China geopolitics

Walsingham

Erm, I hate your cultural views and i'm from a western country, why wouldn't someone from China?

EDIT: Don't take this personally, it's just somthing to think about.

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

*sigh* I wouldn't have liked the Nazi regime either. It has nothing to do with different cultures, its distasteful regimes we're talking about. The U.S. is "distasteful" in its own way as well, so I suppose its a matter of perspective on whether or not you like a culture.

Twitter | @Insevin

Mind you I'm using the Nazis for comparison very broadly. I don't mean Chinese are Nazis. I'd call a Japanese a Nazi before that (for their collaboration) and I haven't even gone there.

And I won't. I'm glad for my video games! Yay!!

Edited by walkerguy

Twitter | @Insevin

That's the point, i'm not talking about regimes, I don't like the PRC either, i'm talking about attitudes towards foreign cultures.

What gives you that idea*? My post in that Eddo thread??

* of me being "one sided"

Twitter | @Insevin

Being a Chinese immigrant living in the United States, I am completely baffled by the US media's portrayal of China as an imminent threat. Trust me, if a war does break out between China and anyone, China is going to get its ass kicked, period. Throughout history, we have been besieged by neighboring tribal people and had to build a freaking five-thousand-mile long wall just to keep people out. You think our ancestors had any ambition of conquering anyone? In more recent history, we first were defeated by the

Edited by julianw

Walsingham: "Ooooh! A post by julianw!"

:sorcerer:

I was wondering when you'd weigh in. Good to see you.

I buy your latter argument about a different culture up to a point. However:

1) My reading of them is that they also deeply resent and fear US global hegemony. If for no other reason than it directly threatens things like Taiwan, and the offshore oil they want their mitts on.

2) I don't think you are giving China nearly enough credit for the astounding leaps forward it has made in the last thirty years. This is partly in industry, but far more importantly in academia, and military science. 30 years ago the Chinese military was still thinking Korea. Today they're drawing level and even forging ahead of the West in many areas.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Wow. You just stabbed yourself (if you know what I mean).

I see it as 'China is always militarily active and always is doing something militarily (such as Great Wall or current Tibet)'

Seeing it as "Ah no! They kick our ass" sheds better light on the matter.

One of the reasons I'm so against China is because I've recently been studying Japan intensely. You know.

Twitter | @Insevin

I'm not sure being against China is very helpful. China's not a moth to be shoved out a window. It's not going away. Sooner or later we have to get along.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Sooner or Later.

*all becomes silent*

"Beam me up, Scotty, I'm going to talk to the Chinese delegation..."

What?

-Elwood Blues

I will get along with the Chinese government when they give their people basic human rights, Walsh, and not a moment sooner.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

You've been studying Japan? You mean in Japan? Or the Japanese language? Or its culture?

My limited exposure to Japanese political history is not exactly a positive one. I'm not sure where you would pick up a dislike of China from it, unless you buy into extreme Japanese right-wing ideology (and they make some very ludicrous claims).

There are doors

@Walsh (is that your nick?): A thread about my native country is just too much to resist... :sorcerer: China certainly represents a great competition to US or any other nation in many areas. I just want to get the point across that not only the Chinese people are a peace-loving nation, we also suck at war. :sorcerer:

@Walkerguy: Yes. China has always been active militarily. Actively being invaded all the time hence the fear of foreign powers and the urge for isolation and self-preservation. Imo, China should never be leader of all nations even if we grow stronger than the US. Simply put, we just wouldn't care enough to be a good leader. We are the quiet kid in the class only concerned about his own grades and never participate in class activities. Even though we are a member of the UN's security coucil, we are always the relatively quiet one. We forfeit our votes on key issues and only does small talk all the time. We strongly condemned US for its involvement in Kosovo and got our embassy bombed (I don't know if it's accidental or on purpose) but a wave of news editorials blamed it on the Communist government overstepping the boundary and getting itself tangled up the world affairs not related to us.

Ever since the border conflict with Vietnam, China has never sent one soldier to foreign territory. Compare that to how active US, UK, Japan and even Iceland (which sent one soldier to Iraq) are doing militarily.

Please also elaborate on how the study of Japan could lead you to be against China. There is mongering fear between Japan and China which is true but it's the result of the Japanese invasion and occupation. China and Japan had a much longer history of peace and exchange. We are closely related in culture, language and religion and enjoyed many centuries of mutual love and respect. Even after the horrible war between us, there are still many that are working hard to rebuild that relationship. Sure there had been bumps on that road but China had showed only less hostility in that regard than

South Korea and other Asian countries. Remember South Korea even kicked the Japanese emissaries out of their country once in protest of Japan's new edition of history books and China only sent students to protest in the streets.

Edited by julianw

I think it would be silly to send the best athletes of my country into a hostile country.

So you`re saying you`d have them participate only in competitions on domestic soil?

I kid, I kid. :sorcerer:

And China doesn`t need to be brilliant at war tbh. If China ever gets hell bent on world domination they`ll just drop all their USD in circulation killing it off in the process heh...

But seriously, some of you are way to paranoid about just about everything. Christ, not everyone is out to get america heh... but most do want to just be left allone. :sorcerer:

^If China is gonna dominate the world, that's not how we gonna do it. We are simply gonna marry our sons and daughters to you guys and outproduce everyone genetically. We defeated all the minority tribes this way and have gotten quite good at it. (Marrying foreigners is very popular in China these days.)