Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Upcoming Hardware

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
Much better, but not quite there yet:

http://www.anandtech...aspx?i=3151&p=1

At least it gives me hope we'll see a competitive high-end product from ATI in the first months of next year.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
OK, ATI may have a winner on their hands after all!

"The Sapphire HD 3780 is by far the best video card that I have ever tested by ATi."

Source: http://www.overclock...pphire_hd_3870/

It's better than the 8800 GTS 640MB at higher resolutions and it costs HALF of that card!

I would get TWO HD 3870 for the same price I paid for my aging X1950XTX! Pretty sweet.

Sand

Sand

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3735 posts
NVidia always had the better tech, but ATI always seems to have more stable drivers. With the release of the X3870 I am seriously rethinking my desire to get a 8800GT. The only drawback witht he new ATI card is that it is still takes two slots withthe 8800GT takes up one.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts
Honestly, from the reviews and benchmarks a lot of these cards sound nice. BUT I want to play Unreal 3 max'd out. I want to play all the games that are out now, and i want there engines to be good use on my computer. With the graphic card benchies I've seen, i can only get good benches, not F'n great. I'll just wait till the new gen of graphic cards comes around. I have a 7900GTO, which is decent enough to play the games I already own.

Any news on DNForever?

Sand

Sand

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3735 posts
Yeah, it will be released after Battletoads 7 is out.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts
woAH, Forgot all about that game.... good times, good times :thumbsup:

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
The new high-end GPU's from both ATI and Nvidia aren't going to come out this side of Christmas though.

Gorth

Gorth

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 10654 posts
Looks like my poor old arthritis ridden PC has to survive for almost a full year still http://www.dailytech...article9823.htm

Maybe another 6 months on top of that to avoid the first production batches :sad:

Gorgon

Gorgon

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4764 posts
It says AMD already incorporates some of these features, so concievably an AMD based board would not be obsolete inside of 12 months.

Azure79

Azure79

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1550 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
When is the optimal time to buy a computer this year? :(

So my budget is nearing its completion but I keep hearing and reading about these new things coming up.

ARGH!

I'm just gonna bite the bullet and get one come end of March.

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts

When is the optimal time to buy a computer this year? :(

So my budget is nearing its completion but I keep hearing and reading about these new things coming up.

ARGH!

I'm just gonna bite the bullet and get one come end of March.

Go for it when the new 9800GT's come out at the end of next month That way you can get one of these or a dirt cheap 8800GT. As of now theres Mobos with 1600FSB support for future cpus coming out. Theres PCI-E 2.0 support for the newest mobos too that give double the bandwidth and double the power to the graphic cards. Make sure to get a strong PSU with the 8pin PCI-e Power connectors. Also a adequate case, I don't know how many times I've seen or heard of giant cards not fitting in a medium size case due to the harddrive cage.
If you get a motherboard with DDR2 Support (they have mobos that support DDR2 and 3) you can save a lot of money by getting DDR2!

Goodluck!

Edited by WITHTEETH, 11 February 2008 - 01:28 AM.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
I'm considering the Intel SkullTrail to be my next mobo, but It's got some lousy limitations such as lack of 3-way SLI support and support for slow FB-DIMM RAM ONLY. I also hear that it supports top of the line quads only. I'd most likely get a couple of lesser quads for an Octa-Core system.

http://www.firingsqu...age.asp/2261/04

WITHTEETH

WITHTEETH

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1039 posts
Whats the big benefit for the big bucks you pay for that Skull trail? I've only seen incremental performance boosts so far. With the extra money you could always buy a trip to Thailand. :teehee:

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yeah, and with the extra current used you could power a small office with 4 people with computers and a single cpu server... Anyway, you have to suffer if you want to be top of the line :)
(I never thought anyone would even consider to buy Intels showcase-thingie)

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
But dudes its Octa-Core

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
But dude, what application uses these eight cores? :wowey:

Azure79

Azure79

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1550 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Can I just buy your old computer when you build your new monster powerhouse machine Bok?

Deraldin

Deraldin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4033 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer

Can I just buy your old computer when you build your new monster powerhouse machine Bok?

No. It's mine.

samm

samm

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1167 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
The 9600GT, nVidias new mid-range card, is listed at price comparison sites in germany.
The prices however are more of a joke right now (about a week before they come out), being higher than the price of a 3870...

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
Holy crap, the 3870X2 really is gigantic:

Posted Image

People are complaining that it covers SATA ports and what not when installed..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users