Aw Crap! Are you serious?

kumquatq3

Can we all channel our love into this guy or something? I saw it on a CareBear episode.

Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson (news, bio, voting record) of South Dakota was in critical but stable condition Thursday after emergency brain surgery, creating political drama over whether Democrats will control the new Senate next month if he is unable to continue in office.

Johnson suffered from bleeding in the brain caused by a congenital malformation, the U.S. Capitol physician said. He described the surgery as successful. The condition, present at birth or immediately after, causes tangled blood vessels that can block the flow of blood or rupture.

"The senator is recovering without complication," said the physician, Adm. John Eisold. "It is premature to determine whether further surgery will be required or to assess any long-term prognosis."

Eisold said doctors drained the blood that had accumulated in Johnson's brain and stopped continued bleeding.

Democrats hold a fragile 51-49 margin in the new Senate that convenes Jan. 4. If Johnson leaves the Senate, the Republican governor of South Dakota could appoint a Republican to fill the remaining two years of Johnson's term

I'd like to act out of character and start running around, waving my arms, and claiming this is clearly a fix up by the CIA.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'd be willing to bet that they get Health Insurance on teh State. Funy how legislators always do well on state programs. Like our dear MPs and their pensions.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

From what I heard on CNN this morning, the Governor of his state can replace him only if: (A) He dies; or (B) he resigns. Even if he is in a coma for years, he will still hold on to that seat until the end of his term.

I think the legislators had to create that law to protect themselves, since they so frequently appear to be comatose themselves that they feared someone would oust them before they actually came to and, you know, actually decided to do something.

From what I heard on CNN this morning, the Governor of his state can replace him only if: (A) He dies; or (B) he resigns.  Even if he is in a coma for years, he will still hold on to that seat until the end of his term.

I think the legislators had to create that law to protect themselves, since they so frequently appear to be comatose themselves that they feared someone would oust them before they actually came to and, you know, actually decided to do something.

You are correct. There is no 25th Amendment for members of Congress, and long periods of medical leave are not unheard of. In fact, even if they're not sick, there's nothing forcing them to show up for work. The only check against a Member not performing the duties of their office is the election process.

By the way, all this is not a law that was created by Congress. Anything to do with the removal of Members is Constitutional in nature, and the drafters didn't address the problem of sustained illness on the part of a legislator.

Bah. the old romans had a much more efficient system for weeding out weak senators :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein