What Grinds your Gears?

BIOShazard

Why not bike to school? Sure you'll look lame but I mean its better than the stale urine aroma of buses. Or maybe that's only in America but then again I've never once stepped on a regular street fairing public transportation bus in my life so that could just be a poor mans wives's tale.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Anyhow, another thing that bugs me: Tourists in the Metro during rush hour. It's getting to be that time of the year when the DC Metro (subway) is mobbed by tourists. Nothing wrong with that-- it's a great way to get around the city if you don't mind a longish walk to some of the big attractions. But there's no reason why they have to be on the Metro during rush hour. Especially at the transfer stations like Metro Center (which I go through twice a day), you often see crowds of tourists step off of a train or escalator, then immediately stand perfectly still, blocking all the people behind them, because they don't know which way to go next.

Perhaps you need bigger, more noticeable signs? You could buy them with all the money the tourists spend on the Metro.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Anyhow, another thing that bugs me: Tourists in the Metro during rush hour. It's getting to be that time of the year when the DC Metro (subway) is mobbed by tourists. Nothing wrong with that-- it's a great way to get around the city if you don't mind a longish walk to some of the big attractions. But there's no reason why they have to be on the Metro during rush hour. Especially at the transfer stations like Metro Center (which I go through twice a day), you often see crowds of tourists step off of a train or escalator, then immediately stand perfectly still, blocking all the people behind them, because they don't know which way to go next.

Perhaps you need bigger, more noticeable signs? You could buy them with all the money the tourists spend on the Metro.

The problem, as I see it, is that the trains are called by their line (a color) and their eventual destination (the last spot on the line). This is profoundly unhelpful for people unfamiliar with the area-- seeing that a train is going to "Largo" or "Franconia-Springfield" doesn't really help people figure out if it's going to get them to the Smithsonian or the Capitol Building.

Oh, and even more irritating than normal tourist traffic? NCAA Basketball tourist traffic. I took the walk to Metro Center today to cut out the transfer on my commute. The area around the Verizon Center (which is presently hosting the Belmont-Duke game) was absolutely mobbed with hoops fans. The scalpers were entertaining, though.

Why not bike to school? Sure you'll look lame but I mean its better than the stale urine aroma of buses. Or maybe that's only in America but then again I've never once stepped on a regular street fairing public transportation bus in my life so that could just be a poor mans wives's tale.

First, I have to take a 45 minute train ride, then a 15 minute bus-ride. Getting up at 6 am. So yeah, biking that to and fro every day is not something I'd dig.

Our busses are darned clean though. The schedules are just ****ed up.