is there a difference between rpg and fps anymore?

Kalfear

:aiee:

All I am trying to do here is have a decent conversation on the topic at hand.  Sheesh.

It is fairly easy to make a third person and first person hybrid camera.

So your issue is with design I guess, and those poor sods have the problem of trying to please the finicky buggers such as yourself, and the general masses.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Bethesda did a fine job of it in Morrowind and Oblivion. Never had an issue with the camera views in that game. Other issues yes, but not the camera. :)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

So, they should just stick with third person then. Got it. :)

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

I just do not see how first person can be seen as more immersive or better than third person.

Edited by Sand

I am only happy when it rains, but that is beside the point. The case is not closed until the issues are resolved.

The first person and third person issues, Diamond.

Stubborn, yes. Prick, no.

I just do not see how first person can be seen as more immersive or better than third person.

It's more like your looking through a pair of eyes, I for example cannot see myself without a mirror, you may indeed have floating eyes behind you I dunno, but seriously, that's why, because the perspective feels more natural.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

Yet, first person does not allow for peripheral vision which is my major hang up with it. I can see things at the corners of my eyes so I can see what is going on beside me but in FPV on the game I can only see what is going on right in front of me. Because of that it breaks the immersion for me.

Edited by Sand

Never played Gothic 3 so I can't say I hate it or not.

Yet, first person does not allow for peripheral vision which is my major hang up with it.  I can see things at the corners of my eyes so I can see what is going on beside me but in FPV on the game I can only see what is going on right in front of me.  Because of that it breaks the immersion for me.

Actually you can achieve it, but it looks extremely weird because monitors are unable to really show the result to us correctly, perhaps a widescreen monitor would have better success... Most first person games use a 45 degree angle

Where what you really need is just shy of 90, if the camera is setup that way you get the result you desire but because of the view space it looks strange on a flat 2D screen.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

Whether or not something is immersive depends on how you feel about that particular something, so trying to prove to Sand (or anyone else) that one or the other is more immersive is as pointless as trying to prove a food he thinks tastes awful is infact delicious.

It isn't an issue that can be resolved, and the problem people have with you Sand, is the constant repetition, though I guess we are to blame too, because it's not like we have to reply...

Stop arguing, the point is that Hades would rather just play mediocre games in 3rd person than simply good games overall.

That's rubbish. Including both first and third person views doesn't make for a mediocre game.

Edited by Hell Kitty

It has nothing to do with including camera views. He'd rather just play the remaining 3rd person titles whether they're bad or good than the next best 1st person game. If he bases his gaming on the camera rather than the quality of the game, that says it all.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

IIRC, older games allowed changing the field of view. The image becomes a bit stretchy, but you get broad periprerial vision.

You can do it on Quake 4... I believe...

Basically the screen becomes squished Horizontally. Looks very strange, but you get the periperial vision.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

Yet, first person does not allow for peripheral vision which is my major hang up with it.  I can see things at the corners of my eyes so I can see what is going on beside me but in FPV on the game I can only see what is going on right in front of me.  Because of that it breaks the immersion for me.

But looking behind you is A-OK! :blink: