Space Strategy Games

MoO2 is indeed the hounds rounds as far as 4X space games go, but my fav space strategy game is probably Homeworld. I don't think I've ever been as emotionally involved with a game as I was with Homeworld, the way the story begins is just genius (and also the best use of a piece of music in any game in Adagio for Strings). It helped that the game was also heaps of fun and beautiful to look at. I really need to dig out Homeworld 2 and play through it sometime, although I doubt it'll be as good as the first.

screen01.png

Edited by Big Bottom

MoO2 is indeed the hounds rounds as far as 4X space games go, but my fav space strategy game is probably Homeworld.  I don't think I've ever been as emotionally involved with a game as I was with Homeworld, the way the story begins is just genius (and also the best use of a piece of music in any game in Adagio for Strings).  It helped that the game was also heaps of fun and beautiful to look at.  I really need to dig out Homeworld 2 and play through it sometime, although I doubt it'll be as good as the first.

It's not. It's good fun, don't get me wrong but it's kind of lost its soul.

Homeworld is probably my favourite game of all time so far. Had me hooked from the moment the Mothership left the spacedock. The whole tone of the game was so mournful. Wonderfully written.

Edited by Kroney

Dirty deeds done cheap.

Homeworld and HW2 are the only games that got space battles kinda right.

Empire at war mades for fun movie like battles.

Haegamonia is all about eye candy (trust me... you terraform a planet on there and spend the next five minutes going "WHOA" at the graphics).

GalCiv is an uberstrategy.

MOO is Civilization in space.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

MOO2

Imperium Galactica

Haegemony

Haegamonia is all about eye candy (trust me... you terraform a planet on there and spend the next five minutes going "WHOA" at the graphics).

not quite right, the story and the NPC-s were also great

(not to mention the well-developed tech research,

and the starships -use, looks, AI, ect.-)

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

Master of Orion 2. :aiee:

You need no other game than this one. :)

yes you do, MOO2 was the best in its own time. but in ITS OWN TIME.

It's like playing worms 1 on PS3 today.

MOO2 pointed out where this genre should go, and it all happened that way, it was a pioneer, but if you think about it, the main story wasn't either great or evolving.

It was also the first game where you could manipulate the look of your ships, their color, and your empire logo, this all is only possible in one game packed, without mods since GalCiv2.

IB1OsQq.png

Somebody already played that one? Jorian, what do you think?  ^_^

Romanians in Space upsets Hungarians on Earth

don't even mention that abnomination <_<

They say it was only a joke, but the insulting parts and the nazi-nation extermination part was only removed from the game after it became known internationally, and official protests started.

The romanian - hungarian conflict is real and still existing, such a game shouldn't be created as it is creating agression because of its (original) storyline, and because its alternate history from now on. It could have been better if they have created an alternate story BEFORe the current date, just like Red Alert doesn't say the current russians bacome soviets again, it says SU never fell.

(Other example: guess what outrage it would be if someone creates a game where the story says USA becomes in 4 years from now on a NS nation, even worse than Germany of WW2, its a huge difference if you write the story that way that south won the civil war, and anything changed because of that. That scenario wouldn't create a near-global dilemma because of pride and 'ancient' warrings)

PS: the other variants are historical based games, like real WW2 even games /FPS/RTS/ mostly, noone would protest against realistic, historical games, germans don't do it either, they just playthem. But in this case romanians created a future scenario where they can kill hungarians, and this all even without a good (or any) backstory, that was just an excuse for the killings.

Edited by jorian

IB1OsQq.png

Don't worry too much about that Jorian, it's not the first time historical RTS games actually f*** up alot of facts, not to mention the human tragedy during some events people had to bear. Ever played Imperial Glory? What a nonsense.... since when did Austria fought in Morocco? Anyway, I digress....

The premise is definitely dumb. First I thought this must be a bad joke, but it seems RIS is already out in Romania.

Don't worry too much about that Jorian, it's not the first time historical RTS games actually f*** up alot of facts, not to mention the human tragedy during some events people had to bear. Ever played Imperial Glory? What a nonsense.... since when did Austria fought in Morocco? Anyway, I digress....

The premise is definitely dumb. First I thought this must be a bad joke, but it seems RIS is already out in Romania.

Yes, and its banned in Hungary.

Sadly ONLY here.

IB1OsQq.png

Sadly ONLY here.

And not available anywhere else. I doubt they'd even find a publisher who is tasteless enough to release it outside of Romania. I think.... :'(

Sadly ONLY here.

And not available anywhere else. I doubt they'd even find a publisher who is tasteless enough to release it outside of Romania. I think.... :'(

you're wrong, it is there in USA, canada, france, and God knows where else

IB1OsQq.png

Homeworld, Homeword Cataclysm, and Homeworld 2. :D

Too bad Dawn of war was such a slam dunk, not because I don't like it, I do, but now Relic will be stuck doing warhammer games forever.

Incidentially, can anyone suggest similar full 3d RTS games that you liked, (PC only) no MMOGs.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Homeworld, Homeword Cataclysm, and Homeworld 2.  :D

Too bad Dawn of war was such a slam dunk, not because I don't like it, I do, but now Relic will be stuck doing warhammer games forever.

Incidentially, can anyone suggest similar full 3d RTS games that you liked,  (PC only) no MMOGs.

Unfortunately, no. But I remember a Space RTS in development at Digital Anvil, something close to Wing Commander. That looked pretty cool, but I think it was never released.

Incidentially, can anyone suggest similar full 3d RTS games that you liked,  (PC only) no MMOGs.

Unfortunately, no. But I remember a Space RTS in development at Digital Anvil, something close to Wing Commander. That looked pretty cool, but I think it was never released.

Freelancer? :thumbsup:

IB1OsQq.png

Freelancer? :thumbsup:

Nope, something else. Digital Anvil had lots of cool projects in development, but many got cancelled too. I once saw a video of that game, just imagine Wing Commander meets Homeworld. I think they sold the game to another company, but they never finished it, either. :*

Edited by Morgoth

Not true...Relic have already released a first class WW2 RTS Company of Heroes along with the DoW expansion Dark Crusade, effectively going into competition with themselves which might not have been the best plan since they're both very good games. The most eyebrow-raising news is that one of their next projects is a MMORPG...although thinking about it now it's probably a Warhammer game so you could be right.

Somebody already played that one? Jorian, what do you think?  ^_^

Romanians in Space upsets Hungarians on Earth

don't even mention that abnomination <_<

They say it was only a joke, but the insulting parts and the nazi-nation extermination part was only removed from the game after it became known internationally, and official protests started.

The romanian - hungarian conflict is real and still existing, such a game shouldn't be created as it is creating agression because of its (original) storyline, and because its alternate history from now on. It could have been better if they have created an alternate story BEFORe the current date, just like Red Alert doesn't say the current russians bacome soviets again, it says SU never fell.

(Other example: guess what outrage it would be if someone creates a game where the story says USA becomes in 4 years from now on a NS nation, even worse than Germany of WW2, its a huge difference if you write the story that way that south won the civil war, and anything changed because of that. That scenario wouldn't create a near-global dilemma because of pride and 'ancient' warrings)

PS: the other variants are historical based games, like real WW2 even games /FPS/RTS/ mostly, noone would protest against realistic, historical games, germans don't do it either, they just playthem. But in this case romanians created a future scenario where they can kill hungarians, and this all even without a good (or any) backstory, that was just an excuse for the killings.

So basically, this is a game Baley will enjoy?

manthing2.jpg