Recommend Me A Good Solid-State MP3 Player

Humodour

Mine has a battery life of around 8 hrs, thats with proper hi fi headphones, except no substitutes. A lot more if you are into self torture and plugs. Anyway thats usually long enough to get to another computer, plug it into the USB and it recharges.

Says 36hrs in the manual, but this is a required lie these days I think, much like the nonsensical calculation of how many 'songs' a player can contain.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Hmm I'll take a look at the iPod flash players as well.

Wals: Ya, I don't want any of this deliberately soldered in iPod battery crap (it's to prevent the purchase of cheaper batteries from third parties). That said, all my previous experience with players they've had batteries of at least 8 hours length... that not the norm anymore?

Gorgon: number of songs is a fairly legit calculation. Average song size used to be 3mb but it's probably more like 5mb now (function of length mostly). 4gb is about 4000 mb (extra taken up by OS, firmware, and such) so you can store something to the order of 800 songs on a 4gb player. In my experience, such calculations are often fairly good guides. You're spot on about battery life calculations being unreliable, though.

A note on the new iPod Nano battery life: I've had mine last up to seven hours uncharged, turned off roughly 30 minutes of those seven hours. It was in my pocket the whole time during an outdoor session of a skatepark. That being said, songs were not skipped, the volume was not altered and the temperature was roughly 75 degrees fahrenheit outside and then however hot and humid it was in my pocket.

I know people who have a variety of other MP3 flash players and have had no issues with them what so ever. If you end up having a question on a specific model (or perhaps I can list the ones more contactable friends have) and want feed back on them, I can get it for you. All of us BMX in our free time, so the conditions are a little harsher than what the average jogger puts on a portable music player.

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

Just hopping back to agree with everything Gorgon said about the T10. The real advantages are a reasonably drag-and-drop / hassle-free mechanism, pretty and decent interface, very small size and good sound quality. But once again, if you are looking to go running around in this stuff, then a small fragile touch-screen unit may not be the best way to go - you will know yourself how well/carefully you treat your mp3 players, how prone they seem to be to break for you personally, and so forth. I tend to drop mine a lot, so have to be careful with this one.

That said, all my previous experience with players they've had batteries of at least 8 hours length... that not the norm anymore?

I've listened to my Nano for very extended periods of time without charging without any problems, eight hours seems like a conservative estimate to me. :biggrin:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot