Quick BG2 question

Arkan

Aren't level 21 clerics (multiclass too?) supposed to get a ring or something depending on their alignment?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I think it's level 26.

It's a holy symbol for a ring slot IIRC.

Ah, donkey shin

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

What level do you have to be to be able to turn/destroy liches/demi-liches? I'm at 23 right now, with tactics installed, and I still can't even turn them.

It depends on their level as well. I doubt you'll be able any time soon - they are meant to be very powerful foes.

Hm...I was level 34 and still couldn't chunk Bodhi. I guess that'd be too easy though.

Anyway, I'm soloing a fighter/cleric through hell right now, with tactics installed. I don't have a choice but to cheat here, as half of my items were taken in the process, including my only weapon (crom faeyr), cloak of mirroring, and amulet of power. That's just retarded. What, they didn't make the battle hard enough by including a facking dragon, beholder, super sarevok, and that sword on top of Jonny himself?

The theft of weapons is random, I believe, but it does screw you over if you are a one-man party - if you are a normal one, it's not that bad. You might as well cheat back your equipment and try and fight through it, maybe - but yeah, I always thought the Tactics Irenicus was some sort of an ensemble of pain.

Anyway, I'm soloing a fighter/cleric through hell right now, with tactics installed. I don't have a choice but to cheat here, as half of my items were taken in the process, including my only weapon (crom faeyr), cloak of mirroring, and amulet of power. That's just retarded. What, they didn't make the battle hard enough by including a facking dragon, beholder, super sarevok, and that sword on top of Jonny himself?

The Tactics mod is outdated and its difficulty enhancing capabilities have since been surpassed by other mods which play fair and rely on highly advanced AI instead of using cheep methods such as taking the party's items and/or giving opponents absurd abilities/resistances. See SCSII for an example of a modern AI enhancing mod.

BTW, Arkan, this might also interest you: Flaming Swords in BG2.

Edited by aVENGER

The Tactics mod is outdated and its difficulty enhancing capabilities have since been surpassed by other mods which play fair and rely on highly advanced AI instead of using cheep methods such as taking the party's items and/or giving opponents absurd abilities/resistances. See SCSII for an example of a modern AI enhancing mod.

OH yes, I picked up the flaming swords. :ermm:

Tactics outdated, huh? I"ll have to give the other thing a try.

I don't know by outdated. I think complemented is a better word for it. SCGII and Tactics seem to do wildly different things, at least to me. The AI enhancement of Tactics helps, but the core of the mod is the ridiculously hard encounters that it adds. They're not there to make the game tougher, they're there to challenge the number crunchers.

But I haven't played SGCII so maybe I'm way off. So I'll ask, how much difficult does it make the game, preferably in comparison to Tactics? Are the two compatible with each other?

SUCCESS! Sometimes you have to fight cheese with cheese.

I dropped my equipment that was stolen, started the fight, grabbed my phat lewt, and darted for the eastern staircase. From there, I buffed up with all the protections I had, which basically made me impervious to anything except direct melee attacks (death ward, remove fear, chaotic commands, et al, in addition to all my equipped gear). I used smite evil thrice to kill that sword and injure the beholder. I then summoned two fiends as a buffer for when the dam (read: the dragon) breaks. I HEART FIRESTORM. Nothing escapes it unless you're protected from fire, which the dragon was not. Two did the trick. As my fiery rain destroyed the dragon, I summoned two greater werebears to my side to help with Sarevok when the time came. Dragon dies, and I grab the flail of many heads to slow him down. Two greater whirlwinds chunked him handily. I look up and what do I see? A poor beholder lying face down in a pool of it's own eye goo. Must have been the work of the two pit fiends. So now it's just Irenicus and me...and the two pit fiends. After chasing him all over the screen multiple times as I laugh at his spells that just bounce off me, I get fed up with his constant protection from magic weapons. FORTUNATELY I still had a mundane flail I grabbed in Watcher's Keep (Aha!!!). He was mince meat after that.

Round two: A slayer Jonny and a few shadows? Hahah! Don't make me laugh. Wait...he force drops all my inventory and tosses me to the back of the screen? Fine. I still have all my protections and haste, so I go pick it up and turn my anger towards the Slayer. Me 2, Irenicus 0

Round three: Again!? Just die already! At least I have all my stuff. He Dimension doors somewhere, so I decide I've had enough. I gate in 3 more pit fiends, and by this time, I have an army of shadows at my disposal (worthless fodder). Well, Jon ignores the pit fiends, and two of them seem to go at each other, for whatever reason. So I'm just chasing Jonny Boy around the level, pounding him senseless, but he keeps jumping away and healing. Finally, I catch him with a critical from the Flail of Ages and slow his "progress." Still, his protection from magic weapons fires...no biggie, I still got some regular cold steal. I fire up a whirlwind and wail on him hardcore, just as his dimension door sparks up, I get in my final blow and he's down for the count!

TOTAL KNOCKOUT!

An interesting thing happened, though, before the battle.

I KNOW I did all the good paths. I was going to do a few evil and a few good (to maximize effects), as I'm chaotic neutral, and just cheat back my alignment later. Well, after looking up what tear gives what bonus I think "Boy, evil dudes sure get the shaft in this part." Anyway, the last tear gives me +2 INT where it should be +1 to WIS and CHA, and My alignment shifts first from chaotic good to chaotic evil...twice. An odd occurrence.

Just thought I'd pop in and say it's good to see you're still around, aVENGER. :)

Nice, I could never beat the Tactics Irenicus, but it's because I don't actually build characters meticulously and they always seem to have gaping holes. How did you summon 5 pit fiends without resting, though? Scrolls?

Nice, I could never beat the Tactics Irenicus, but it's because I don't actually build characters meticulously and they always seem to have gaping holes. How did you summon 5 pit fiends without resting, though? Scrolls?

38 level cleric with 22 wisdom :)

That left enough room for 2 firestorms and a summon deva, which I didn't have to use.

Edited by Arkan

I don't know by outdated. I think complemented is a better word for it. SCGII and Tactics seem to do wildly different things, at least to me. The AI enhancement of Tactics helps, but the core of the mod is the ridiculously hard encounters that it adds. They're not there to make the game tougher, they're there to challenge the number crunchers. So I'll ask, how much difficult does it make the game, preferably in comparison to Tactics? Are the two compatible with each other?

It largely depends on the components which you chose to install. SCSII is extremely modular and it's possible to mix and match its components until you're satisfied with the difficulty level. It even contains some "remixed" Tactics components (i.e. Improved Bodhi) though I haven't tried any of those as I usually stick with pure AI enhancements. AFAIK, Tactics and SCSII are at least partially compatible, but you'd best check the readme for more details.

Just thought I'd pop in and say it's good to see you're still around, aVENGER. :p

Heh, I still lurk here on occasion, though nowadays, I mostly hang around various BG2 modding communities. Nice to see you're still here as well. ;)

Installing now.

Thanks for the heads up man! :p

I have just finished BG1, uninstalled Tutu, reinstalled BG2, installed Gibberlings Fixpack, Check the Bodies, Gibberlings Tweaks, Unfinished Business, Banter Pack and SCSII (in that order, because I forgot about scs, wonder how much it will break). First time I actually got an un-corrupted download of CtB, so that should be a fun experience for my imported assassin. Also look forward to playing through an entire game with SCS2 for the first time, after Tactis and Improved Battles.

I have just finished BG1, uninstalled Tutu, reinstalled BG2, installed Gibberlings Fixpack, Check the Bodies, Gibberlings Tweaks, Unfinished Business, Banter Pack and SCSII (in that order, because I forgot about scs, wonder how much it will break). First time I actually got an un-corrupted download of CtB, so that should be a fun experience for my imported assassin. Also look forward to playing through an entire game with SCS2 for the first time, after Tactis and Improved Battles.
Heh.

Hah, I've been using that one for a few years now, but forgot about it this install - just put it in. :p I especially appreciated the two weapon style points fix - although it's a real pain dual-wielding with Thieves in BG2 anyway, just because you have to go into the inventory to switch between dual wield and longbows. But it is one of my must-mods.

edit: Gah! It's a good thing I didn't start playing yet. The "Thieves now behave less erratically" interest me a lot. Uninstalling mods from Weidu always seems to be problematic though, if it's not the last installed mod. I wonder if I should reinstlal entirely?

Hah, I've been using that one for a few years now, but forgot about it this install - just put it in. :p I especially appreciated the two weapon style points fix - although it's a real pain dual-wielding with Thieves in BG2 anyway, just because you have to go into the inventory to switch between dual wield and longbows. But it is one of my must-mods.

I'm glad you like it. ;) BTW, make sure to get the latest version as the old ones had some compatibility issues with other mods.

Crap, you're still updating it? I used 3.71, but currently installing SCS6 on top of that, so I don't know if going back is the best idea (Weidu doesn't seem to like it.) Are my fears justified or...?