BREAKING NEWS: THE NEW NEXT-GEN RPG STANDARD ANNOUNCED

Llyranor

Have you ever wished you were able to mimic the faces of Summer Glau, Christina Ricci, Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Willis, Jennifer Garner, George Takei (when he was younger), and something of a close approximation of Lucy Lu when playing outdated substandard RPGs?? What about a nice looking asian goth?

Look no further, the next-generation of RPGs has arrived.

But don't just believe the PR, listen to the players!

Testimonial:

Through the facial customization of [the new standard for CRPGs] I have been able to mimic the faces of Summer Glau, Christina Ricci, Samuel L. Jackson, Bruce Willis, Jennifer Garner, George Takei (when he was younger), and something of a close approximation of Lucy Lu. I even made a nice looking asian goth for one game. Goth vs. Geth! Man, I wish I was able to take pics.

I have yet been able to make a good Conan O'Brien or Nathan Fillion as of yet.

You know I think that [the new standard for CRPGs] is the new standard for CRPGs for me. I think I like it more than Fallout.

RIP FO3

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Guest The Architect

No, I'm afraid only the expertise of Hades can make those faces. Impeccable use of logic and shooting home invaders aren't his only talents.

Llyr, why do you always have to be an ass and it there is no expertise about it. If you actually go to the Bioware forums there are a series of threads detailing how to recreate celebrity faces in Mass Effect. Try growing up a little. o:)

For those who can't do a simple search this is the latest thread on the subject with links to previous threads:

http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/viewt...0&forum=104

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

I want my furry agents Obsidian

WHERE ARE MY FURSUITS OE?

How can it be a no ob build. It has PROVEN effective. I dare you to show your builds and I will tear you apart in an arugment about how these builds will won them.

- OverPowered Godzilla (OPG)

I don't get it. I'm tired and hungry.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

With todays technology, the only contraint is how much time and effort the top dogs are prepared to spend on building such a system and making all the art assets you need. Doing something like Mass Effects face editor is no small feat.

At it's basic level it's a matter of offsetting a vertices position from it's original mesh vertex position, hardly a huge feat, but not entirely easy either, depends upon the constraints. A prototype system shouldn't take more than a week, but an integrated system that doesn't screw up any of external effects placed upon said vertices is a whole other ball game, it does have some really horrible potential knock on impacts, frankly its the kind of thing you'd start working on in conjunction with any said animation engine, and if the animation engine was already built then it is questionable about any ease of compatibility, at that stage it depends upon already integrated capibilities.

The system alone is fairly basic.

That's just the thing, it's only simple in theory. Setting up morph targets and such is fine, but then comes problems such as the need for all faces to have the exact same number of vertices and making sure the morphing doesnt screw up your UV's. Add to that the whole dimension of facial animation with facial bones, morphtarget expressions and nifty normalmaps that pop up to make wrinkles, and you've got yourself a ****load of work.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Unfortunately, this thread turns out just to be flamebait. I think there's a valid discussion to be had, and if forum members wish they're free to create a new thread, but in a respectful manner, please.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)