NFL Season 2007

Kelverin

Sure, he should improve with better QBing and more offensive weapons around him to draw the defense's attention, but even so, I don't think he's better than an average starting WR. That's an improvement on what the Bolts have now, but if they don't win the big one this season, this'll be a move they end up regretting. As for Miami, it's a fabulous move for them. Given Chambers' cap number, they might well have been planning to cut him outright after the season. A 2nd-rounder for him is a coup.

And how bummed must Craig Davis be right now?

Interesting comments.

He seems to have a wealth of talent, but is very inconsistent. But look at the QB's he has had to work with.

Jay Fiedler

Damon Huard

Ray Lucas

Brian Griese

A.J. Feeley

Sage Rosenfels

Gus Frerotte

Daunte Culpepper

Joey Harrington

Trent Green

Cleo Lemon

This might have had something to do with the trade as well;

The Chargers plan to place wide receiver Eric Parker, who was sidelined with a toe injury the first day of training camp, on injured reserve later today.

I would say Vincent Jackson is the one to who should be worried. I like what I have seen with Davis, he is progressing slowly but surely. If Norv would open up the playbook a little, not sure if any defense can cover a 5 wide out set with LT, Gates, Chambers, Jackson and Davis. The trade came at a good time, our bye week so he will have a couple of weeks to get the playbook.

• 3 weeks later...

the pack now 7-1 wow ... detriot 6-2 ?

the pats beat the colts that sucks .... it looked like Indy had their number for the most part, we'll see if that happens again in the play-offs .... Indy was able to do things that the pats didn't see before.

dallas looking strong for an NFC team .

what will the second half of the season bring?

That's ok, my Denver is sucking as well.
I had a feeling the Chargers would win but DAMN. What happened to the broncos?

In other news - QB Jake Delhomme is done for the year.

The Broncos lack talent this year. :brows:

Oh yes, that they do. They get slaughtered by the Lions. The Lions?!?!?

Edited by Dark_Raven

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

The Lions have really turned over a new leaf this year. Actual good coaches and they finally seem to have gotten enough talented players to do stuff offensively.

'Bout time to really.

Using a gamepad to control an FPS is like trying to fight evil through maple syrup.

damn the colts fall to 7-2

the pack 8-1

what's going on here ?

can't wait to see the pack take on dallas ... should be an excellent game.

The Chargers should have blown the Colts out, they have no killer instinct and are unable to excel for 60 minutes.

The Cowboys vs. Pack should be awesome, I am pulling for Brett to get another shot at a ring.

Oh and Antonio Cromartie is one hell of an athlete.

fullj.getty-75557966dm005_indianapolis_.jpg

36930_600w600h.jpg

The Chargers should have blown the Colts out, they have no killer instinct and are unable to excel for 60 minutes.

I think it's more a case of the Colts defense playing a hell of a good game, only to have their offense and special teams fail them repeatedly. I don't think you can argue that a team with 2 special teams touchdowns (which are generally fluky plays) that only won by 2 points should've blown anybody out. They were damn lucky to get the points they did.

Oh and Antonio Cromartie is one hell of an athlete.

No argument there.

My Giants, sadly, lost to the hated Cowboys this weekend. They're a tough team to evaluate at this point. They're clearly not in the class of Dallas and Green Bay (two 8-1 teams who account for all three of the Giants' losses). And they're clearly better than the dregs of the league they've played for most of their wins. I think the key to beating them is the offensive line. If the Giants' opponent has weaknesses on the OL, they're going to tear them apart. But if the other team's OL is competent and healthy, a decent QB is going to be able to find holes in the Giants' secondary.

I think it's more a case of the Colts defense playing a hell of a good game, only to have their offense and special teams fail them repeatedly. I don't think you can argue that a team with 2 special teams touchdowns (which are generally fluky plays) that only won by 2 points should've blown anybody out. They were damn lucky to get the points they did.

6 interceptions, and 2 touchdowns on special teams = Blowout for any team other than the Chargers.

6 interceptions, and 2 touchdowns on special teams = Blowout for any team other than the Chargers.

It depends on what you view as the outlier. If those 8 plays are the best indication of the relative quality of these teams, then yes, the Chargers should've mopped the floor with the Colts. But, if the other 100 or so plays of the game (where the Colts generally outplayed SD) are the better representative of how good these teams are, then the Chargers are an inferior team that just got lucky enough on a few crucial plays to pull out a win.

I'm betting that the data set with the much, much larger sample size gives us better information on which team should have blown out which.

Edited by Enoch

It depends on what you view as the outlier. If those 8 plays are the best indication of the relative quality of these teams, then yes, the Chargers should've mopped the floor with the Colts. But, if the other 100 or so plays of the game (where the Colts generally outplayed SD) are the better representative of how good these teams are, then the Chargers are an inferior team that just got lucky enough on a few crucial to pull out a win.

I'm betting that the data set with the much, much larger sample size gives us better information on which team should have blown out which.

I know every year is different, but we have always played the colts tough. This is the same team as last year 14 - 2. To say they are more talented then the Chargers is false, better coached yes, but more talented... I do not think so. I would not be afraid to play them again, not really afraid of any team in the NFL except for maybe the Patsies

I know every year is different, but we have always played the colts tough. This is the same team as last year 14 - 2. To say they are more talented then the Chargers is false, better coached yes, but more talented... I do not think so. I would not be afraid to play them again, not really afraid of any team in the NFL except for maybe the Patsies

Well, now you're extrapolating based on outside data (i.e., past performance of both teams in other games). I was only talking about the plays on the field last night. Even so, based on their play this year, I'd probably be comfortable in saying that the Colts are more talented than the Chargers. Mostly because of what they have at the most important postition on the field-- Phil Rivers has not looked good. It's not all Norv's fault.

And, yes, the Colts often have trouble with SD and other 3-4 defenses. I think this is because their offensive linemen tend to be smaller, more agile tacticians, who can get pushed around a bit by the bigger defensive linemen that you see in a 3-4.

And, yes, the Colts often have trouble with SD and other 3-4 defenses. I think this is because their offensive linemen tend to be smaller, more agile tacticians, who can get pushed around a bit by the bigger defensive linemen that you see in a 3-4.
The key to beating manning is to pressure him, he had all day last night. We had one sack and about 12 the last two times we played them, same players, different coach. Ted Cottrel is the absolute worst DC. He turned chicken salad into chicken ****. Your are right about Rivers, he has sucked this year, sophomoric jinx?

I'll see your article and raise you one. Michael Silver's Mourning Rush

Edited by Kelverin

I don't think "Da Bears!" have what it takes to make it to the superbowl this year. My money is on the packers vs patriots in january.
I was not being serious. With the way the Pack is playing and the fact the wild card will most likely be from the NFC East their chances are very slim. Stranger things have happened though.

Packer fans really are brutal...and show it.

CROTCH2.jpg

Edited by Kelverin

Sunday, 11/18 early games:

San Diego (5-4) at Jacksonville (6-3) - San Diego usually struggles on the road on the east coast, I can't pick against them.

Kansas City (4-5) at Indianapolis (7-2) - Indianapolis, Brodie Croyle 1st start and no LJ. Colts win BIG

Oakland (2-7) at Minnesota (3-6) - Minnesota the faders continue to lose

Cleveland (5-4) at Baltimore (4-5) - Browns, the Raven are really struggling

Pittsburgh (7-2) at NY Jets (1-8 ) - Steelers, Hard to believe the Jets were a playoff team last year.

Tampa Bay (5-4) at Atlanta (3-6) - Tampa Bay, could go either way.

Arizona (4-5) at Cincinnati (3-6) - Bengal's, take it at home.

Miami (0-9) at Philadelphia (4-5) - Eagles, Will Miami go 0-16?

New Orleans (4-5) at Houston (4-5)

San Diego (5-4) at Jacksonville (6-3) - San Diego usually struggles on the road on the east coast, I can't pick against them.

Kansas City (4-5) at Indianapolis (7-2) - Indianapolis, Brodie Croyle 1st start and no LJ. Colts win BIG

Oakland (2-7) at Minnesota (3-6) - Minnesota the faders continue to lose

Cleveland (5-4) at Baltimore (4-5) - Browns, the Raven are really struggling

Pittsburgh (7-2) at NY Jets (1-8 ) - Steelers, Hard to believe the Jets were a playoff team last year.

Tampa Bay (5-4) at Atlanta (3-6) - Tampa Bay, could go either way.

Arizona (4-5) at Cincinnati (3-6) - Bengal's, take it at home.

Miami (0-9) at Philadelphia (4-5) - Eagles, Will Miami go 0-16?

Did anyone catch Mike and Mike on ESPN dumping on the Pats for running up the score on Buffalo? I don't think that was a fair criticisim. The Pats put thir 2nd and 3rd string in by the 3rd quarter and the Bills still could not stop the run. So who is going to beat this team? They must have a loss in there somewhere.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Did anyone catch Mike and Mike on ESPN dumping on the Pats for running up the score on Buffalo? I don't think that was a fair criticisim. The Pats put thir 2nd and 3rd string in by the 3rd quarter and the Bills still could not stop the run. So who is going to beat this team? They must have a loss in there somewhere.

and what are they suppost to do ... just give the ball back and say here try again. lay down until the next team can score ... I didn't see the espn thing but it's football you're suppost to try and score points whether it's a blow out or not.

I'm beginning to suspect that 19-0 is almost more likely than not, if the important guys stay healthy. The Colts are the only team that has played them close (Dallas kept it tight for 3 quarters, but that was mostly due to a fluky defensive score early on), but with the injury problems they've been having, I don't see them having such a good game at Foxborough in the playoffs.

The team that might have the best chance of beating the Pats (meaning that they have about a 1-in-4 shot) is probably the Giants, who they play in the Meadowlands in the last week of the regular season. The temptation for Belichick to sit his starters early will be high, and the Giants will probably be playing for playoff seeding. Plus, the matchup will be interesting. NY should be able to run the ball at least somewhat effectively to eat the clock and keep the Pats offense off the field. On defense, the Giants' weaknesses in the secondary don't really matter-- every team is weak in the secondary against Brady and those receivers. Since they can't expect to sit back and cover them, they should just bring the pass rush. If they send 5-7 guys at Brady on every down, there's a chance that they'll generate enough mistakes to pull ahead.

(By the way, I agree about all the "running up the score" nonsense. These guys are all professionals, they don't need pop-warner mercy rules.)

Oh, and one other team to look out for down the stretch is Jacksonville. With Garrard now back, they might steal the division from the Colts.

San Diego (5-4) at Jacksonville (6-3) - San Diego WRONG Chargers can't come back from deficits. The defense actually played well in the second half.

Kansas City (4-5) at Indianapolis (7-2) - Indianapolis, the Chiefs played there hearts out after being embarrassed in last years playoffs, close but the injury riddled Colts were able to pull through at the end.

Oakland (2-7) at Minnesota (3-6) - Minnesota, Chester Taylor ran all over the pathetic run defense of the raiders, Daunte played well in his return to the metrodome.

Cleveland (5-4) at Baltimore (4-5) - Browns, WOW what a great game. I love to see the Browns doing well.

Pittsburgh (7-2) at NY Jets (1-8 ) - Steelers WRONG Who would have thought the steelers would lose this game. Just goes to show you on any Sunday....

Tampa Bay (5-4) at Atlanta (3-6) - Tampa Bay

Arizona (4-5) at Cincinnati (3-6) - Bengal's WRONG The Bengal's defense is terrible, but I thought they could out score AZ

Miami (0-9) at Philadelphia (4-5) - Eagles, the dolphins played tough, but not enough to win. 0-16 looks like a possibility.

Week 12

Thursday, Nov. 22

Green Bay at Detroit 12:30 pm

N.Y. Jets at Dallas 4:15 pm

Indianapolis at Atlanta 8:15 pm

Sunday, Nov. 25

Buffalo at Jacksonville 1:00 pm

Houston at Cleveland 1:00 pm

Minnesota at N.Y. Giants 1:00 pm

New Orleans at Carolina 1:00 pm

Oakland at Kansas City 1:00 pm

Seattle at St. Louis 1:00 pm

Tennessee at Cincinnati 1:00 pm

Washington at Tampa Bay 1:00 pm

San Francisco at Arizona 4:05 pm

Baltimore at San Diego 4:15 pm

Denver at Chicago 4:15 pm

Philadelphia at New England 8:15 pm

Note: Sunday night games in Weeks 11-17 subject to change.

Monday, Nov. 26

Miami at Pittsburgh 8:30 pm