S.t.a.l.k.e.r.: Shadow of Chernobyl (impressions video inside)

Lare Kikkeli

Now that I eventually got into the bar and finally aquired a decent suit and an assult rifle with Scope, fighting actually now makes fun. I'm now near the quest where I've to get that "family rifle" (not that I've the intention to give it back to that drunkard), but everywhere people are shooting at me and I wonder where that damn thing is. Any Stalker comrade here to give me a small hint?

Now that I eventually got into the bar and finally aquired a decent suit and an assult rifle with Scope, fighting actually now makes fun. I'm now near the quest where I've to get that "family rifle" (not that I've the intention to give it back to that drunkard), but everywhere people are shooting at me and I wonder where that damn thing is. Any Stalker comrade here to give me a small hint?

Follow the marker on the PDA, but remember to look both high and low. get it? haha you will. Make sure you check the area around the "family rifle" carefully as well.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Hey, I cleverly figured out how to throw grenades! Anyhow, where is the damned pseudodog. I've found a tail on a dog, but I'm sure it wasn't that easy. There must be some big, ugly pseudodog I have to fight. Where?!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Follow the marker on the PDA, but remember to look both high and low. get it? haha you will. Make sure you check the area around the "family rifle" carefully as well.

Yeah, I once derived a little too far and was suddendly dragged into a conflict with some Ruskie authorities. And I just wanted that stupid rifle. But I guess a sniper's place would be somewhere on the roofs, so maybe I should start looking there. :(

Hey, I cleverly figured out how to throw grenades! Anyhow, where is the damned pseudodog. I've found a tail on a dog, but I'm sure it wasn't that easy. There must be some big, ugly pseudodog I have to fight. Where?!

Pseudodog tails are somewhat rare, it took me forever to finally get one. They are one that animal that looks like a wolverine or something, very aggressive and snarling. The tails are really hard to see on the inventory panel as well. Make sur eyou look carefully whenever you check one.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Actually.. I think it's a sawed-off shotgun you're after.. and it's opposite of on the roof, so to speak. If I remember correctly..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Yeah, I once derived a little too far and was suddendly dragged into a conflict with some Ruskie authorities. And I just wanted that stupid rifle. But I guess a sniper's place would be somewhere on the roofs, so maybe I should start looking there. :brows:

Look low instead.

Please don't tell me it's in that planthouse where I've to watch out for a porthole while dying from radiation?

heh. no its not in there. You need to go further. Go past the burning helicopter and look for a way underground.

I'm disappointed that I had to crawl through those anomalies just to receive this sawed-off shotgun. How lame. I thought I'd get an awesome Sniper-Rifle. Other than a friggin' invisible Mutant that almost shocked me to death, there was nothing interesting else. Now I'm off to the Dark Valley, and I'm wondering how to get there.... Maybe it's just me, but the map needs improvements, as I sometimes get a little lost in teh Zone.

I'm disappointed that I had to crawl through those anomalies just to receive this sawed-off shotgun. How lame. I thought I'd get an awesome Sniper-Rifle. Other than a friggin' invisible Mutant that almost shocked me to death, there was nothing interesting else. Now I'm off to the Dark Valley, and I'm wondering how to get there.... Maybe it's just me, but the map needs improvements, as I sometimes get a little lost in teh Zone.

I would suggest that you go back and look again. )

So far, my favorite part of the game is that mind melting mutant. I've encountered one invisable mutant so far, but I spotted it while it was still cloaked and killed it with a few head shots.

The mind bender is EVIL though!

I was walking down a corridor when I hear a mutant growl. I assumed it was another cloaked mutant hiding in the darkness in front of me, so I'm creeping along when I'm suddenly yanked along the hallway then face punched back to my body. My vision is blurry, so I decide to waste the ammunition fire blindly into the darkness.

This doesn't work. At all.

After being torn from my body twice more, I decide to run like the frightened girl I am. I turn tail and am sprinting down the corridor when my now horribly double vision makes out a figure. IT WAS BEHIND ME THE WHOLE TIME. But, I swear is wasn't there before. How did it get there?

No time to think. Fire blindly. Run, run, run back to the darkness now. I now am in complete blackness and I can't see a damn thing, the walls won't hold still. I duck behind a outcropping.

Okay, vision starting to get normal. First aiding self. It obviously has great long-range strengths, so I'll going to hide behind this outcropping. Sneak a peak down the hall. Yeah, it's following me. Switch to shotgun. I'm gonna blow off its swollen head as soon as it rounds the bend. Just steady shotgun...steady...steady... Not steadying. Am blurring again. Vision is turning red. Metallic whining in ears. What's happening? Oh f--k. Oh f--k. The closer it gets, the worse this becomes. If it gets close range, I'm helpless!

Lob a grenade! F--k that, lob two! My vision is now red mush. Tossing grenade where I think mutant is. Vision is jerking wildly left and right. Did I toss it anywhere near it? Tossing another. Imma gonna get you, you mother-

Massive explosion. Redness stops immediately. No more whining. I got it! Igotit-Igotit-Igot-

Massive explosion. Maria dies.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I think I **** my pants the first time that thing ripped me out of my own body.

Anyhow, I have entered the reactor core. Getting in was actually very difficult. Snipers on rooftops, helicopters shooting missiles everywhere, soldiers with RPG's (they have huge damage radius's), footsoldiers with body armour and armour piercing assault rifles.. and to top it all off, a five minute limit before the entire area becomes violently radiated! Love it!

Much easier on the inside though.

Yeah, I tried lobbing a grenade at the damned thing also. In my defense, I'd just cleverly learned how to throw grenades. I just ignored it. It really didn't seem bent on following me, so I went back up top and took on the soldiers. They're much easier to kill. On the other hand, while I was down there getting all the goodies, it said that my mission to get info on Strelok had failed. The damned game confuses me, so I'm just kind of wandering around, being confused, and shooting things. Right now, there are more bandits rushing the Hangar.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Yeah, I tried lobbing a grenade at the damned thing also. In my defense, I'd just cleverly learned how to throw grenades. I just ignored it. It really didn't seem bent on following me, so I went back up top and took on the soldiers. They're much easier to kill. On the other hand, while I was down there getting all the goodies, it said that my mission to get info on Strelok had failed. The damned game confuses me, so I'm just kind of wandering around, being confused, and shooting things. Right now, there are more bandits rushing the Hangar.

Did you leave without getting the flash drive?

I have to agree though: this game can be damn confusing at times. I've heard of a billion different endings (or seven?), but I've only managed to get three. Two of them were obviously not right (

Wishbringer

and

Join the C-Consciousness

), but the third one was pretty OK. Thing is, I don't know if it's the optimal ending. It looked good enough, but it wasn't immediately clear if that was the best I could get.. (

I defeated Monolith and ended up just sleeping in the grass

)

I'm afraid to go read a walkthrough as I'm sure I'll just be pissed at myself for missing such huge chunks of game along the way.

On the other hand, while I was down there getting all the goodies, it said that my mission to get info on Strelok had failed. The damned game confuses me, so I'm just kind of wandering around, being confused, and shooting things. Right now, there are more bandits rushing the Hangar.

You left the building withou the flash drive?

Did you find Strelok's secret hide-away? I found it, then spent fifteen minutes searching it for the flash drive. It's bright white and stuck in a dark corner behind a pile of stuff.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

You know, I eventually went back to find it. Of course, I'm armed to the teeth and laying waste. I'm going to restart, I think. I've managed to completely confuse myself and I need to start a new game, fresh. I'll also probably go one notch lower difficulty.

Obsidian Plays

I have to agree though: this game can be damn confusing at times. I've heard of a billion different endings (or seven?), but I've only managed to get three. Two of them were obviously not right (

Wishbringer

and

Join the C-Consciousness

), but the third one was pretty OK. Thing is, I don't know if it's the optimal ending. It looked good enough, but it wasn't immediately clear if that was the best I could get.. (

I defeated Monolith and ended up just sleeping in the grass

)

I'm afraid to go read a walkthrough as I'm sure I'll just be pissed at myself for missing such huge chunks of game along the way.

All the other endings involve the

Wishbringer

, and the

wish

depends on different things, for example if you have

loads of money

you get the

"I want to be rich"

ending.

It isn't difficult to have a boolean variable that stores the status of a mission ... having a real-time check on the bandit population (in this case) to see if all the bandits have been cleared (as per the mission) is patently ludicrous, given the respawn rate. Either tone down the respawn, or use a flag.

I didn't see anyone point this out here, but you'll like the next patch because it is indeed toning down the respawn rate somewhat. I think that will be great, because it is currently way too high.

Boss: You're fired.

Me: Ummm will you let me have my job if I dance for you?

Boss: No, I don't think so-

Me: JUST LET ME DANCE

*Dances*

I didn't see anyone point this out here, but you'll like the next patch because it is indeed toning down the respawn rate somewhat. I think that will be great, because it is currently way too high.

Neat.