Smooth way of adding hit locations to d20 ?

We're going to try a d20 Modern campaign now, and since we're all used to systems that use hit locations, I was wondering if anyone knows of a smooth way to implement it into d20. The way we're thinking of invovles using second d20 or d100 roll to determine hit location after youve made your attack roll but maybe there is a more creative way to do it?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Just cart over the Fuzion System hit locations. It works decently enough, but remove the baseline critical hit system from the game

20 Head x2 Damage -8 Aimed Shot

18-19 hand x.5 -6

16-17 Arm x.5 -4

13-15 Shoulder x1 -4

9-12 Chest x1 -2

7-8 Stomach x1.5 -2

5-6 Vitals x1.5 -4

3-4 Leg x.5 -4

1-2 Feet x.5 -6

Roll a die, odds Right, Even left.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

But that would require 2 extra dice rolls above the attack roll. I think we'll steal a d100 hit location system from somewhere, that way we'll get more detailed locations. Does the crit thing work well? Looks like it could needlessly prolong combat if you roll limbshots

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

When I use a limb based system I have the Players roll to hit and the limb location dice at the same time. It cuts the time, if the attack hits it hits that location and damage is rolled and applied. Another way to do it is to only do the body location roll if the attack is a critical.

Keep in mind that in the d20 System hit points is an abstract system that not only represents the characters' life pool but also his ability to roll with the punches. An alternative is to use the Wound/Vitality system from d20 Star Wars, then apply the hit location system only when the characters take Vitality damage, since Vitality is the measurement of the character's actual life pool.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

We tried using the Vitality system but it didnt work, some of the less brainy members of the group just couldnt get their heads around it. Which is also why we're using d20 Modern and not a better system for this campaign.

The "roll with the punches" thing never made sense to me. How do you roll with being shot by a .50 cal sniper rifle? And donning major body armour doesnt reduce damage, the bullets just magicly turn mid-air and misses you. Rubbish, I say!

When it comes to large weapons it means you barely got out of the way of taking a serious hit.

There are many short comings in d20 Modern that does not allow realistic combat in the way it handles weaponry, armor, and the character;s life pool. That is one of the reasons why I am making my own system. Don't get me wrong, there are many things I think d20 Modern does right, but combat isn't one of them.

Edited by Sand

Is your system kickass, when can I sneak a peek at it? As Ive said before, I have a perverse interest in game systems.

I don't know if it "kick's ass" or not. I am currently getting the first draft done. I am taking aspects I like from Fuzion, Alternity, and d20 Modern and making a composite System that meshes the aspects I am taking into one system. So far I only have 4 out of the 13 chapters done.

Why not just use the attack's die roll and keep the divisions simple?

1 = YOU LOSE

11 = Head (5%)

2, 12 = Right Arm (10%)

3, 13 = Left Arm (10%)

4-5, 14-15 = Right Leg (20%)

6-7, 16-17 = Left Leg (20%)

8-10, 18-20 = Torso (30%)

This roughly corresponds to the Rule of Nines and makes the smaller extremities more difficult to critically hit as they are lower on the chart. You can switch in and out body parts for weird creatures or you can add subdivisions for rare cases. E.g. you might switch the numbers for a harpy to be so:

1 = YOU LOSE

11 = Head (5%)

2, 12 = Right Leg (10%)

3, 13 = Left Leg (10%)

4-5, 14-15 = Right Wing (20%)

6-7, 16-17 = Left Wing (20%)

8-10, 18-20 = Torso (30%)

Obviously you'd have to make custom charts for special creatures like beholders, but you'd have to do that under most systems. What you want to do for "special" damage is up to you. An old AD&D system said that if more than 25% of the character's HP were done to a limb, it was maimed. If more than 50% were done, it was "ruined". A maimed head might be a confusion effect. A ruined head might result in unconsciousness with a Fort save for instant death. A maimed torso might mean the character has a bleeding effect, taking damage every round, with a broken torso doing additional damage to the character any time he or she takes a full action. Stuff like that.

If you want to roll this into a called shot system, just use the following penalties to the attack roll. In such cases, a hit means that you strike the target and disregard the standard chart. Your chances of hitting a specific part are much higher, but the consequence for failing is a complete miss.

Head -8

Either Arm -6

Either Leg -4

Torso -2

Thats a good and simple way to do it. >_<

I guess thats why you make the big bucks as a game designer, eh J.E.. :D

There is a 3rd party DnD 3e book that has interesting rules about hit locations and critical hits. Its called Torn Asunder if memory serves. I am sure it can be adjusted to d20 Modern.

Thankyouverymuch Mr. Sawyer, jolly good job.

It seems simple enough for the numbnuts to understand it too, in D100 systems you can just flip the numbers (91 becomes 19 etc. ).

I try not to game with numbnuts.

Monsieur Sawyer has good suggestions. However, you may have more fun by making a target template and acetate overlay. The player puts the point of aim where they want it and then depending on skill the shot deviates in the X and Y dimensions. This makes it feel more real, and allows for more impromptu rationalising of damage.

"OK you've just been hit in the... left nut by a 30mm cannon round."

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Im quite sure thats a Swedish invention, I first saw that system used in Lancelot Games "Western" RPG from the late 80's. Their system is famous for the fact that unskilled characters have a better chance of hitting if they aim outside the target ;)

Im quite sure thats a Swedish invention, I first saw that system used in Lancelot Games "Western" RPG from the late 80's. Their system is famous for the fact that unskilled characters have a better chance of hitting if they aim outside the target :ermm:

It's an old military gaming system. Devised for gaming hits on tanks. Or so I've been told. I don't know which country did it though.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

We're going to try a d20 Modern campaign now, and since we're all used to systems that use hit locations, I was wondering if anyone knows of a smooth way to implement it into d20. The way we're thinking of invovles using second d20 or d100 roll to determine hit location after youve made your attack roll but maybe there is a more creative way to do it?

Try using a vorpal dice, that designated what part of the body you hit.

The "roll with the punches" thing never made sense to me. How do you roll with being shot by a .50 cal sniper rifle? And donning major body armour doesnt reduce damage, the bullets just magicly turn mid-air and misses you. Rubbish, I say!

Asking for realism in a modern game is trouble. Wouldn't it also make more sense for someone who wants to kill your character to hire a sniper? Wouldn't it make sense for that shot to be unable to dodge against and kill you in one hit?

I can't speak for other GMs, but the more realistic the damage system, the stupider I have to make the antagonists.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

It should be said that if some semblance of realism is your goal, Fuzion (Sand's suggestion) may be your best bet. I don't know Fuzion well, but I've heard it's the closest thing to Friday Night Fire Fight, which was the combat system from R. Tal's Cyberpunk 2020. Quick and lethal.

• 2 weeks later...

Asking for realism in a modern game is trouble. Wouldn't it also make more sense for someone who wants to kill your character to hire a sniper? Wouldn't it make sense for that shot to be unable to dodge against and kill you in one hit?

I can't speak for other GMs, but the more realistic the damage system, the stupider I have to make the antagonists.

Got a point. You get hit in the eye with a 7.62 round, front on you are hors de combat (which at one point I thought meant mercenaries) no matter who you are. It's awkward being too specific. On the other hand you could be biased and only roll location for NPCs.

-Elwood Blues