SW: MMORPG

Lol, PalpaTANG is back! What, lost the password to your old account?

He does make a good point though. Dismissing the game at the present level of available info is plain retarded. That's all there's to it, really.

MMOs, as many people have already pointed out in various threads, are primarily designed to keep people playing -id est, they grind and grind and grind-, so it highly unlikely that a plot like that found in either of the original games could be made without it feeling shallow and forced.
I see. So, non-MMOs are designed not to keep people playing, then?

Also, I'm thinking that Battlefield, Counter-Strike, C&C3, and numerous other non-MMOs are a "grind" as well, no?

That aside, the very fact that it is an MMO means that it will, in all likelihood, be targeting that audience and not the one that bought the other two games - something else that is a strike against it.
Yeah. Because before WoW was released, there were ten million MMO players, waiting for it to be released. Only... they didn't know it.

Of course, there is more points i could bring up, but that should be enough for now. -_-
Keep 'em coming. The more you talk about this, the more evident it becomes that your only real beef with MMOs are the monthly fees, which are perfectly justified. Throwing a fit isn't going to make them go away.

This is what I've experienced in MMO's so far. (With the exception of PlanetSide, which is an MMOFPS, and is everchanging, constantly fun battlefield on a massive scale [up to like 350 people in any one area!]) I hope the KOTOR MMO does not follow this pattern, if it does, it will fail miserably in the eyes of everyone on these forums.

Leveling:

Step 1: Kill 10 things to get to lvl 2.

Step 2: Kill 15 things to get to lvl 3.

Step 3: Kill 20 things to get to lvl 4.

Step 4: Kill 25 things to get to lvl 5.

Step 5: Sell the noob items and gold you got from killing 75 w/e and buy your lvl 5 weapon armor.

Step 6: Repeat steps 1-4 with the amount you have to kill till you reach half the reachable levels in the game.

Step 7: Go "OMG I WANT THAT ULTRA RARE GEAR SO BAD"

Step 8: Kill like 5000 things for almost no experience so you can get enough money to buy whatever overpriced piece of gear you want.

Step 9: Go PVP with it.

Step 10: Go PVP with it some more.

Step 11: Get bored. Quit for 2 months.

Step 12: Come back, PVP some more until you realize its boring.

Step 13: Move on. Realize the last 50000 hours of your life were wasted.

QUESTS in MMOs:

Step 1: Talk to an NPC

Step 2: Go collect 10 hides for the NPC.

Step 3: Get 5000 experience because you brought the NPC 10 hides.

Step 4: Repeat Steps 1-3 except the amount of things you have to collect grows in number until you see the exp gained from quests is completely pointless so you go PVP but that is already boring so there is no alternative other than to quit.

Thats why I actually like RuneScape. (Yes, you can make fun of me)

RuneScape allows you to not only go kill 500000000000 things to reach the max levels in combat skills, but you can go fish, chop trees, hunt animals, summon things, cook very complicated meals, craft jewelry, armour, etc, smith metal armors and weapons, mine ores and smelt them into bars, fletch your own bows, etc. There are so many things to do.

The RuneScape quest system for an MMO is the best so far. Graphics are bad but hey, RuneScape quests will befuzzle (lol) you for long periods of time. You literally have to search every brick on every wall for some quests, use certain items with certain things to get access to a riddle. Travel the world gathering information. Cast a spell on a wall (that you have no idea how to figure it out, you just do).

IF the KOTOR MMO takes what RuneScape has done and makes it more Star Wars-like with better graphics, improved quest systems (even more-so) and lots and lots of star wars-like skills that I can mess around wtih, as well as an awesome MAIN PLOT, I won't mind paying montly. 15 dollars a month. You spend like 11 when you and another go eat at Burger King. Its nothing... Well I souldn't say that since I don't know where everyone works... sorry if I've offended anyone.

I might get it if the game is not Pay for Play, otherwise there is no chance in hell that they will get my money. -_-

Hope you have fun playing Galaxies, it will be free when Kotor Mmorpg kicks it ass.

And albion, you seem familar with Runescape and Hello Kitty, you sure know how to pick your games.

Edited by Bass-GameMaster

62nzp7r.jpg

""Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan

This is what I've experienced in MMO's so far.
Um, you mean you had no significant contact or otherwise interacted with other players outside of PvP?

Wow, no wonder you are so bitter.

Move on. Realize the last 50000 hours of your life were wasted.
That statement can apply to anything you can think of, including (but not limited to) posting here.

Still, the idea of a Star Wars MMO is intriguing to me. I played WoW for ~2.5 years and overall enjoyed it before the expansion. A well made SW one could be a lot of fun, and the KOTOR era (especially pre K1) would be the richest point in SW lore to place it, since there are so many Jedi/Sith around.

Ehm, you DO realise that the entire jedi order was wiped out by Sion and Nihilus before TSL and that the Sith were destroyed during the events of the game, right? :)

If the point of the MMO's time setting is to have lots of jedi and sith, KotOR is a really bad time period with only the period of Palpatine's Empire and after being worse.

Ehm, you DO realise that the entire jedi order was wiped out by Sion and Nihilus before TSL and that the Sith were destroyed during the events of the game, right? :)

If the point of the MMO's time setting is to have lots of jedi and sith, KotOR is a really bad time period with only the period of Palpatine's Empire and after being worse.

Good lord, learn to read please.
A well made SW one could be a lot of fun, and the KOTOR era (especially pre K1) would be the richest point in SW lore to place it, since there are so many Jedi/Sith around.

Good lord, learn to read please.
A well made SW one could be a lot of fun, and the KOTOR era (especially pre K1) would be the richest point in SW lore to place it, since there are so many Jedi/Sith around.

You really need to take a closer look at Star Wars of the period you speculate about. The Great Sith War about 40 years before KotOR1 left the order decimated. For example, Atris tells Revan in the KotOR comic book #9 that the order is still rebuilding from the last war, referring to the Great Sith War against Exar Kun and Ulic Qel-Droma. There were more jedi before that war, but no Sith - that's why the Great Sith War got as bad as it did - the jedi were totally unprepared for it. Ulic Qel-Droma is even noted in Tales of the Jedi #2 (the paperback collection of which was titled "Knights of the Old Republic" long before Bioware began work on K1) as having heard only stories of the dark side until that point.

A major point of the current on-going KotOR comic book is that precisely for the purpose of not being caught unawares again, a covenant exists within the order to detect and eliminate the Sith threat before it can rise again. Therefore a major Sith presense in the time between the Great Sith War around 4000 BBY and the Mandalorian Wars around 3963 BBY would directly contradict the plot of KotOR comic book, which is canon in Star Wars lore. And since a major point of KotOR1 is that Revan and Malak could build their own Sith order, it can be safely concluded that the Sith were not numerous or active in the years between, or Revan and Malak would have had to challenge them for rule of the Sith, which was not the case.

So no, you do not have a time period here where both jedi and sith are numerous at the same time, and you won't have one until at least several generations after TSL.

So, non-MMOs are designed not to keep people playing, then?

Sort of, the developers probably do not care as much if you decide to take a month or two off from a non-MMO game.

Also, I'm thinking that Battlefield, Counter-Strike, C&C3, and numerous other non-MMOs are a "grind" as well, no?

Not really, while they are repetitive I would not say that the games you mentioned use "grind."

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Sort of, the developers probably do not care as much if you decide to take a month or two off from a non-MMO game.
No, but they'd be worried if people couldn't bring themselves to finish their game. Different intended lifespans for different games. The developers hope to get your money in exchange for a certain amount of game content among other things, be it a MMO or not. In the case of MMOs, this is addressed by releasing new content to keep the playerbase interested. In the case of non-MMOs, the more time you spend playing and replaying a game, the higher the chances you'll be interested in that developer's next project (or retail expansions for that game). That's why purely SP games get patches too, you know.

Not really, while they are repetitive I would not say that the games you mentioned use "grind."
Nice. "Grind" is then, for all intents and purposes a buzz word without any actual meaning, to be used when attacking MMOs. I understand now.

For the record, I'm not trashing on a game that has very little, if any real, information yet. I was stating the reasons why I would not bother with it.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

That's why purely SP games get patches too, you know.

Sometimes these contain new features, but just as often they simply fix existing bugs.

Nice. "Grind" is then, for all intents and purposes a buzz word without any actual meaning, to be used when attacking MMOs. I understand now.

No, the word simply does not apply to the games you mentioned. Real-Time Strategy and Multiplayer Online Games, unless they are played competitively, tend not to have levels, stats, or other things that make people feel that they have to "grind" through a portion of the game. For example, you do not have to chop down X-number of trees or shoot Y-number of terrorists in Counter Strike before you unlock a skill or skills - unlike some MMOs.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I might get it if the game is not Pay for Play, otherwise there is no chance in hell that they will get my money. :bat:

Hope you have fun playing Galaxies, it will be free when Kotor Mmorpg kicks it ass.

And albion, you seem familar with Runescape and Hello Kitty, you sure know how to pick your games.

So that was an attempt at an Insult? Fail.

I am very familiar with RuneScape. Lvl 93. Is that bad? The graphics are bad, get over it. Didn't even know Hello Kitty was anything but a TV show.

And I obviously know how to pick my games if I play the KOTORs, or are you now saying that KOTOR is lame?

Go try every MMO and every console game out there before you tell someone who has that htey don't know how to pick games.

Out of the multitudes of MMOs out there I am subscribed to 2 for about 20 dollars a month. I make that in 1/3 a day at work, and for hte enjoyment I get out of it, its wroth it.

If you are referring to 3/4 RuneScapes playerbase, then I'll agree with you. It sucks.

Edited by Albion72

Sometimes these contain new features, but just as often they simply fix existing bugs.
Huh? That's not what I meant. Companies patch their SP games so that bugs don't force people to dump their games early - which would hurt company image and future sales.

No, the word simply does not apply to the games you mentioned. Real-Time Strategy and Multiplayer Online Games, unless they are played competitively, tend not to have levels, stats, or other things that make people feel that they have to "grind" through a portion of the game. For example, you do not have to chop down X-number of trees or shoot Y-number of terrorists in Counter Strike before you unlock a skill or skills - unlike some MMOs.
So? You are not forced to do what you describe in MMOs - just like you are not forced to rank #1 at the CS killboard. If you "feel" you have to, you need to find another hobby.

Really, how many MMOs have you played recently? When players are forced to "grind", it's not necessarily because the game is designed that way (some are), but because "hardcore" players cut through content at insane rates. KotOR 2 was what, 40 hours? How long do you think the game would last for some guy that puts in 6 hours daily, 6-7 days a week? More casual players will hardly be forced to "grind" because "there's nothing else to do".

So, stop making stuff up.

Heh heh, I didnt say anything about Kotor, so your attempt at returning the favor truly fails.. I Bet you excited about E3 I heard Runescapes actually getting 2d graphics, what a great step up the ladder. And I practically have played every mmo, and mostly every xbox-xbox 360 game.

Another person with no brains.

Graphics don't equal good gameplay.

Go play Crysis because we all know the better the graphics the better the game.

Edited by Albion72