Sweden approves Echelon!

Meshugger

yeah, all americans get this when they turn twelve and enter into the vast right-wing conspiracy club. Thats the black manual for How to Do American Badness. You'll see most of those things going on in every middle school playground in america.

Edited by Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

A supposed terrorist would have to write something like: "at 13:45 on tuesday the 12th of august 2008, im going to release sarine gas at Pillesnoppv
Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

I was acting in character, but that's essentially it. Constitution hasn't been suspended, the govt hasn't been given carte blanche to perform anal probing on any and all citizens at their leisure, or anything. It's not the end of freedom as we know it.

Sure, it's not cool that my electronic comms are being constantly monitored, but it's not such a big deal. It's not like some bozo at the other end of the line is actually reading what I post here, but even if he does, so what? They still can't arrest me if I say I'd kill Bush, or anything. I don't know how it works over there, but here, there are very strict limitations regarding how and with what purpose any private information can be used by the Administration and authorities, and AFAIK, Echelon doesn't change that.

Yeah, yeah. Big Bro is here and all. Wake me up in time for two minutes hate.

How is it so different to what gmail does? Or any of the big internet companies? I'm constantly baffled by how much posterior trauma people are cheerfully accepting from companies for no reason when they freak at the first sign of danger if it's a government. tescos are much more likely to mishandle me than the govt are.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

tescos are much more likely to mishandle me than the govt are.

The British goverment? Aren't they the ones with the public distribution of cd/dvd's with interesting information on them?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

tescos are much more likely to mishandle me than the govt are.

The British goverment? Aren't they the ones with the public distribution of cd/dvd's with interesting information on them?

:) Yes. Exactly. BritGov uses full disclosure!

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Sweden. Welcome to the darkside!

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

How is it so different to what gmail does? Or any of the big internet companies? I'm constantly baffled by how much posterior trauma people are cheerfully accepting from companies for no reason when they freak at the first sign of danger if it's a government. tescos are much more likely to mishandle me than the govt are.

Are you claiming gmail or ISPs actively violate privacy? Or even have a right to? Please don't try be misleading.

This would be bad, too if any entity had legal immunity to privacy violation, but that it's a government with it is worse - not because the government is necessarily untrustworthy, but because it's a right they don't deserve and which can easily be abused. Governments are fluid things, and you can't base your defence of them on the notion that they stay static, because they most certainly do not.

And by the way, random n00b, they most certainly can arrest you if you say you plan to kill Bush. Both in Britain and America.

Are you claiming gmail or ISPs actively violate privacy? Or even have a right to? Please don't try be misleading.

This would be bad, too if any entity had legal immunity to privacy violation, but that it's a government with it is worse - not because the government is necessarily untrustworthy, but because it's a right they don't deserve and which can easily be abused. Governments are fluid things, and you can't base your defence of them on the notion that they stay static, because they most certainly do not.

And by the way, random n00b, they most certainly can arrest you if you say you plan to kill Bush. Both in Britain and America.

What do you mean right they don't have? At least in the UK there is no such thing as a constitution. Our constitution is whatever we will put up with, with the exception of habeus corpus, and it turns out even that no longer applies.

-Elwood Blues

What about here in Australia? Because I plan to kill Bush, to make way for industry.

I know there was a recent anti-terror law introduced about detainment but I can't remember how it goes. I think they can hold you for like 2 days or something without charge.

Which, if you read my post, you'll find is not what I said.

Yes, I guess you can be arrested if whatever statements you make can be construed as threats. But that applies to everyone, not just the US Prez. Otherwise, not likely.

Edited by random n00b

The bottom line with Echelon is that it works. See 'Big Boys Rules' (I forget the author). The IRA, and other terrorists are basically lethal amateur dramatics clubs with bombs. They hire weak players, they make mistakes, they get over-excited, and they slip up. The point of Echelon is to make sure we are ALWAYS listening so when they do slip up by communications we catch them.

-Elwood Blues