Modding

The Owner

It usually takes some applicable background to do modding. Either that or to find a game that has mod tools included (KOTOR would not be such a game). But, for even then you should at least have some coding or scripting background. Or even 3D modelling background if all you're looking to do is reskin or remodel.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'd also imagine it would be harder to mod a mac version than a PC version, but I don't know much about it. You might want to choose an easier project to begin your modding, specifically a game with a toolset that is more user friendly about mods. Perhaps you could try to mod NWN or Oblivion into a Star Wars type game.

The best website and forums for modding the KotOR games is at the Holowan Labs: http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.ph...amp;forumid=324

A very good bunch of people and modders I do have to say. They helped me when I did my stint at modifying KotOR, using their tools to adjust the 2da files that dictated experience gain.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Perhaps you could try to mod NWN or Oblivion into a Star Wars type game.

Both of those games have had numerous total conversion attempts, and all of them have ended in shambles. I would recommend that the original poster learn how to mod regular NWN or Morrowind games before starting on harder games like Oblivion.

Edit: Mac editing is harder...

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Would you guys say that Neverwinter Nights is the easiest game to learn modding on if you're an absolute beginner, or is there something easier?

Whichever game you choose, The Owner, there will always be a community out there with a forum with links to 'Modding for Beginners' documents specific to that game. Some of the NWN2 ones are really excellent and very helpful. :shifty:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Would you guys say that Neverwinter Nights is the easiest game to learn modding on if you're an absolute beginner, or is there something easier?

RPG Maker

You still need an understanding of C syntax to do anything more complicated in Neverwinter Nights than create an area and connect doors. RPG Maker? You don't need jack.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

You still need an understanding of C syntax to do anything more complicated in Neverwinter Nights than create an area and connect doors.

Tell me about it. :shifty: Yes, that's been by far the hardest part for me. Fun too, though. 8) Neverwinter Nights also has the advantage of a very large modding community on hand to answer your questions and generally help you along - I'm sure it's not alone in this, of course...

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

You still need an understanding of C syntax to do anything more complicated in Neverwinter Nights than create an area and connect doors. RPG Maker? You don't need jack.

There are many places to get code, or generate it, including some that are included in the editor, so it's really not as complicated as you're making it out to be... :shifty:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Try something simple (warcraft 3 TFT) first, then if you managed to be any decent in any of the areas (modelling, skinning, JASS, Terraining) then you should be ready to move on.

Wc3 is just about the easiest game to mod. No need for spreadsheets and the like and the tools have been there for a long time.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Modability depends upon the engine architecture, if it data driven then it can be modded with ease. Most good engines are data driven, and make use of scripts to do this. More advanced engines will have an entire language developed for scripting, this is what bioware did with NWN's, but the numpties decided to write their own parser which gave them a crap load of headaches.

As long as a model exists within the correct format, changing a model in a program is a matter of subbing one file for another. It's intuitive like that, usually you have another file controlling referances to such objects and thus they all slot togeather nicely.

NWN's 1 + 2 actually go alot further than this, making themselves extremely transparent and thus very easy to mod, the sad fact is that the program in general performs like a deformed badger, not so deformed that you can't tell its a badger but still, a damn badger. While it's performance has always concerned me the truth of the matter is that most Bioware and all Obsidian games have been based on this similar engine arcitecture, NWN's and KOTOR really aren't that far apart, no more so than say BG and IWD, not the same version of the engine, but similar.

Although basic modding is easier on other engine platforms than NWN's, such as Source SDK, and Unreal Editor, allowing you to basically build upto more complicated stuff while still producing something useful such as a level, if you're a 3D artist then XSI's mod tool integrates nicely with the source SDK, which if you ask me is all more straight forwards than NWN's stuff, not that that's hard but there is a more numpty friendly attitude.

Personally I have no interest in modding myself, I frankly find it to be too dull, and too abstracted from the core code implementation, it also makes me feel somewhat like a girly designer :lol::* .

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

The only modding I have done is with the Baldur's Gate games which I find easier compared to the NWN games. Never tried the Kotor games.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester