Gotta love stupid cops

Sand

I think it's only fair to point out that under English law, Nick and I are only allowed to shoot Welshmen and natives.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I think a lot of people (Tarna) have been distracted away from what the argument was, and my point, which was that the cops shouldn't be soley to blaim in this case, as Hades was saying.

Then you are artificially limiting the argument to the point that it is irrelevant.

To you it might have been irrelevant, but it would help me see what you meant when you said a kid deserved death for breaking into your home.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

I think it's only fair to point out that under English law, Nick and I are only allowed to shoot Welshmen and natives.

I think it's only fair to point out that until rather recently, even in Texas you could only shoot intruders if another person in your situation could not reasonably escape.

It's called Duty-To-Retreat, and while it's been removed from Texas, it still is in effect for nearly half the other states. The contrary is called Stand-Your-Ground and Sand's home state of Illinois has such a law.

Or does he live in Iowa? If so, he's plain fudgered.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I was under the impression that, in the whole of the US, if someone broke into your home you're legally allowed to shoot them.

Is this the essense of the 'stand-your-ground' thing?

That's the essence of the stand-your-ground, but it's not the whole of the US. If Wikipedia is accurate, it's 26 states, which is just over half. In contrast, some states have duty-to-retreat which requires you to either reasonably attempt to escape or announce intent to use deadly force. Again, up until the beginning of September, Texas had Duty-To-Retreat. Edited by Tale

So 'stop or I shoot', followed by the guy trying to run off with your stuff before getting a new hole in his noggin' would be legal?

I'm not clear on the question.

If you're asking if announcing gives you the right to shoot indiscriminately, then no that would not be legal.

If you're asking if announcing gives the right to shoot to prevent robbery, then it can vary by state. As I said about Duty-To-Retreat, in some cases (maybe all), you have to be unable to retreat. So, shooting someone who is leaving is a big nono.

If you're asking if announcing a threat to scare off an intruder is legal on its own, well duh.

The point of Stand-Your-Ground laws is that it is believed a person who is under threat of potential harm should not have to worry about getting arrested should they decide to defend themselves. They may not be in the right state to validly judge whether retreat is an option. At least that's how it is in Texas, as stated by the man who proposed the change in law.

Edited by Tale

Yeah, the second one, him actually trying to run off with your stuff, rather than dropping it and running off.

Even in spite of Stand-Your-Ground laws, I imagine most states do not give a civilian the right to kill to prevent robbery, but to prevent harm (even if only perceived) to yourself or other persons. I'm not sure how it works with armed security, such as at banks however.

• 1 month later...

Hey, more stupid cops!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23144420

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Yes, yes it is. I hope they all get fired, especially that woman.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

• 3 months later...

Stupid cops around the world! This one is from Wlash's (if memory serves) part of the world: http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/05/26/swa...t-crazed-gunman

I don't see how that's stupid. The cops get a call telling them about someone with a gun, and they mistake a lifesized model of someone holding a gun for someone with a gun.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I don't see how that's stupid. The cops get a call telling them about someone with a gun, and they mistake a lifesized model of someone holding a gun for someone with a gun.

The stupidness is not how the mistake Lara as a perp with a gun, but arresting the guy for over it.

The stupidness is not how the mistake Lara as a perp with a gun, but arresting the guy for over it.

Gotta love stupid moderators.

-Elwood Blues

Gotta love stupid moderators.

:lol:

For his part, Williams was arrested, held for 13 hours, and charged with a firearms offense. The newspaper account doesn't explain whether the charge stemmed from Lara's fake gun or something else the police may have found in the home. The Lara Croft figure was confiscated as evidence.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

For his part, Williams was arrested, held for 13 hours, and charged with a firearms offense. The newspaper account doesn't explain whether the charge stemmed from Lara's fake gun or something else the police may have found in the home. The Lara Croft figure was confiscated as evidence.

rawr.