A game I'd like to see

Humodour

I'd like to see another game which deals with the main character being dead, but for some reason still on this earth. The game would focus things like how the undead person gets by in a world dominated by the living; physiology of an undead person compared to humans; a philosophical approach to some common day problems from the perspective of the dead; interaction with the world of the living - making friends, relationships, etc and whether or not such stuff is allowed; keeping hidden from society - staying on the fringes, having a day job (probably not the main char eh?); undead groups, societies and organisations; moral ambiguity (please, no blatant undead evil, humans good dichotomy); the divine/spiritual mechanisms behind death, dying and the afterlife; common myths and legends regarding death (e.g. death, the reaper, afterlife, god, the scythe, souls, ghosts, and maybe things like zombies and vampires)...

I'm thinking a sort of mix between Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and the TV series Dead Like Me (a show about grim reapers).

Don't get me wrong, I thought Bloodlines tackled things really well, but I'd like more of that... and there is certainly room for improvement, especially with a new IP.

I actually own the game you're looking for. It didn't rate too well, but don't let those false prophets at Gamespot make up your mind for you.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Thread pruned a bit. Lets try again from the "Serious response welcome" part :thumbsup:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...
After re-watching some of Dead Like Me, I agree that the premise could make for an interesting RPG - albeit one that could be low on action and high on diolog and "everyday" tasks.

Well I can easily see how one could alter it for sufficient action.

Llyranor: Strongly suggest you watch it. Excellent, quirky show! It's starting up again I think (there will be a movie at least).

Tale: Haha. I was thinking something that didn't involve building an undead army to kill humans and take over the world.

Sorry Krezack, no matter how hard I try to wrap my brain(s!...) around the concept, I run into an image of Grim Fandango and my line of thought doesn't get any further. Time to do some "Free your mind" exercises :bat:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

How fortunate then that I've never played Grim Fandango, because my PC was unable to run it when it came out. I'm still not inspired enough though, to think more than: this could be a fun game, probably spiced up with a bit Terry Pratchett here and Nightmare Before Christmas there... Keeping the balance between fun and philosophy could prove difficult, but could be key for such a game's success (and for its rating by me :bat:)

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I'd prefer something closer to Grim Fandango than a new Bloodlines. You did mention Dead Like Me and it seems the closer of the two. It's a more interesting afterlife instead of just being Vampire fantasy. I like my dead people to have normal problems in addition to having to hide the fact that they're dead. But I also prefer comedy.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'd prefer something closer to Grim Fandango than a new Bloodlines. You did mention Dead Like Me and it seems the closer of the two. It's a more interesting afterlife instead of just being Vampire fantasy. I like my dead people to have normal problems in addition to having to hide the fact that they're dead. But I also prefer comedy.

I agree, but I mentioned Bloodlines for the action elements - so people could conceptualise how you could tie action/combat into such a game.

Because I like action. :grin: