Klingons in the White House

Guard Dog

Rep. David Wu (D-Ore.) captured the award for nuttiest speech of the new Congress when he delivered this statement on the floor of Congress: "This president has listened to some people, the so-called Vulcans in the White House, the ideologues. But you know, unlike the Vulcans of Star Trek who made the decisions based on logic and fact, these guys make it on ideology. These aren't Vulcans. There are Klingons in the White House. But unlike the real Klingons of Star Trek, these Klingons have never fought a battle of their own. Don't let faux Klingons send real Americans to war

http://politicalhumor.about.com/

Shields up Mr. Chekov! Klingons in the White House, Trekkies in the Congress. God help us.

What is the hand basket we're in and where are we going?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The internet is a series of tubes!

The eye or Mordor is on Iraq!

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It's hardly a surprise to me. I saw them land.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

When I was studying politics in college, I remember one teacher who showed us some of Ronald Reagan's speeches.

Most of them(what he showed us) were slightly altered quotes and synopsises from American movies.

Apparently at that time Alzheimer was starting to take a hold on the good Prez. and he would make up speeches as he went along, ignoring or altering those texts written for him by his staff.

That particular class was somewhat scary...

It's no worse than listening to supposedly competent politicos. Look at Dog. :-

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Inevitable as attention-seeking politicians try to reach out to ever-more diverse social groups ... Trekkers would be between about 18 (disregarding those below voting age for convenience) and 60, and would be predominantly male, educated to college or beyond, liberal and idealistic about the possible achievements of a (UN) government (the Federation!).

As for the characterizations: they are (in the quoted text) pretty rough and meaningless.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Star trekking across Washington D.C.!

Hey, if a congressman (or woman) watches and likes Star Trek then he has my vote! Unless he (or she) is a Republican.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

What? Hey, at least I'm being honest. :shifty:

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

What if he actually WAS a klingon?

*thinks*

It would explain a lot about Rumsfeld.

-Elwood Blues

Bush reminds me more of a Ferengi than a Klingon.

Hmmmm... perhaps there is one of those internet tests we can make them sit?

-Elwood Blues

If religon and politics don't mix you had better believe Star Trek and politics don't mix. Or at least shouldn't.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Rep. David Wu (D-Ore.) captured the award for nuttiest speech of the new Congress when he delivered this statement on the floor of Congress: "This president has listened to some people, the so-called Vulcans in the White House, the ideologues. But you know, unlike the Vulcans of Star Trek who made the decisions based on logic and fact, these guys make it on ideology. These aren't Vulcans. There are Klingons in the White House. But unlike the real Klingons of Star Trek, these Klingons have never fought a battle of their own. Don't let faux Klingons send real Americans to war

Shields up Mr. Chekov! Klingons in the White House, Trekkies in the Congress. God help us.

Of course he could have been referring to the ancient, pre-civilized Vulcans ... perhaps the common ancestor of Romulan-Vulcans ..?

/nerd

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Of course he could have been referring to the ancient, pre-civilized Vulcans ... perhaps the common ancestor of Romulan-Vulcans ..?

/nerd

He's going nerd! Someone fetch a broom!

-Elwood Blues

I've got to tell you, die hard Trekkies scare me. The real die hard ones, that have the uniforms and actually wear them. The ones that actually learned to speak klingon. The ones who are constantly talking about the shows as though they were real. They are right up there with Star Wars fanatics, Oakland Raiders fans, and religous zealots. I'm always worried they are just a little too close to strapping on a bomb or something.

Just kidding guys!

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

So you would be negatively predisposed to a "Trekker Party" in parliament? :p"

They're just exercising control over a limited set (i.e. in this case the ST universe) to counteract their feelings of inadequacy elsewhere ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

So you would be negatively predisposed to a "Trekker Party" in parliament? :p"

They're just exercising control over a limited set (i.e. in this case the ST universe) to counteract their feelings of inadequacy elsewhere ...

Heh, I was joking Meta. I thought the Oakland Radiers bit gave it away. ;)

Thomas Sowell

Aha! So you are a (secret) Trekker! You even considered running for office with "Live long and prosper" as your catch-phrase, didn't you?

Heh, no but considering how that election turned out it would probably have worked better than the slogan I did use!

Thomas Sowell

/nerd

He's going nerd! Someone fetch a broom!

but he is right! :brows:

he really could have refer to that o:)

IB1OsQq.png

I've got to tell you, die hard Trekkies scare me. The real die hard ones, that have the uniforms and actually wear them. The ones that actually learned to speak klingon. The ones who are constantly talking about the shows as though they were real. They are right up there with Star Wars fanatics, Oakland Raiders fans, and religous zealots. I'm always worried they are just a little too close to strapping on a bomb or something.

Just kidding guys!

Good, I am no Oakland Raider! :))

:brows:

o:)

IB1OsQq.png