The Secret World

The only thing that you really need in an MMO is a well balanced world (in terms of grinding / monsters / loot / pointless walking) and tactical combat that encourages thoughtful co-operation.

Unfortunately, in most of them I've found that you run a marathon to get anywhere, hit the same button 30 times, then gain a miniscule plus to one of your seventy thousand abilities.

I'm playing through The Longest Journey at the moment and this makes me sad. Couldn't he make a third TLJ game instead?

No matter how cool the MMO's concept it or how great it looks it will still be ruined by one thing - people. It is pretty much impossible to have any atmosphere or story with retards jumping around and waving their katanas while going "lol n00bz" and whatnot. As with most MMOs these days it will probably sell reasonably well if they market it. After a month or so most of the people will go back to WoW and the game will be left to die with a few hundred thousand die-hard players.

Aren't we over the MMO craze already? How many more failures and money sinks do we need?

He could always make a new adventure game, he has the cred and community support to sell it and make money if he won't go budget crazy.

I'd rather see a real TLJ sequel instead these Dreamfall chapters. Zoe was a boring donkey, I liked the cheeky April more.

I have only played the Dreamfall demo, but I agree that April was awesome. Just the kind of character an adventure game needs: smart, cheeky, sarcastic and still likable, someone every player can associate with.(The voice actress helped a lot as well) The only problem was that the CG April looked atrocious, but that's just a drop in the sea of awesomeness that TLJ is(I'm about half-way through) .

Edited by Purkake

People still seem to believe that MMOs are about becoming the new WoW.

Also they're angry that they don't get the games that they want.

The problem is that the stock holders/investors are expecting them to be the new WoW. If they kept their budgets reasonable and followed the EVE model, they wouldn't be considered failures.

Of course I'm angry that I won't get another game that I want/would like, but I don't hate MMOs because of that. I dislike them for other reasons, some of which I mentioned one the previous page.

There are plenty of successful MMO's out there though, and I can't think of any that have come out stating they were going to be the next WoW. Heck, a few companies are turning a solid profit by offering a bunch of different MMO's. Turbine, SOE, and NCSoft are all moving along just fine in the supposed shadow of Blizzard.

Age of Conan is the only recent game that seems to have suffered from unrealistic expectations. And that game isn't dead, it was just terribly mismanaged.

People still seem to believe that MMOs are about becoming the new WoW.

Also they're angry that they don't get the games that they want.

The problem is that the stock holders/investors are expecting them to be the new WoW.

You've put a bug in their offices?

No, but look at this list of the most profitable MMOs from Rock Paper Shotgun dated March 24. There are two recent games there - Age of Conan and Lord of The Rings Online. How many big-name MMOs have there been that have bombed in the recent years? I can think of a few off the top of my head: Tabula Rasa, Auto Assault and Warhammer Online. I'm sure there have been many more.

EDIT: Whether or not the newer MMOs are trying to be the next WoW, the failure rate is very high for something that takes many millions of dollars to make. My point was that everyone who has the money is trying to make a MMO and get rich, but very few of them actually succeed.(most of the MMOs are scrapped somewhere in development) I'm not saying that The Secret World will fail, I was just making a general comment on the onslaught of big-name MMOs lately.

Edited by Purkake

Warhammer online bombed?

They recently cut the number of servers because there were no players, people on podcasts described them as "ghost towns". Wikipedia says:

As of December 31, 2008, the number of active WAR subscribers had decreased to "over 300K paying subscribers in North America and Europe."

Which is way less than AoC.

Edited by Purkake

Now show me why that will necessarily constitute 'bombing' by showing me that they can't keep the MMO up.

For your information the WO people have often said that they don't hope to be the new WoW and merging servers isn't particularly odd.

I don't know if they even release the numbers. What the server merging shows is that they expected a lot more players and got much less. They started out with 800k users and ended up with 300k users three months later. If they didn't bomb, then they certainly didn't meet their expectations.

EDIT: I remember reading something about how many people you needed to keep a MMO floating, but I can't find it anymore. It all depends on the expectations.

Edited by Purkake

They probably made sure to have plenty of servers to avoid day 1 congestion.

Expectations is a thing invented by people who comment on the situation and is probably at best a simplification of what actually goes on in their head:

"Guys, I've been playing this MMO and I think their PvP is pretty sucky"

"I've always wanted to make an MMO"

"We should make an MMO!"

"Hell yeah" *Fistbump*

I obviously don't know their thoughts and ideas but I'd wager that what I wrote up there is more likely to be true than any of your outsider speculation.

The amount of money you need to stay afloat depends on how expensive the MMO is to maintain.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif