I'm sick of WW2 games.

Blank

It was a rant. I admit I am wrong. There are many games where you can play the axis side. My main point is that most of them are over-made (for example, Llyrannor claims to have 7 installed on his computer at this moment). It's the same guns, it's the usually the same setting, over and over. I'm sick of these games.

Edited by Blank

The player is never one of the Germans.

Wrong. Already pointed out.

One man can always defeat battalions of the enemy.

Wrong. This is your own bloody fault for playing generic FPS #1214254. But the same would apply if you were playing your average (WW2) RPG too, so meh. I don't see how the setting even has any remote relevance to this. Blame the mainstream game industry.

There's always a stupid narrator, or some attempt at a story that sucks, because you know what happens, and there is no character development.

Wrong. None of the games I'm playing even make any pretense at narration. They just attempt to portray historical accuracy as best suits the gameplay. All you're given is the information a CO would have received at the time. Reliving history doesn't have to involve playing Hollywood.

There's always a bunch of scripted crap, like "Hey Jenkins! Go blow up five hundred tanks by pressing A!" Reinforcements are always coming, but they are never there.

Wrong. You've been playing Call of Duty.

The Germans are always yelling, "EN MAHDDAH BOODIN!"

Your FACE is always yelling, "EN MAHDDAH BOODIN!"

The enemy AI sucks

Wrong. Some of the wargames I'm playing have arguably some of the best game AI commercially available. Stop playing Call of Duty or Company of Heroes.

and if you play on hard mode, they are the same, but with 200% more health points and they can shoot you from anywhere with more powerful bullets.

Wrong. Seems like you've been playing the same game, or just one of its clones. WW2 isn't a genre. FPS is a genre.

Buildings are always decrepit and war-torn. I frequently receive the responsibility to take out an enemy sniper, as though there are no others in the military who are capable. According to some of my allies the enemies are always, "EVERYWHERE!"

That's your problem for playing another Hollywood WW2 game.

This genre could be great. It could help tell the story of a big part of our history

It already is, Mr. Narrow. How many games have you played about Novorossisk, Gazala, or Saipan? What about the attempted Allied invasion of Italy? What about the Axis invasion of Greece and Crete? What about going through the war as Argentina or Brazil? Operating logistics issues throughout the whole Pacific Front? How about planning out the night operations of the Luftwaffe against the RAF rather than playing an action sim of a single aircraft? YOUR problem is that you've been playing games where the WW2 has been superficially implanted into core gameplay that could have accommodated ANY other setting, and then sprinkled with a Hollywood script. People buy this, we know. YOU buying this and complaining about it is your own fault when there are tons of WW2-focused game that don't cater to this audience. The hardcore WW2 game is very niche. Call of Duty isn't. Take your pick.

For the record, I quite enjoyed Call of Duty. But singling it out as the epitome of WW2 gaming and then claiming the apocalypse is a tad bit pushing it. Just a tad.

Did I mention that WW2 isn't a freaking genre?

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

My brother really likes them, so he spends the money, but I've not even touched the copy of COD3 he got. I'm too sick of the Hollywood WW2 Lame FPS's. I haven't really played another type of WW2 game, so I was ranting about the ones I have played. What are some that you recommend?

First, read through this thread, particularly alanschu's posts detailing his run through the game - which picks up come page 2.. This is what a WW2 game is. Not a FPS, not a RTS. A WW2 game. Then we'll talk about recommendations.

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?sh...c=45480&hl=

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

My brother really likes them, so he spends the money, but I've not even touched the copy of COD3 he got. I'm too sick of the Hollywood WW2 Lame FPS's. I haven't really played another type of WW2 game, so I was ranting about the ones I have played. What are some that you recommend?

The answer is simple. Get a new brother.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I disagree with almost all your points. Hurrah for me!

Seriously though, leaving aside your objection to always playing not German (try finding a game where you can play Britain in an FPS), I would suggest you try (EDIT) Brothers in Arms; Road to Hill 30. Three things make this awesome... four things make this an awesome game... FIVE things:

1. The soldiers swear properly.

2. The Germans don't look evil. They look young and aggressive, but not actually evil. It would of course be better if they looked really really tired.

3. Guns suppress the enemy. Which means when bullets are going off around you, or someone pops round a corner and lets off a machine gun, the target's nerves get rattled. He is disinclined to expose himself to fire at long range, and becomes a worse shot at close range. This leads to realistic fire team tactics, with flanking and room clearance. My particular favourite is the way that, when under fire, your best option is to send off a few clips in the most likely direction even if you can't see anyone, and only then run for cover.

4. Accuracy is a function of two things. First you have aiming accuracy, which is represented by your sights wobbling around with your breathing. This becomes more extreme when you get hurt or have been tearing around. This can be mitigated by good mouse control. Then you have natural ballistic error, which is just gravy. Hitting someone at long range is a hell of a lot more satisfying.

5. Difficulty changes the enemy AI more than it does their health. At low levels, as soon as you open fire the enemy scatter to cover and fire stolidly back. At higher levels they become more... proactive. The first time I upped the difficulty I was merrily trolling through a level, and had scampered up to a wall behind which some Germans were sheltering. I let off a magazine of tommy gun fire over their heads to keep their heads down and reached for my tea. You can imagine what happened to the tea when a stielhandgranat lofted over the wall and landed at my feet!

At higher levels the devious bastards will suppress you as you attack, then, if you are exposing anyone try to work up your flank! This is even more unnerving, but very exhilarating.

SIXTH and final grooviness:

6. Controlling friendly forces is done by holding down the right mouse button and pointing at stuff. If you are point at ground then the selected fire team will go there. If you are pointing at the enemy your fire team will try to suppress them. Simple, intuitive, and effective.

~~

Buy this game. Then help me make a mod for the British at Arnhem.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.