Filipinos warned that crucifixions could be hazardous to their health.

_44503963_crucifixions3_b203_ap.jpg

Filipinos warned on crucifixions

Health officials in the Philippines have issued a warning to people taking part in Easter crucifixion rituals.

They have urged them to get tetanus vaccinations before they flagellate themselves and are nailed to crosses, and to practise good hygiene.

On Good Friday dozens of very devout Catholics in the Philippines re-enact the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

It is something that has become a huge tourist attraction, although the Church frowns on the practice.

Disinfect

The health department has strongly advised penitents to check the condition of the whips they plan to use to lash their backs, the Manila Times newspaper reports.

They want people to have what they call "well-maintained" whips.

In the hot and dusty atmosphere, officials warn, using unhygienic whips to make deep cuts in the body could lead to tetanus and other infections.

And they advise that the nails used to fix people to crosses must be properly disinfected first. Often people soak the nails in alcohol throughout the year.

Every Good Friday, in towns across the Philippines, people atone for sins or give thanks for an answered prayer by re-enacting the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.

Giving thanks

In the northern city of San Fernando alone there will be three separate improvised Golgothas - the biblical name for the hill where Jesus was crucified.

Four people there have pledged to have their feet and hands nailed to wooden crosses, while others will flog themselves while walking barefoot through villages.

Sometimes people repeat the penance year after year, like the fish vendor who will be nailed to the cross for the 15th and last time on Friday to give thanks for his mother's recovery from tuberculosis.

With long hair and a beard, wearing sandals and a crown of thorns, he is tied with cloth to the cross but also has nails driven through the flesh of his hands and feet, avoiding the bones.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7305522.stm

-My Comments-

Who would have thought that driving nails through your own flesh to reenact a, most likely, fictional event might not be such a good idea.

:yes:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Who would have thought that driving nails through your own flesh to reenact a, most likely, fictional event might not be such a good idea.

:yes:

DN, are you

A) Stupid

B) Troll

C) Ignorant

Geez. People do many kinds of weird things when they're in religious euphoria so it does make sense to give health warnings (it is still amusing though)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I never said the warning did not make sense, it is the initial act itself that I cannot understand - why would someone willingly do such a thing? Also, aren't you in a mood today, Xard.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

There's no limits to stupidity of acts of men, especially when done under all sorts of euphoria/whatever situations.

driving nails through your own flesh to reenact a, most likely, fictional event

If you honestly can say things like this I can only find those three explanations ( plus doing it for the lulz but that goes under trolling category)

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

I've not seen these (or similar) displays, but the people who enact them are 100% committed. Moreover they heal remarkably afterwards. My grandmother witnessed them in Bali, as did my great Aunt in Thailand.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Fictional event? Theres proof that it happened, such as all the witnesses???

Its not really funny either. If the people are re-enacting the crucifiction, they should do it safely.

Twitter | @Insevin

Its not really funny either. If the people are re-enacting the crucifiction, they should do it safely.

How one can reenact crucifixion safely? :):lol: :lol:

How one can reenact crucifixion safely? :):lol: :lol:

Like this? :)

_brick05_crucifixion.jpg

-Hurlshot

DN, you're honestly doubting all the numerous evidence pointing towards crucifixation of Jesus? Numerous eye witness accounts (most of them are found from Bible) as those of non-Christian sources such like jewish and roman historians? Et cetera et cetera

Not to mention inveting such occurence makes no sense. Christian movement became nearly immeaditly after Easter. And it began in Jerusalem. Say, you're Christian who is going on about Jesus:

- "Jesus, the Son of God has risen from death after you crusified him month ago!"

- "lol, I can't remember death of such an remarkable and famous religional figure that was killed about moth ago right here. I also by all means should've witnessed whole thing or at least heard about it. It looks like you made this whole crucifixation thing up, but I believe anyways. Praise Jebus!"

- "Let's hug my brother and let's go spread the Word to all the other people that witnessed whole thing but can't remember anything! Like you, they'll believe us!"

You can argue about truthfullness of rising from death but arguing against crucifixation of Jesus is imbecile and idiotic

Edited by Xard

The Bible is not infallible, nor have I seen Jesus specifically named in any other contemporary accounts. If you can provide me some names or people and documents, I will look into it - I'm open to evidence as long as it is reliable.

-Hurlshot

Hmh, you missed my edit

Not to mention inveting such occurence makes no sense. Christian movement became nearly immeaditly after Easter. And it began in Jerusalem. Say, you're Christian who is going on about Jesus:

- "Jesus, the Son of God has risen from death after you crusified him month ago!"

- "lol, I can't remember death of such an remarkable and famous religional figure that was killed about moth ago right here. I also by all means should've witnessed whole thing or at least heard about it. It looks like you made this whole crucifixation thing up, but I believe anyways. Praise Jebus!"

- "Let's hug my brother and let's go spread the Word to all the other people that witnessed whole thing but can't remember anything! Like you, they'll believe us!"

I can dig up names tomorow

It may surprise you to know this, but people were actually tortured in this fashion in history. Even among atheists, it's generally accepted that this happened.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It may surprise you to know this, but people were actually tortured in this fashion in history.

I know that, even if the specifics of how they were affixed to the cross is different than what is portrayed by most churches. I was talking about that particular incident with that particular person.

-Hurlshot