China geopolitics

Walsingham

http://www.sinodefence.com/navy/surface/aircraft_carrier.asp

The sneaky sobs are acquiring a carrier by the laughably simple ruse of saying "What THIS ex-Russian aircraft carrier? Why no, we intend to build a war-themed amusement park."

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I remember this - I think I was in Japan at the time of the sale. Of course, a few people suspected something was going on, but at that time the story focused not on what the Chinese were going to do with the thing, but on how rundown and cash-starved the Russian military was that they needed to sell it.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

aircraft_carrier_05large.jpg

The following contains a walkerguy rant - Viewer discretion advised

What does China need a navy for? To fight or threaten whom? They should of kept as an amusement park. But no, its got to be for training now. Next they'll decide they want to put some nukes onboard and sail for Hawaii... you know, surfing with Jason Mamoa. Ex-soviet. Phaw. *spits*

Twitter | @Insevin

What does China need a navy for? To fight or threaten whom? They should of kept as an amusement park. But no, its got to be for training now. Next they'll decide they want to put some nukes onboard and sail for Hawaii... you know, surfing with Jason Mamoa. Ex-soviet. Phaw. *spits*

A navy can be used to defend your interests, just saying.

To attack Taiwan, of course.

I don't know if you're just baiting Walkerguy, but they most likely wont need to.

Edited by Moatilliatta
sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

No baiting, I assure you, just answering the question. China has said openly it will attack Taiwan should the island pursue formal independence - I believe it even has a law requiring it to.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

aircraft_carrier_05large.jpg

The following contains a walkerguy rant - Viewer discretion advised

Points for using the word 'pshaw'.

They do need a navy, though, for two reasons:

1. General muscle flexing on the beach.

2. Securing the transport lanes for oil coming from abroad.

3.* invading Taiwan if it 'tries to secede'**

*3! Our 3 main reasons are...

** You know, like more than usual.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Phaw in the fact its ex-Soviet.

Sounds like the soviet bit is just the hull. All teh electronics and power will be Chinese.

-Elwood Blues

A new chinese fighter would be nice, russia and the US havn't been doing anything on that front recently.

Check out the new j-10. They've got more fighters than we've got missiles.

-Elwood Blues

The chinese have been running highly efficent workshops for more than 2000 years, as can be seen by the detailed records imprinted on each piece of each statue of the Terracotta Army.

You guys are just getting exactly what you're paying for.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Check out the new j-10. They've got more fighters than we've got missiles.

Hey, nice, I didn't realise they'd pushed them out already. Multirole based on the delta-wing design? I like.

Hadescopy.jpg

Strange though, they've mounted it with twin machineguns, that's pretty unusual in modern fighters.

The only other one that I can think of that does in its primary variant (off the top of my head) is the Panavia Tornado, and that's a ground attack aircraft.

Edited by Nick_i_am

Hadescopy.jpg

Strange though, they've mounted it with twin machineguns, that's pretty unusual in modern fighters.

The only other one that I can think of that does in its primary variant (off the top of my head) is the Panavia Tornado, and that's a ground attack aircraft.

Maybe a lack of a good 20/30mm cannon? Improved reliability? Or more possibly it confused the fly-by-wire.

-Elwood Blues

No baiting, I assure you, just answering the question. China has said openly it will attack Taiwan should the island pursue formal independence - I believe it even has a law requiring it to.

Yes, but I doubt that they would actually do it as anything but a last resort, and I highly doubt that Taiwan would be willing to drive China towards that. The only likely wars involving China and Taiwan will be in the awesome games that game developers still haven't made involving China, Taiwan and the USA (it could replace WW2 as the primary game-war).

So unless I'm very wrong about China's mentality then it won't be for attacking Taiwan but to keep other great powers from interfering.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Maybe a lack of a good 20/30mm cannon? Improved reliability? Or more possibly it confused the fly-by-wire.

Yeah, there must be a good reason, I just find it odd that they're adding extra weight for a weapon that is pretty much mostly for show.

Hadescopy.jpg

Twas to be expected really... China has long been looking to set up some carrier groups. So will Russia, as their respective situations enable it imho. Tis a logical step forward in catching up with US really...

I actually support. Confucius says: balance is key. ;P

Edited by Brdavs

Yeah, there must be a good reason, I just find it odd that they're adding extra weight for a weapon that is pretty much mostly for show.

That depends how you look at air combat. The Chinese may well feel that if their AAMs are not abl to engage US aircraft in the face of ECM and so on, that whonking things with a cannon is pretty smart. That delta tail should make the turning circle superior to an F-14/F-16. Or rather, I'd imagine it would.

It's also entirely possible that someone at NORINCO is just an old fart and wanted twin guns. Let's not forget that however smart they are they are pretty corrupt and muddled management wise.

Also, Steve is quite correct, as of earlier this year China is legally obliged to declare war if Taiwan asserts independence. Indeed, it may not have to declare it. I think it automatically goes into effect. My own feeling is that China will try to bully Taiwan into rescinding all hope of independence, by threat of force. However, depending on the USA and how jaunty tehir pilots are feeling they may execute landings. All the USA has available at short notice is one carrier group (www.globalsecurity.org).

-Elwood Blues

China's strategy towards Taiwan is a sticks-and-carrots approach. Military blockade and/or invasion represent the sticks, and economic opportunities, along with the "one nation two systems" precedent set for HK, represent the carrots. It's all a geopolitical game.

The carrier group isn't just for Taiwan, though. Any nation that wants to have any sort of power projection whatsoever needs a navy. At least until we develop space ships.

There are doors