Hi guys. I'm new here and have a few questions about everything

Hello everyone.

I just made my account so if everyone could bear with me on some of the stuff I'm about to ask as I'm sure it's the same dry and stale questions you've heard so many times before.

To set the scene, let me explain my situation. My parents are leaving for the whole week (party anyone?) and I decided that a new computer game could surely appease my appetite of boredom and the first thing that popped into my mind was KOTOR2. For the past few weekends all I've been doing is heading to my neighbors and playing it on his xbox and it was fantastic. I remember a few summers back staying up all night playing KOTOR1 (One of my top 5 games of all time) and I simply fell in love with the series.

Enough about the needless details, back to why I started this thread.

This afternoon I purchased 2 on Amazon and it should be here by tommorrow. When I checked out the specs on the game reqs and compared it with mine (Well more with my neighbor's help as I'm unfortunately computer "illiterate") everything seemed fine, with the exception of a few doubts and worries I'm having now after reading some excerpts of mechanics, bugs, etc.

So just a few questions I have about the game itself and these message boards as well:

My entire duration of my enjoyment of this series has been on the xbox, will the switch to pc be awkward at first or actually turn out to be better?

What's the deal with these patches I've been looking at? I'm assuming the pc verison has several of the bugs that I saw in the xbox version as well, but are there really patches out there that can fix them and are they legit as well?

Is installation a troublesome hassle or should it be applicable for a computer novice such as myself?

I'm sure there are many more questions I could raise, mostly about the game but I'll let those wait for another time, but I'd just like to let everyone know of my situation and if anyone could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for reading

• Like 1

If you're used to xbox controls and don't pcgame too often, it might feel a little odd in that sense...but once you get used to the hotkeys I doubt you'd have any problem there. I'm not sure about gameplay - I don't think it's any different, really.

Which patches? Where are you looking? The Official ones or mods? The TSL Restoration Project is a fan-based project; the mods on their site are their own little fixes for some things. Many of them work for most people. PC games are often user-modded to suit people's tastes, or to fix things when they aren't Officially fixed... :dry:

Installation of the game (and most pc games) are pretty simple. Just insert the disc and follow their directions - it's mostly just watching a bar fill up as files are loaded. :aiee:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If you're used to xbox controls and don't pcgame too often, it might feel a little odd in that sense...but once you get used to the hotkeys I doubt you'd have any problem there. I'm not sure about gameplay - I don't think it's any different, really.

Which patches? Where are you looking? The Official ones or mods? The TSL Restoration Project is a fan-based project; the mods on their site are their own little fixes for some things. Many of them work for most people. PC games are often user-modded to suit people's tastes, or to fix things when they aren't Officially fixed... :dry:

Installation of the game (and most pc games) are pretty simple. Just insert the disc and follow their directions - it's mostly just watching a bar fill up as files are loaded. ;)

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Well I simply googled things such as KOTOR patches and such, and a few reputable sites appearered, such as this:

http://support.lucasarts.com/patches/KotOR2.htm

And this, http://www.fileplanet.com/98153/section/St...-The-Sith-Lords, although I'm a little unsure of that one.

Again I need to stress that I'm clueless when it comes to computers so the patches are quite confusing to me. The reason I'm asking about them is that about 99% of the stuff I've been looking at has been about what appears to be thousands of bugs and glitches and I'm really concerned that this is going to disrupt my game and the fun I was planning on having. A lot of computer lingo that scared me was at the bottom of this extremely helpful guide http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox/file/s..._kotor_ii_a.txt.

Other than that though, thanks for the help and I hope to have a great time here at these forums. :aiee:

Installing the game is easy, put disk one in the drive, sit back and follow the instructions on screen. Once the game has loaded there is an auto-update option on the start screen, those you should get as they will solve most of the problems you could otherwise run into. Having said that I played the game for quite sometime without any patches at all, and only ran into problems once or twice. If your not used to computers I'd advise you to ignore patches that don't come through the updater, most of those I've seen involve moving files around and manualy installing them (and quite a few of them never seemed to work for me anyway, or made things worse).

As to the difference between X-box and PC versions, I think the only major difference is in the controler (Naturally) and in some of the graphic options-Most of these are set up automatically by the game when you first start the game anyway. If you do run into problems, well at least you know where to come for answers :aiee:

If you Google most pc games, you'll generally find pages and pages of "buggiest game in the world" testimonials. Unlike consoles, every PC is built a bit differently, from hardware to drivers to installed software that all interact in unpredictable ways, So a majority may have no/little problems and thus be silent, while those that do, tend to be vocal. Which isn't to say games don't have fairly universal bugs sometimes, as well. They do. :aiee:

Most of the common bugs and little glitches in Kotor2 that I'm aware of aren't game-stoppers - and you may not experience any of them. No one can really say.

The Official patches are the one you mentioned at lucasarts, and it's related Media Patch, which just improves the music and movies; nothing to do with gameplay. If it's not authored/approved by lucasarts, it's not Official, and it's player created.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My entire duration of my enjoyment of this series has been on the xbox, will the switch to pc be awkward at first or actually turn out to be better?
There isn't alot different, besides that it may look far prettier on a good PC :shifty:

What's the deal with these patches I've been looking at? I'm assuming the pc verison has several of the bugs that I saw in the xbox version as well, but are there really patches out there that can fix them and are they legit as well?

All the X-box bugs are present on the PC yes. But on the PC modders atleast can fight them. I would NOT suggest installing the official 1.0B patch, only the Improved music patch and EVERY patch found here. After that, yes, your Kotor2 experience will be far better and less buggier than on the X-box

Is installation a troublesome hassle or should it be applicable for a computer novice such as myself?

As mentioned before; it is just pressing next some time :sweat:

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I too am a PC Noob, I installed Kotor 2 on my new computer... which is not connected to the Internet, so I can't download patches. It should be interesting to see how far I get. So far T3 is having his twittering cut from conversations.

When I installed it on my other primitive piece of garbage which is connected to the Internet, the patches were self installing. Installing the game itself was, (as you have probably discovered) quite simple. I mean it was just putting the right disk in at the right time and clicking ok.

The graphics adjustments aren't causing a problem... I did notice some textures appeared washed out (such as on the walls and doors) so I upped the resolution and texture... um, thing (I did say noob at the beginning. :tongue: ) which solved that. I haven't figured out the Advanced adjustments yet... (weired bunch of letters). It's not the one to do with shadow and grass rendering. I doubt grass would be a problem: Graphics card Nvidia GeForce 7600, I assume the bigger number means it's gooder. I haven't had any lag yet, but I'm only on Citadel Station, not a lot of Force Storm and Wave used there.

So far I have not had difficulty with the keyboard interface, it is taking some getting used to, and since I have never played PC games that is to be expected. I do like the hotkeys, though a difference I have noticed as a console user is for changing attacks, you can't cycle up or down as you could with the Xbox, instead you have to click with the mouse. Unless I've missed something in the guide that I didn't read. Feh, who reads them anyway? Also a superficial difference is the camera angle is fixed like in Kotor 1. The lack of vibration is rather odd, but understandable. I can't get over how fast the loading time is. :happy:

Master Vash
Edited by Purgatorio

S.A.S.I.S.P.G.M.D.G.S.M.B.

Seeing your specs is easy... in the start-up screen press "configure" then "scan hardware" ("yes") and when it's done checking "details"

As for the advanched thingies

AA (Anti-Alliasing) is to remove pixilasation (sharp edges) around folks so it looks more "real"

Anisotrophy not sure what it exactly does... but it makes the game look better :)

Frame buffer effect is for turning on/off special effects like the blue-striped camera's, wavy corners when spoken to you with telepathy and Force Sight.

Soft-Shadow speaks for itself I hope; it makes shadows rounder and more realistic

V-sync is used incase you have severe differences in framerate during gameplay (well; not in smoke...everybody has that). I would advise to keep this turned off...

Anything else? :teehee:

EDIT; As for the patch-readme; The entire patch is rushed and weird... installing is (again) NOT advised; what usefull fix is in it anyways (besides "perhaps" flying Swoopracing if you are into that)? ONLY advised for i915 chipset users....

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

By the way, just a quick little question on installation, is it true that I have to install it on the admin account? I remember reading that in the guide link I posted above.
Yes, in most cases if you want to install games on PC's its best to do so in the admin account-which if your the only user is where you normally end up when the computer is turned on.

The graphics adjustments aren't causing a problem... I did notice some textures appeared washed out (such as on the walls and doors) so I upped the resolution and texture... um, thing (I did say noob at the beginning. ) which solved that. I haven't figured out the Advanced adjustments yet... (weired bunch of letters). It's not the one to do with shadow and grass rendering. I doubt grass would be a problem: Graphics card Nvidia GeForce 7600, I assume the bigger number means it's gooder. I haven't had any lag yet, but I'm only on Citadel Station, not a lot of Force Storm and Wave used there.

There can be problems on Dantooine with GeForce graphics cards with the game slowing, locking up for a few moments then jerking back leaving the character you are controling locked in possition, the same error appears in KOTOR as well as KOTOR 2. In both cases there is a way to sort the problem out, but it involves messing around with configureation files. I just leave the game to sort itself out and switch to another Character for a minute which unfreezes whoever got stuck.

I do like the hotkeys, though a difference I have noticed as a console user is for changing attacks, you can't cycle up or down as you could with the Xbox, instead you have to click with the mouse. Unless I've missed something in the guide that I didn't read.

You can scroll up and down using the mouse wheel, if your mouse has one. As to the rest of the controls the only one I use is spacebar to pause the game, everything else you can do via the mouse.

There can be problems on Dantooine with GeForce graphics cards with the game slowing, locking up for a few moments then jerking back leaving the character you are controling locked in possition, the same error appears in KOTOR as well as KOTOR 2. In both cases there is a way to sort the problem out, but it involves messing around with configureation files. I just leave the game to sort itself out and switch to another Character for a minute which unfreezes whoever got stuck.

Q. I am having slow performance on Dantooine and/or in the Jekk Jekk Tar

A. Open SWKotor2.ini found in the map where you installed Kotor2. There find [Graphics Options]and add the line Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

It's *that* easy. Sending e-mail or using Word requires more effort from the PC-newb. :thumbsup:

^

Hey guys just a quick update on how things are going.

IT ARRIVED! And in less than 24 hours! Thank you Amazon.

Well luckily, my neighbor stopped by and he is VERY GOOD with computers, as I mentioned above, and he's been helping me with the installation. It was confusing, but we got through everything. The only requirement I didn't meet though was the video card...I was crushed, but luckily, my neighbor is going to give me a video card he has and a spare hard drive as well to make room for even more space on my comp. He just headed to his house to get it and should be back shortly and will install it for me as well.

I can almost taste it...so close!

I'll keep you guys updated on how things go and thank you everyone for your help.

I love moments like those...anticipation combined with a bit o' excited impatience. :D

Hope it all goes smoothly!

Everything listed under "Gameplay fixes"

Besides the "Telos Academy Imprisonment Cutscene Fix" fix if you did NOT install 1.0B

^

Hello Meatbag, :D

The games is cool, I have not read through all the comments so I may repeat something.

You can have a truly black heart or airy fairieness and find a playing style to go with it.

You should get the Official Patch for the game and install it before playing.

The story of the game is confusing to allot of people. The reason is that it is not all complete. There was allot of cut content at it's release. These are however being put together as we speak.

For this reason, you should save allot. Doing so will allow you to pick up at an any point in the game should you add this content and need to activate it in time with the game's events to see the added content.

You can get this content from the game's restoration project called TSLRP. From here you can follow the overall project until they put out a rather large mod that has it all. There are however allot other mods you can get. just search for "kotor 2 mod" and have fun going though it.

Edited by Watchman

I've actually beaten it a few times good and evil on my neighbors xbox, but I was still in love with the game so I had decided to pick it up...although now there is no use what so ever.

Simply put, I will never be able to play Kotor II on this comp.

I had not met the video card req and my neighbor came by to install one he had. When he cracked open the monitor though he was "flabbergasted" because I guess my modem doesn't have an, and correct me if I say it wrong, AGP or AGL port or something. He was confounded that my system was not that old, yet didn't have it there. He explained to me that it's attached to the motherboard and that there's no way he can install the videocard, nor any others in that case and that it's impossible to install one...I have a picuture here of what the modem looked like when we broke it open.

http://www.uploadfile.info/uploads/a767cb8ff7.jpg

He said the top right is where the AGP port thing should be so he can install the videocard. He said that there was nothing I could do short of getting a new computer...

All is lost...well except that he's letting me borrow his original xbox and I'm playing some kotor on there, but for the comp, well...I simply don't know what to do...

Edited by Organic Meatbag

Seeing your specs is easy... in the start-up screen press "configure" then "scan hardware" ("yes") and when it's done checking "details"

Found it. I was looking "Advanced " in "System Requirements" via Control Panel... I had forgotten about configure and scan hardware. I did that last time with the old one when it failed almost all requirements.

As for the advanched thingies

AA (Anti-Alliasing) is to remove pixilasation (sharp edges) around folks so it looks more "real"

Anisotrophy not sure what it exactly does... but it makes the game look better :dancing:

Frame buffer effect is for turning on/off special effects like the blue-striped camera's, wavy corners when spoken to you with telepathy and Force Sight.

Soft-Shadow speaks for itself I hope; it makes shadows rounder and more realistic

V-sync is used incase you have severe differences in framerate during gameplay (well; not in smoke...everybody has that). I would advise to keep this turned off...

Very helpful as always, and Anti-Alliasing made a great differance, I thought the graphics were fine, but now :ohmy: :thanks:

I should get the movie graphic fix... it's a bit blurry.

Q.Why do the Neutrally Aligned NPCs have a light green glow when using Kriea in firstperson view? It's barely noticeable, is it normal?

Edit: quote me) Graphics card Nvidia GeForce 7600, I assume the bigger number means it's gooder. I haven't had any lag yet, but I'm only on Citadel Station, not a lot of Force Storm and Wave used there.

I'll keep that in mind as well as--->

Q. I am having slow performance on Dantooine and/or in the Jekk Jekk Tar

A. Open SWKotor2.ini found in the map where you installed Kotor2. There find [Graphics Options]and add the line Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1

It's *that* easy. Sending e-mail or using Word requires more effort from the PC-newb. =]

So helpful :thanks:

You can scroll up and down using the mouse wheel, if your mouse has one. As to the rest of the controls the only one I use is spacebar to pause the game, everything else you can do via the mouse.

That does help. :thanks: again. I was just tinkering and found it's possible to change the assigned keys. Shooting with a mouse wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

S.A.S.I.S.P.G.M.D.G.S.M.B.

When you look in your case you should see the the modem at the bottem left of your case. There is a port that is about 4 inches long which the modem it is in (which is called a pci slot, most computers have three). If you have a empty one then u can install a pci graphics card. They are not as good as agp but are cheap. The ATI 9200se pci and the ATI 9250 pci will both run the game. I have used them before to play the game. I have yet to use a nvidia card for the game so i dont know which ones would work. Hope this helps.

There is a list of graphics cards in the manual and also in the games read me file that will work with the game, pci cards should work with the game if the chipset is on the list and the card has at least 64 mb of ram.

(Your neighbor isn't the only one who's surprised that your computer has no AGP port-while I'm far from a computer expert I did build my computer and haven't see a motherboard that lacks a AGP port in eight years or so.....)

Your best bet is to look around your area for a local computer shop, not one of the big named stores but a smaller local shop. If you have the list and ask nicely they might be able to help you find a card that will work with the game. They can also (or should if your nice and they are not to busy) be able to talk to you about how much it would cost to get a custom computer built-even with labour costs its not as expensive as you'd think if you have the programs and things like the modem, hard drive, CD-Rom and floppy drives already (which you can take from the old PC). I'm talking from experience here, my computer cost about half what the cheapest computer around would have cost although as I said I put mine together on my own.

Edited by Darth Mortis

@mkg-are you talking of that part with the screws still in on it in the lower left hand corner of that picture? So I can just simply put a pci card in it and run the game?

@mortis-I'll make sure to read up on the manual some. I'm not too sure about computer shops as the town I live in is pretty small and crappy, not to mention money is kind of low for me at the moment, but I will definently keep that idea in mind.

The pci slots should be those three white bars near the top of the motherboard, in your picture.

Q.Why do the Neutrally Aligned NPCs have a light green glow when using Kriea in firstperson view? It's barely noticeable, is it normal?
Kreia (and Visas) have a built-in always active Force Sight. Good people blue, Bad people red... and the neutrals green probably.

Never really used Force Sight myself (not really needed) really...

PS. The moviefix doesn't do much good on the blurryness, if at all :)

When he cracked open the monitor though

I surely HOPE this is a typo, considering the graphical card is in the computer. There can be 2 types of cards (PCI or AGP) and considering you had a 7500 it could indeed be possible you have only PCI-slots instead of AGP-slots.

^

For this reason, you should save allot. Doing so will allow you to pick up at an any point in the game should you add this content and need to activate it in time with the game's events to see the added content.

This is wrong. To have TSLRP run without issues you need either a new game, or a save from before arriving on Telos (as then starts the first part of cut content plot-line (GenoHaraden) that is part of a BIG part of the game)

^