like 60% of the area surrounding Chernobyl. They even had real life photos to compare with and it sure looked lovely. Of course it doesn't have to be 100% accurate, but if you're able to recognize the main parts of a town it gives you so much more than trudging through generic town #23.

I'd like to see something like

as part of a level in Alpha Protocol. Or why not
? :ermm:

As for geographical locations: Dubrovnik (If I was a villain in a Bond movie, I'd have a large villa here)

dubrovnik-2.jpg

Or why not a secret base under a summer resort on some small caribbean island? Of course with a calypso band playing in the background.

eden-rock-hotels-default.jpg

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I would hate actually playing in that place. Reminds me of the Garden in FF8 where you had to run around a massive decorative centre-core to get anywhere. Would certain look great though, imagine playing in that 'stem' area and you look out the windows.

Oh, I realize why actual real life locations aren't really feasible to implement, it's just that, to me, a generic Asian metropolis called "Hong Kong", has about the same effect as a generic Asian metropolis called "Pingpongyinyang."

Pingpongyingyang is great, stop knocking my hometown. :unsure:

I would hate actually playing in that place. Reminds me of the Garden in FF8 where you had to run around a massive decorative centre-core to get anywhere. Would certain look great though, imagine playing in that 'stem' area and you look out the windows.

Wasn't there a screenshot of a garden in AP that looked exactly like that? Or am I thinking one of the latter RE games? I think I'm ... confused? It is confused isn't it?

[whisper] It's baffled! Baffled![/whisper]

Yes, yes, that's it! Baffled!

Or why not a secret base under a summer resort on some small caribbean island? Of course with a calypso band playing in the background.

eden-rock-hotels-default.jpg

You've just described the game White Gold!

But good post. This is what I am talking about. Relatively small and compact yet interesting places that would make great backgrounds for games.

The Moon.

... totally rational.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Moonraker!

Heja Sverige!!

The Moon.

... totally rational.

Moonraker!

Oh God no! Bring Jaws back from the moon too :sorcerer:

Can't we have Mike visit one of the Greek isles? Like Myconos or Ios or Chios or Rhodes? Just as cosmopolitan as the Carribean isles, just less exotic, i.e. no palm tress and coconuts. Sometimes.

A fake Chios was the final level in NOLF 2.

Heja Sverige!!

Call of Duty: United Offensive had the British final levels set in Syracuse, on and around the coast. It was incredibly refreshing.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds