The Beer Thread

Monte Carlo

well, there's actually more good ones than bad ones, just not all are available everywhere. you won't find either odell's or bristol brewing beer, for example, outside of colorado.

taks

Well, a lot of good that does me. :)

As for that banana flavored beer, I think it is imported from Germany. They have it at a local bar that I go to once in a while called "London Underground." I don't love all beer, but I do love good beer. Big world of difference.

Ah, found the name of it. Its called Hefeweizen. Damn good beer.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

As an aside, I was really surprised to see AB fall to the hostile takeover from that Belgian company.

the denizens of st. louis are livid over this. this has the potential for major economic impact in st. louis.

sand, that's the nature of the beast. if you want to drink good american beer, you have to go to bars that carry local beers on tap or find large liquor stores that carry the good stuff. rarely will you find anything from out of state even (unless you live near a border), though some are popular enough to have regional presence. fortunately, i can get most of the beer i like just about anywhere i go, but it's almost all from CO anyway.

the mass produced crap typically serves one purpose: intoxication. as the joke goes, it's like having sex in a canoe: effing close to water.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I guess if I want good American beer I need to go to Colorado. :)

Still, the level on how much Keystone Light 30 packs I sell disgusts me.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

CO and OR are the two highest per capita micro-brew states in the US last i heard. every little po-dunk town in CO has its own brewery, and there's a lot of po-dunk towns in CO for sure. heck, even the "local" restaurant chains all have their own breweries, as do a bazillian (technical term) other restaurants. rock bottom and old chicago are two that come to mind immediately (both owned by the same corporation, btw).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Please don\'t do that ever again. I read my posts from that thread and realized I wrote pretty much the exact thing twice. Now I\'m questioning my entire life...have I just been repeating the same tired mantras over and over again? *sigh*
Well, at least you haven\'t been contradicting youself in such an important matter, that could and would have been used against you... :mellow:

I also still like the same beers (Locher and some czech), and I prefer them cool.

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

There is only one great beer in the world and that is Guinness. :mellow:

good, but not the be all and end all of beers

found some interesting beers at a bar just down the road from work the other day. im kinda tempted to go there after work today and try a few more of the interesting sounding ones

one i tried was Hoegaarden (sp?) - the Forbidden Fruit

was about an 8%er, and tasted almost spicy

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Being from a Beer nation I have to mention Carlsberg and Tuborg.. Although they really aren't that great.

Some of the better beer available here are

hoegaarden.gif - Hoegaarden - a beer from Belgium, it's a Wiessbeer. It has a long history and was first made in the 15th century.

I picked this one up at the grocery store tonight based on your recommendation. It has Orange Peel in it? It will be interesting, I'll try it tomorrow night.

Guest The Architect

Real men drink red wine and spirits. People who prefer beers are just gays trying to look like they aren't.

Real men drink red wine and spirits. People who prefer beers are just gays trying to look like they aren't.

aw poor widdle Archie doesn't like beer coz it's icky :p

i thought you said you tried Kilkenny and thought it was actually okay?

Guest The Architect

Yes I did, and it was nice. But that's the only beer I like so far, so it doesn't mean I'm on the beer bandwagon all of a sudden. One's not enough. That's like saying "Hey I'm a Pink Floyd fan, but I've only listened to two of their songs." So wine/spirits still > beer. :p

generally, i actually agree with you

i do prefer wine/spirits to beer, but that doesn't mean i can't appreciate a good beer every now and then :p

That's clearly wrong. I mean I look gay and drink beer.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I picked this one up at the grocery store tonight based on your recommendation. It has Orange Peel in it? It will be interesting, I'll try it tomorrow night.

The orange just gives it a bittersweet taste, that goes well with a White beer. Drink it in a big glass so it can take some air. I don't know why but that's really good for the taste imo.

Also.. for all you beer lovers, if you should by any chance be hanging around Europe in September, I recommend the;

European Beer Festival in Copenhagen. It's mostly Scandinavian beers, but then again, we've been making beer in this part of the world for over a 1000 years.. I would like to think we know what we are doing. :sorcerer:

Fortune favors the bald.

Guest The Architect

I rest my case. :sorcerer:

I don't really believe that. I was just poking fun at the stereotype that you're not a real man if you don't drink beer.

I rest my case. :sorcerer:

I don't really believe that. I was just poking fun at the stereotype that you're not a real man if you don't drink beer.

You may be a real man, but you shall be a pale, sad man, possibly dying from consumption.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Guest The Architect

Real man? Hell yes, as long as my two nut sub stays attatched to me. Pale? Nah, I have Italian ethnicity. Sad? No way {I :p you Jack.... Daniels.... the drink}. Die of consumption? Of alcohol, most likely, yes.

Being from a Beer nation I have to mention Carlsberg and Tuborg.. Although they really aren't that great.

Some of the better beer available here are

hoegaarden.gif - Hoegaarden - a beer from Belgium, it's a Wiessbeer. It has a long history and was first made in the 15th century.

I've had it once and it was alright. It had a powerful wheaty taste if I remember right. Which I suppose it to expected when drinking a Belgian beer.

Any recommendations for the future, I'm looking to get something off the beaten path to have this weekend?

Local beer is always interesting - try if you can find a local brewery around you and see what they have available.

For the enviromentaly oriented beer drinker, the Danish "Thy Classic" (organic beer) is really amazing. I don't know if it's available outside of DK, but if it is you should really try it. A good solid beer, with a great taste. Probably horribly expensive for most people though.

post-5477-1216928388_thumb.jpg

Fortune favors the bald.

Real man? Hell yes, as long as my two nut sub stays attatched to me. Pale? Nah, I have Italian ethnicity. Sad? No way {I :lol: you Jack.... Daniels.... the drink}. Die of consumption? Of alcohol, most likely, yes.

I did my fortnightly booze shop, and picked up only wine. I have mostly gone for Aussies as light and good summer drinking, with two bottles of Portuguese. One rose, one green. Green wine is pretty nice, but new to me. Slightly petillant (fizzy), and quite sour. Good for tapas.

-Elwood Blues