What should I play next?

Tale

I find myself browsing my Amazon.com recommendation and wishlist a lot lately. So, I think I should find a new game to buy. And by new game, I mean old game. So, I come here to find a recommendation from you guys, hoping you'll recommend me something I may have missed or forgotten.

Things I'm considering:

System Shock 2, but $50 for a used copy with just a sleeve sounds a bit steep.

Arcanum, same as System Shock 2

Fallout 2, but I'm wary. I do massively prefer Baldur's Gate II to Fallout I if that helps shed light on my RP preferences. I think it's more a preference for interactions and story than for the mechanics in RPGs.

Katamari Damacy, but maybe it's just too wacky. Could it's popularity be gimmick based? Or is there something solid there.

Speak of your favorite games of past years. Say what you liked about them. I'm not going to bother mentioning more of what I've already played because I want this to be useful to others besides just me.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Fallout 2 would be a good choice because there is a lot of role playing opportunity but the easter eggs in that game are tiresome. Another oldie but a real goodie, especially if you liked BG2, is Planescape Torment. If you haven't played that it is definitely one to have.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Get back into WoW, your hours counter hasnt gone up in weeks.

That hour counter hasn't gone up since '05.

Maybe early '06.

Edited by Tale

Jagged Alliance 2.

Please expatiate.

Wait a minute... Are you telling me that used copies of Arcanum are selling for $50?! Oh, I am so selling that sucker. I even have the CD case and manual-- maybe I can even turn a profit! (I'd be the best thing I've gotten out of that game.)

Go for System Shock 2, you ninny. It's fantasticness in game form.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Katamari Damacy is actually a really cool game.

Details man, DETAILS!

System Shock 2 is awesome, and is listed as abandonware on a lot of sites including Home of the Underdogs.

http://www.the-underdogs.info/game.php?gameid=3924

Sadly, abandonware is not an actual legally recognized status.

What do you guys think about Icewind Dale II? I can get a boxed set of that.

Edited by Tale

If you liked IWD1 I would say it would be a good buy, but it is more combat driven and tactical than actual role playing, but what little role playing there is in the game it is decently done.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

IWD2 is pretty tiresome, unless you are just madly in love with IE combat and 3e rules.

I would spend $50 on a copy of SS2 in a minute; its one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

IWD2 is pretty tiresome, unless you are just madly in love with IE combat and 3e rules.

I would spend $50 on a copy of SS2 in a minute; its one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.

I notice it isn't on your top 5, though. :bat:

STALKER was awesome and all, but SS2 was better. And anyway, I should be the one to decide your personal preferences. :teehee:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I notice it isn't on your top 5, though. :bat:

STALKER was awesome and all, but SS2 was better. And anyway, I should be the one to decide your personal preferences. :teehee:

Its number 6.

Missed it by THAT much.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Here (in Europe that is) you can find a pack with Icewind Dale 1 (+exp) and Icewind Dale 2 for 15 euros. I picked it up (along with BG1+exp and BG2+exp pack, also for 15 euros) but never got around in playing ID1 more than half an hour (the game being too dungeon crawling and hard for me). But I have no idea if that thing exists in the US...

Edited by Istima Loke

I think therefore I am?

Could be!

Or is it really someone else

Who only thinks he's me?

System Shock 2 shall be mine in this case, then. But don't let stop the thread. I'm dying to know more recommendations.

System Shock 2 shall be mine in this case, then. But don't let stop the thread. I'm dying to know more recommendations.

ok but don't yell at me if you don't like it. :teehee:

the graphics are somewhat dated as it used the old Dark Engine and all.

I would spend that much money on it though.

I've actually already familiar with what it looks like, but thanks for the warning.

I've actually already familiar with what it looks like, but thanks for the warning.

The AI is quite good though as it uses the same engine as the Thief AI. You can bang on pipes with the crowbar and the zombies will come looking for you. Then you bash them in the head. IT'S ART!

edit: Its a wrench actually. But its art either way.

Edited by CrashGirl

Can't go wrong with Planescape Torment

Wait a minute... Are you telling me that used copies of Arcanum are selling for $50?! Oh, I am so selling that sucker. I even have the CD case and manual-- maybe I can even turn a profit! (I'd be the best thing I've gotten out of that game.)
I was looking to buy this game and.... $50 is about the cheapest I could find it. None of the local stores had. Edited by Kelverin

How much you willing to sell it to a fellow forumite for?