Mass Effect Previews

Volourn

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/770/770896p1.html

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3157785

Previews based off footage from from GDC including most of the first hour of the actual game. Some good news, and some bad news.

Good news: Character creation, combat, game size, story, & role-playing.

Bad news: Seems to have too many cutesy SW references, and initial plot hook sounded original but is partially ruined by something blandly unoriginal.

The ugly: Too much whining by 1up about unimportnat crap (ie. eyes, lol), SPOILERS!

WARNING: Both contain spoiler sof the first hour. 1up isn't too bad; but IGN holds no spoiler back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. ME > KOTOR X 1 MILLION

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well, here's waiting for the PC version. :)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

Well, unless I can find a X Box 360 Premium for about $100 USD I doubt that I will get the console. With how much a X Box 360 costs I rather spend that money upgrading my PC.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

It was part of the upgrade process. Next is a DirectX 10 Video Card.

Edited by Sand

XBOX 360 is not that expensive. It took me about 3-4 months to save for it, and I'm not exactly rich.

Besides, it has Call of Duty 3!!!!!

And, it'll have an exclusive game called Mass Effect.

addenum: http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2007/03/06/gd...effect-eyes-on/

What's wrong with ME's eyes? The previews seem to be rather harsh over EYES!!!

addenum 2: http://previews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1550/Mass-Effect/p1/

You get to choose your birthplace, and effects the story!!! Sweet!!!

Edited by Volourn

XBOX 360 is not that expensive. It took me about 3-4 months to save for it, and I'm not exactly rich.

Its $400 USD plus freaking tax, making it about $430. I am not going to spend $430 just to play one game that more than likely will become a PC game just a few years down the road. I made the mistake of buying a console for the sake of one game once. I am not going to do it again, especially on a console that is going to cost me 4 times as much.

"CoD3 sucks."

I disagree. And, I say that hating shooters and not being a fan of war games.

Hades: Mass Effect is 3 games. I'm sure there are going to be other games for xbox 360 as well that you'll like.

But, it's ok. Not everyone can buy every system so that's cool.

Well, the only one that has been released so far would be Oblivion and I already have that on the PC so there is no need to get the subpar XBox 360 version.

BioWare has some really dodgy art direction, the armours and aliens look way too funky for my taste.

..and Ill play it on my schools h4xxored 360 or my neighbours, but I wont pay for it until its released for PC

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

And, BIO just sold Morgoth. L0LLERZ! Proof, once again, sex sales!!!

"Well the setting looks pretty meh"

I'm not a big fna of 'space games' either; but I'm looking for the stuff I like in BIO games: interetsing characters, worthwhile choices (likely not at the level of FO but meh), a not neccessarily original story; but interetsing nontheless, good combat (not coutning KOTOR), cool character customization. :brows:

The setting itself is not high on my list (unless it's fantasy and it has dwarves!).

Edited by Volourn

Not to mention the KOTOR, NWN, and BG alluring ladies too. :brows:

http://uk.xbox360.gamespy.com/xbox-360/mas...t/771004p1.html

Game spy jumps into the fray!

We find out that the 'space zombies' are actually called 'husks'

And, the firts hint of ME's 'moral meter' ala KOTOR's good vs evil and JE's open palm vs closed fist meters.

In ME, the terms are Paragon/Renegade system. It shall be interetsing as the delve into that. I guess that it has to do with how you deal with Spectre and show off humankind.

The exact quote is:

"BioWare is aiming to have the players make hard choices which not only affect their game immediately after making them, but also have repercussions throughout the universe. Muzyka is fond of describing Shepard as the "tip of the spear of humanity" in that Shepard is the first human Spectre operative, and hence is under constant scrutiny by the rest of universe as a model of human behavior. The doctors showed a brief glimpse of the "Paragon/Renegade" system, which are two separate meters that reflect the player's actions, and teased with, "We'll talk more about how that actually works later."

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Yes, but its not moddable.

Can you change the main character's appearance in Mass Effect? In every shot of him I've seen he looks exactly the same.

If you can't then he should have a gay ponytail like the hero in Gothic!!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

"Can you change the main character's appearance in Mass Effect? In every shot of him I've seen he looks exactly the same."

You can. Including gender. They just using this particular guy as the main piece of their marketing so when people see him they instantly know it's ME. I, perosanlly, would prefer if they chose a HOT female as their marketing ploy ala Aribeth; but ah well... soemtimes the ladies get the eye candy first.

R00fles!

I'm edging a little closer to the 360 and I'm almost entirely out of the PS3 camp at this time. However, I'm definitely picking up a wii. Not because I want one, but I'm going to give one to my sister. I'll play it at her house. Condemned and Mass Effect look totally awesome and tubular. If I could figure out the sluggish console controls, I would probably play fpses on the 360 as well. I liked the first two call of duty games.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hmm, just noticed this.

Cover was taken by pressing your directional pad up against an object. From there, Shepherd leaned out and targeted enemies which were conveniently marked as targets by glowing diamonds.

Excellent. Hopefully the action elements of the game will deliver. I don't want an awkward hybrid that fails to provide any sort of satisfaction on either the action or tactical side.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)