Dead Space

Morgoth

I'm not expecting to see a proper, System Shock 2 style game, from any big publisher in the near future.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Doug Church and Randy Smith is working on Codename LMNO.

GS: So you said that you started development on LMNO first. When did that start?

NY: It started around 15 months ago.

GS: So how is this going to differ from other spy action games? It has some pretty familiar elements in it.

NY: Well, the real focus in the game is between the player and the non-player "partner." It's an action-adventure game that is set against the backdrop of a contemporary, epic story. It will show world-changing events through the eyes of a series of a very small number of people who are intimately connected. And that's really the profile of a lot of Steven's films. So that actually is a perfect construct for us to explore how we move people emotionally in games, and that's really the kind of challenge that we're going after.

But what we're thinking about is the non-player character is more of a peer. That will add a new level of complexity to the puzzles in the game. We think that's a very important relationship level to reach to connect emotionally to the character.

GS: Now you mention the "relationship" with the female character in LMNO. I've heard that her abilities will change as depending how the player treats her. That's led some people to refer to this as the "high-maintenance girlfriend game."

NY: [Laughs] No, no. It's not like having a high-maintenance girlfriend in the game. It's having a really capable partner. The things you experience in the game, both the way you play and the way it plays out, are extremely dependent on her.

Sounds different I guess. I'm happy that they finally get to make a spy game, I liked the concepts LGS had going on in their long-dead first person espionage game.

As for Dead Space, EA has a knack to assimilate the right-minded people into their corporate insaniquarium, like Westwood for instance, so I'll remain both sceptic and reasonably positive.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I avoid EA like the plague.

Unless it's Command & Conquer or something incredibly refreshing like Battlefield 2142. I guess I can no longer say I avoid them like the plague. So, I'll just stay tuned!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

There.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

EA has been working pretty hard to restore their reputation, they know that many gamers see them as milking franchises to death. I think in the next few years you will see them release some pretty unique titles in bid to return to being a relevant, top-notch publisher. They've said as much in quite a few interviews recently, and they definitely have the resources available.

I think I've heard that Spielberg wants to develop for the Wii.

I can't be excited. His involvement in a movie is a coin toss for whether I'll enjoy it or not.

Edited by Tale

EA is awesome. They're a company that I am guarnateed to buy multiple games of this each year , and be satsified with 99% of them. They're also the only company that I've probably bought 100 or more games from.

GO EA GO!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

• 2 weeks later...
Console only.

Aaaand.... I'm done.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I thought Bioshock was suppose to be the "new" System Shock. :ermm:

Instead of developers and publishers try to take something old and try to make it "new" why not just make something new? Let the old games be and just do something... I don't know... ORIGINAL!

I mean, where is the "new" Pong? That is far more over do than a "new" System Shock.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Instead of developers and publishers try to take something old and try to make it "new" why not just make something new? Let the old games be and just do something... I don't know... ORIGINAL!

Dead Space is a new original property. Nobody can deny though that it's premise is akin to System Shock, even though the devs claim their inspiration is mainly from Event Horizon and Pitch Black. Besides, it's from that Redwood whatever team, the team that was longly rumored to make a Shock3. They figured it would be better to turn it into a new game/franchise, to avoid the heat from the rabid Shock fans (look what Bethesda has to endure now). Because why reviving an unpopular franchise (sales wise) when you just can create a new one? They figured right. Anyway, I yearn for a well done Sci-Fi Horror-Survival game. Bioshock was great, but neither was it scary, nor Sci-Fi, so that doesn't count.

After Mass Effect and Alan Wake, this is #3 of console-only games I really really want to play. If that list goes up to 5 X360 exclusives, I'm gonna get a X360 for real.

You do have a point, Morgy. Rabid fans are good to avoid. If I can get an X Box360 Elite at or under $100 I will probably get the console, but I figure that these "exclusives" would probably make it to the PC before that happens.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I thought Bioshock was suppose to be the "new" System Shock. rolleyes.gif

I mean, where is the "new" Pong? That is far more over do than a "new" System Shock.

^ What a completely ridiculous argument.

Bioshock wasn't the new System Shock, anymore than Icewind Dale was the new Baldur's Gate, or Splinter Cell the new Metal Gear (or Thief), or Quake 4 the new Doom 3.

Is it really that hard to see why similar types/styles of games might be made? Perhaps you've heard of the word "genre"?

Edited by Hell Kitty

I don't see why you think Vista is a POS. I have been using Vista Home Premium since its release and it has been one of the most stable OSes I have used. Its not ME. And while XP was a bit more streamline when it comes to resources if you have a system that has good specs you shouldn't have any performance issues when using Vista. At least that is my experience with the OS.

They figured it would be better to turn it into a new game/franchise, to avoid the heat from the rabid Shock fans.

Unlikely. Bioshock gets heat from rabid SS2 fanboys for not being enough like it. I don't think rabid fanboys of any game make enough of a difference to publishers.

Do you give a sequel a number to bring back fans of the original game, risking turning away those who haven't the originals? What about using a new title or a subtitle instead in so to bring in new gamers while risking having old fans dismiss it as just a spin-off or a copy? I don't think there is any right answer when deciding to create a sequel or spin-off or new franchise.

If anything, I'd say that Bioshock has probably proven that a new SS2 style game can be a success, so EA have gone for a new franchise too rather than dragging out an old one.

Edited by Hell Kitty

Unlikely. Bioshock gets heat from rabid SS2 fanboys for not being enough like it. I don't think rabid fanboys of any game make enough of a difference to publishers.

Eidos and Blizzard both disagree (Deus Ex 3 that became Winback and Starcraft: Ghost). Though the Winback thing supposedly resulted from the poor performance of Deus Ex: Invisible War on the market. It (IW) was a good game, though! I blame the rabid fanboys.

Edited by Tale