Resistance: Fall of Man 2

walkerguy

Indeed, it looks very exciting. I just hope they balance out the encounters some more. The original seemed cheap sometimes. However much I love it, it was frustrating to feel that the only way to win a level was by luck or trial and error.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

resistance-2-20080126000730300.jpg

Augh, I like it. I know I'm waiting for Gears 2, PS3 must be more than thrilled about their own counterpart.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

That looks awesome. Plus Killzone 2, the PS3 is starting to stand a chance.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I refuse to believe several of those shots. There's another one, very much like that, except it features two of those walkers, and planes flying in the background. You will not convince me that those planes are not painted on there. Which causes me to be highly suspect of the rest of the image.

Edited by Tale

This game needs a in-game video. As Tale said, those screens look to polished.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Indeed, it looks very exciting. I just hope they balance out the encounters some more. The original seemed cheap sometimes. However much I love it, it was frustrating to feel that the only way to win a level was by luck or trial and error.

Wait, this game has coop, don't you hate it?

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Wait, this game has coop, don't you hate it?

I think you misunderstood one of my previous posts.

I see angry faces in heavy gears, I see big guns

w-hat?

Next you'll be saying you saw big black men.

"I've just got to find some way to shoehorn fighting aliens in the 1950s into a generic macho shooter."

Edited by Tale

W-hat are you saying?

I'm saying that if you're going to generalize something, try and generalize it right.

Resistance is not the greatest fount of originality, but it's not burdened by the overuse of large, angry enemies with big guns. The descriptors don't match up. Unless you're looking for a game where the enemies are midgets in swimwear.

Edited by Tale

:lol: Midgets in swimwear! I think it was an excellent idea to have an alien shooter based not in the future* or even modern-day, but in the past.

* Star Wars included, despite the whole a "long time ago..." stuff, you've got to concede that its a futuristic franchise

Twitter | @Insevin

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.gameinformer.com/Games/Review/2....1731.25750.htm

logo_game_lg.gif

A PLAYSTATION 3 ESSENTIAL

Score: 9.5

CONCEPT:

Aliens invade before World War II, which changes the course of history and mankind

GRAPHICS:

Not only does this game look fantastic, it has perhaps the most on-screen action I have ever seen in a first-person shooter

SOUND:

The soundtrack is good enough to make most Hollywood movies pale in comparison.

PLAYABILITY:

Nothing terribly new in the gameplay department, but it does it all well

ENTERTAINMENT:

The story doesn

Edited by walkerguy

Twitter | @Insevin

• 7 months later...

I'm in the beta.

8p co-op is fantastic.

It's not like your usual co-op mode, instead implementing various class-based PvP elements to it. Only, instead of fighting another team, you're fighting massive legions of AI.

IIRC, there are 6 maps, based on the PvP maps. They're semi-randomized. Each map has a bunch of zones, and every mission you're being sent to different zones, so this should have some good replayability.

There are 3 classes.

-Soldier - big gun, and a secondary fire summons a shield which allies can hide behind.

-Medic - attack beam to absorb enemy hp and refill your secondary fire ammo. Secondary fire is a wide area blast which heals allies but not you. It's a good balance between having to shoot enemies to replenish your secondary fire, and trying to keep your time alive (you can also revive dead allies by going next to them and pressing a button, though anyone can do this).

-SpecialOps - Don't know the details, but this is your ammo guy. Keeps allied guns running, and replenishes shields as well, I think

It's a good balance. You need your soldiers to actually deal good damage and to absorb shots with the shield, your medics to keep people alive, and your SpecOps to keep the war machine going, pushing forward slowly on and on, as you're advancing your shield. Deploying shield near corpses so someone can get near to revive, fending off attacks from multiple flanks. You really get overwhelmed. Didn't get the party wiped out yet, but there's been some instances where more than half the team was dead. Good fun.

(re: Nick, medic feels a lot like the monk in GW in terms of awesomeness/keeping the team alive - only, without GW crap)

Hadescopy.jpg

Looks fun.

But those explosions are pathetic.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Multiplayer sounds more thought out than i expected. Triple 'A' i am confirmed?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

No one gives a crap about the explosions.

I sure as hell do.

Blurry blasts of yellow just won't do. Not when the rest of the game is so damn good looking.

At least the playstation is actually getting shooters this time around.

More impressions about the other co-op classes that I'm too lazy to compile into paragraphs:

Llyranor says:

spec ops and soldier are awesome

Llyranor says:

spec ops is also a sniper

Llyranor says:

you feel a bit redundant, since you're just shooting and giving ammo

Llyranor says:

i mean, it feels 'pointless' until you play a soldier and realize how crucial you are

Llyranor says:

as a soldier, your ammo/shield depletes in SECONDS

Llyranor says:

you constantly need ammo supplies

Llyranor says:

yeah, the balance is really well done

Nick says:

nice, that's perfect

Nick says:

so we need AT LEAST 3 players

Llyranor says:

at least

Nick says:

and non-balanced classes = death

Llyranor says:

I'm never playing this with less than 8p

Llyranor says:

you don't need to know the others

Nick says:

so it's literally PuG GW

Nick says:

only, not GW

Llyranor says:

as a medic, i had to constantly shoot at enemies and waste time to replenish my healgun

Llyranor says:

whereas if i had a competent spec ops, i could focus more on healing

Llyranor says:

the spec ops is really important

Llyranor says:

as a soldier, you're a tank soaking up buttloads of damage and dealing it back

Nick says:

ah, right, specs can charge the healing crap too, I see what you mean

Llyranor says:

but left on your own for a few seconds, and you're virtually defenseless

Llyranor says:

and the shield is awesome, building defensive flanks from various positions, creating opening spots for medics to revive, or specs to snipe, blocking doorways, good stuff

Llyranor says:

i'm really happy with the gameplay

Llyranor says:

the only real complaint i'd have is that some bosses are just soakboxes

Llyranor says:

they just stand there while the team surrounds and shoots it

Llyranor says:

not much challenge

Llyranor says:

the rest of the game is a good challenge, though

Hadescopy.jpg

I must say it looks surprisingly good for a straight-on FPS.

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/41596.html

Very varied, cinematic and action-packed. And none of those huge-bodies-with-tiny-heads characters from Gears of War! I'm mildly impressed.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!