Geforce GTX 280

Bokishi

280? Frigging waste of energy.

Waiting for the first reviews of the 260 and the soon to be released atis (maximally equal to lower performance, hopefully lower energy consumption, lower price).

[edit]got the numbers wrong 208 -> 280 :woot:

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I'm hoping the 4870 is at least comparable to the Nvidia equivalents this time around because I am very reluctant to switching drivers again. If the 4870 can't compete, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go back to Nvidia. I am still running games on my old X1950XTX! Of course, it hasn't buckled yet (except for Crysis), but I would love to be able to play all new games on my 1080p TV..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm hoping the 4870 is at least comparable to the Nvidia equivalents this time around because I am very reluctant to switching drivers again. If the 4870 can't compete
The way things look right now, it may be able to compete with the 260, with a lower price tag, even if nVidia lowered their recommended price today. We'll see on the 25th... All the rumors right now aren't very convincing and quite contradictory, plus, even if any of them were true, all the rumored benchmarks are made with unfinished drivers, and only the usual benchmarking programs and Crysis (plus sometimes CoD4, World in Conflict) are used which doesn't reflect the performance of games I'm interested in. Edited by samm

I'm still on the fence myself tbh, I'll probably need to get three of them to see any major improvement over what I got now, and I got loans to pay now

How do you think your rig would look in red?

GTX 280 review scans from PC Gamer.

If those numbers are real then nvidia is in trouble...

Yeah. It just boggles the mind that they were apparently going to release this thing at $650.

What kind of FPS do you get in Crysis at 2560 with your tri-sli'd 8800's? If these numbers are real then your setup looks to be far from obsolete.

Also, where have you been for the past couple weeks? Before this topic I hadn't seen you are in a couple weeks.

Wow. Slower than a GX2 in majority of benchmarks. Costs $150 more. 1.4 BILLION TRANSISTORS :blink: AT 65nm => terrible yields. Doesn't appear to be a sound financial move on Nvidia's part to have released this. They should have kept it as an engineering exercise and released it a few months later in 45nm, potentially in GX2 form.

At 2560 I get about 30-50 in DX9 mode

And yeah I've been out more, trying to live it up and upgrade my life instead of upgrading my rig

Must... resist... puns...

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

LOL this is almost as bad as the 9800GX2, maybe I'll go wait for the 55nm shrink later this year

If you only had a single 8800 GTX it wouldn't be such a bad upgrade, but your tri-sli setup is bit of a special situation. :rolleyes:

Now that Intel is getting ready to release Nehalem, I'm waiting for that and it's motherboards to mature before I decide about video. Odds are I'll go with a GTX 280. By the time I'm ready, the price and die size may have been reduced. My current rig is adequate for what I'm doing, so I'm willing to wait and see.

I think that i'll skip the 2xx-generation of nVidia cards. How's the next generation AMD-Ati cards doing?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

They'll do all right, it seems. Preliminary benchmarks show a great improvent to the HD3xxx-Series. They'll be mid-range to performance cards, except the next "x2"-model (hd 4890?) that will compete with the 280 (or rather be faster than it, because HD4850 Crossfire apparently beats the 280, with lower costs and less powerconsumption - while of course still using A LOT of current). A 4850 seems to be at the level of an 9800GTX. As said, these values are still to be considered rumors even if the cards really were sold and tested, it wasn't by professionals, and with beta drivers. The 4870 will only be out with the official launch at the 25th, and some people estimate its performance close to a 260.

Edited by samm

The 200-series are not dual cards are they? And so do they actually use all their ram? the 260 with 850mb of ram seems to be a friggin sweet deal. Being a CG person, I need as much memory on my card as technicly possible.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "