8600 GT vs 8800 GT

Xard

So, uhh, my friend bought "by mistake" 8600 GT for his second computer and he doesn't have need for it. He constantly nagged on me today about it until I gave up and promised to consider it. Now I've been thinking about buying new video card for some time now as I finally have funds for it.

8800 GT has been my aim for some time now as it is commonly perceived as best card when money-power relationship is considered and it is very close to much more pricey 8800 GTX in power. I could buy it and spend most of my money for upgrading (for remains of this year).

Or then I could buy 8600 GT for mere 80 euros and spend rest on something superawesome like this

GPUreview wasn't too much help this time. Of course 8800 GT is better but is it considerable difference? I've read some great reviews about 8600 too

Oh, and of course I'm buying either ASUS 8600 GT 512 Mt PCI-E or ASUS 8800 GT 256 MT PCI-E to be specific

So, which one should I go for and why? :lol:

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

GPUreview wasn't too much help this time. Of course 8800 GT is better but is it considerable difference? I've read some great reviews about 8600 too
The 8600gt is considerably slower than the 8800GT, and by considerably I mean less than half the performance. If you understand german, have a look at this column at the 3dcenter. It appeared directly after the launch of the 8600gt(s), quite some time before the 8800gt, but the performance of the 8800gt is comparable to the 8800gts (old model). Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I'd like to add that 80

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

For some reason video cards tend to be expensive in Finland. For example cheapest price you can get 8600 GT (according to several price comparison sites) from shop in here costs 86 euros.

How much 9600 GT costs and how it compares to 8800 GT? And does it work with AM2 socket?

Edited by Xard

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

That's not really true, it just depends on your budget. A 9600GT is about 30% cheaper than a 8800GT, and it certainly isn't 30% slower.

Edit: Nevermind, get this 8800GT. Prices are higher in Finland, my ass.

Heja Sverige!!

That's not really true, it just depends on your budget. A 9600GT is about 30% cheaper than a 8800GT, and it certainly isn't 30% slower.

Edit: Nevermind, get this 8800GT. Prices are higher in Finland, my ass.

Woah, that's it then. I take 8800 GT. If it goes with AM2 Socket? I know 8600 GT goes...

Pid, as you can see 8600 GT is considerably more expensive here than in Portugal

Guess its case only with some cards though *shrug*

8600GT.

I'd stick to this store, if I were you.

Heja Sverige!!

Woah, that's it then. I take 8800 GT. If it goes with AM2 Socket? I know 8600 GT goes...
The processor socket doesn't matter, as long as there's a PCI-Express slot on the motherboard :) And because there are no 8600GT for AGP (or even PCI, :huh: ) (that I'm aware of), the card should fit just fine. Oh, and make sure you don't get a 256MB model, because they are teh looz0rs!

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

Oh, and make sure you don't get a 256MB model, because they are teh looz0rs!

Listen to samm. This is the key to your purchase.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I bow before your wisdom then and get 8800 GT 512 Mt *bows*

Thanks, eat cake and grow jolly and fat :lol:

Good choice. I have a 8800 GT 512MB RAM as well, highly recommended.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy